Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry for my use of the word playa, hopefully that didn't turn anybody off of this thread =P.

Whether you're a sports fan or not, you'd have to be either a) dead, or b) Amish to not know about the recent altercations between NBA players and Fans. And when the NBA's hands were dripping with blame (woah woah, blame the NBA? Let me explain later) what did they do? They abandoned Ron Artest. They made up some weak excuse about how Artest is a "bad seed in a great system" or an "inhumane savage that cannot control his animal nature." That when a Detroit stranger pelted him with a cup, he should have pulled a Ghandi. Anyone else's bull**** detectors going off yet?

The commissioner of the NBA, David Stern, would love for everyone to believe that Artest is still a man of the ghetto, a man with violent tendencies and a menacing character. They would rather you not suggest that sports at large are turning into an arena that breeds and normalizes the behaviour of the rabid fan, and that Artest is a scapegoat for a problem much more systemic. Stern said the actions were shocking. Maybe he should pull his head out of his ass.

Artest does his job in front of 20,000 people, a job he does better than most people on earth. But Artest is hated. He is hated by people who know the name of wife, the name of his kids, and the name of his mother. They know every mistake he's ever made, and they use it against him because they can, from jump-ball to the final buzzer. They say things that would be grounds for verbal assault charges in any other workplace, but no one even blinks.

Then one night, things get out of control. After spending an entire evening being taunted and personally attacked during every trip down the court, with his emotions surely preceding him, a flying object hits Artest. Call it adrenaline, call it human nature, hell, call it reacting as how any normal person would, Artest snapped.

"But he's a professional athlete and should know better." Artest knows how to hit a 15-foot jumpshot and play man-to-man defence better than most in the league. The NBA doesn't train these players on emotional control, or how to step into a Zen-like state in a chaotic environment.

"But he makes $5 million a year." The notion that money should act as rationalism for deplorable treatment is simply absurd. No one would ever suggest that the poor deserve better treatment than everyone else so why should we assume the opposite to be true?

"Won't somebody please think of the childen?" We are talking about a player who was personally attacked. It goes beyond proper behaviour, because when an entire stadium looks ready to attack, the last thing you are thinking about are "the children." At some point, and maybe Artest's was premature, your body just goes into a defensive mode.

Stern called Artest's actions repulsive. I call the way the NBA, led by Stern, have glorified these players on the largest scales without recognizing its inherent danger, repulsive. It's impossible to raise the stakes, raise the prices and encourage fans to engage in the sport as if they were the 13th player without events such as this happening. Athletes have become public property; they are treated as if they are outside the realm of proper human treatment. This was a sad day for sports fans, but also a sad reminder of just how dangerous our sports culture has become.
-----

*edit* To clarify, I was in no way trying to justify Ron Artest's actions. Merely trying to prove that the NBA is trying to shirk the blame.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sounds much like an argument we had here when eric cantona drop kicked someone in the crowd at a football (soccer for you yanks) match....

but then again, both were provoked...if someone hit you with a cup in the street, chances are (in todays society) he would end up getting shot.... better that he only got punched or w/ever happend in this case dont you think?

as for atheletes setting an example...yes i can understand that, because a lot of kids look up to atheletes and try to mimic them or want to grow up to be like them...and when they get in fights in school, its no good their teacher saying "why did you retaliate? you should have come and told us" if his role model is doing the opposite (in this case the offender could have been arrested for battery(dunno what that charge is in the states) instead of the athelete retaliating.

oh well whatever...no skin off my nose ^_^

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What makes me sick is that the coach for Detroit (I think it was him) said it was "Like the NHL."

It was retarded, something like this only happened once in like 1978, and that was between a player and a ONE fan.

The other times players fought fans (the Tie domi thing in philly comes to mind) where different, the fan started it, and attacked the player, the player DID NOT go into the stands.

I don't care so much about what happened in the NBA, but when you compare it to another sport, that is ridiculous. People say the NHL is full of violence, well look at the NBA and MLB, they are both full of violence, MLB ecspecially.

Bah, whatever though, I think Ron Artest did the right thing, but I think him attacking fans who weren't involved was stupid.

Bolteh2

B
ah yes, i've seen the movies of that "event" :p

glad to see american games turn out like the european soccer events.. no sports, just neonazis and ****ed up retards beating eachother up.. gooo world \o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"oi lads! is' tops a diffren' colour from ours! lets kick is' nancy face in!!!"

Best answers
The truth is that while the Detroit fan had no right what so ever for his actions I believe that Artest deffinately got what he deserved:

#1: Anyone who is gonna cheapshot someone like he did to Wallace deserves to get dropped (not condoning Wallaces actions at all, as retaliation isn't any better)

#2: Artest is performing for the fans and everytime he steps onto the court he is putting himself at the mercy of the fans

#3: They are called "proffesionals" for a reason and Artest did NOT conduct himself professinally at all you can attack other players all you want but as soon as you attack a fan you cross the line

#4: Artest has had many accounts of unsportsmanlike and violent conduct on the court, had he had a clean record he might be able to play yet this year. "Yes he brought this on himself, and he was 100% at fault! He is being punished because he can't control his actions, just as the fan will be punished as well."

The only thing I can't figure out is why somebody would throw away a 6 DOLLAR BEER like that! It must have been a Stroh's. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom