Do i have this right?

K

Best answers
ok my mom will be here in a couple of minutes with my new vid card a verto geforce2 mx400 agp yes ive heard that geforce4s r better but since my comp is old and it has no vid card only integrated the geforce4 would choke it and anywayz i wanna know if i have the steps to installing it right so tell me if im wrong m8s lol

1st step:disconnect everything and take my cpu to someplace with floor no carpet and i also have to wear shoes

2nd step:take of cover and find agp slot while touchin the cpu cuz my static discharge might affect the parts

3rd step:gently intall video card into agp slot and after that install cover back

4th step:install software that came with vid card

5th step:play esf with less lag o and run it in open gl and i also saved groovys svar as well as mr satans so i should probably use those right?

please tell me if i have any of this wrong

K

Best answers
comeon guys tell me if i have it right? the vid card is in my room

Best answers
hmm yeah its good but I don't think it will decrease your lag... ? when I got my GeForce4 I did the same thing but my lag was the same... :]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lag does not depend on vid cards or anything I have an Ati Radeon and my lag is crap it depends on your internet connection speed.If you have cable and you have the modem to yourself no routers sharing internet then your a lucky guy and you will not have lag problems (Like me I have to get my damn internet by router my dad shares it with me.) I think that will clear things up. :\

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hes using lag as a reference to his fps. You have to touch the power supply though and not the cpu. As well plug the computer into a socket but don't turn it on.

K

Best answers
scorcher like into an electricity socket? and wat? everyone said my lag (fps) was because of my 8mb integrated vid card so they said i should get a new one but now theyre saying it wont help wtf? lol

ps.i know its gonna lag like hell wen i play online because of my 56k internet connection

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lag and FPS are to different things, lag = slow connection, packet loss.

low FPS = slow computer, low amount of frames per second.

Your new card will make the game run smoothly offline, your FPS should be at around 60(to check FPS open the console and type net_graph 3). Lag on the other hand will stay the same until you get a better connection.

Yes, you're setup sounds good, you're being extra careful which isn't really necessary but better safe than sorry.

K

Best answers
ok so with the new vid card my fps will be like 20 or 30 right? and do i have the steps right?

ps.um will it still lag if i play with others that have a 56k connection?

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it really depends on location. Say you live in eastern north america and you connect to a server that is in your general area, even with a bad connection you should be able to play with 200 -300 lag, but if you play with someone who lives in western europe your prolly gonna reach 1000 in lag.

Now as for a server full of 56K'ers you'd prolly get lag even if its close to you. Sense the person who made the server [lets assume its not dedicated, not many people with 56 K make dedicated servers.] has 56K then the server may be unstable.

I hope I explained it good... I know what I mean

EDIT: if you go on a 6 person deathmatch server with a host who has DSL or un-shared Cable[and its dedicated] and you live in the general area of the server you'll prolly get low lag, like 150 maybe lower.

K

Best answers
thanks and yes u did explain it right but i have a question ok lets say im playin someone close to me with my 56k connection about wat fps would i get areound 20?

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phatslugga said:
Lag and FPS are to different things, lag = slow connection, packet loss.

low FPS = slow computer, low amount of frames per second.

Your new card will make the game run smoothly offline, your FPS should be at around 60(to check FPS open the console and type net_graph 3). Lag on the other hand will stay the same until you get a better connection.

Yes, you're setup sounds good, you're being extra careful which isn't really necessary but better safe than sorry.
This guy sort of explained it, About 60, give or take.

K

Best answers
no i mean my fps while playin online with another 56k user around wat would be my fps?

ps.do i have the installation steps right?

K

Best answers
um can anyone answer my previous question? lol

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your lag will not be worse playing with someone on a 56k connection than someone with a cable modem or dsl. If you both have 56k connections its just that much worse. And yes plug your computer in to an electrical outlet but keep it off.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To answer your question yes, your framerate should be at about 60, unless the rest of your computer really sucks.

The best ping you'll ever get on a 56k is 150. You sould get cable man, it's not very costly these days, and it's totally worth it.

Best answers
well, your FPS will be always the same, no matter if you play on- or offline!
and to say it again, FPS has nothing to do with LAG! lag is caused by a bad internetconnection (e.g. your 56k modem), so you will always have lag, when you play online!

depending on your computer, you might get an impressive FPS boost!
some years ago i had a P3 with 650Mhz and a Riva TNT2 with 32mb RAM and i had an average of 30-45 fps (Counter-Strike).....then i got a Geforce 2 MX and my fps went up to 70-99!

hmm, maybe this is a bad suggestion, but i'm not that careful when installing a new g-card! i just take off the cover and put the card into the matching slot! - DONE
i don't care about doing that on carpet or touching anything or wearing shoes....and everything works fine! PCs aren't THAT sensitive!

K

Best answers
lol ur right trick and anywayz with the lag i dont mind as long as i get an fps higher than 10 wile playin online o and do u guys want me to post my sytem stats

ps.how much does the cheapest cable internet service cost?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"K" quit double posting, wait for more than half an hour for replies...

Anyways, you've got the steps down right, except the vid-card will only help your FPS and not your lag... its a pain to have 56k , I know, and the only thing you can do is get a better connection... however, it is good to get a new vid-card just to keep up-to-date... Leaving the PC plugged in to an outlet is a good thing as it creates a safe ground, just in case...

MrTrick Jr. it is smart to stay away from carpeted areas and the such as a little static charge could cause havoc on the componets in your PC... if you aren't wearing a static wristband, touch the chassis first to rid yourself of any charge...

K

Best answers
um ok these r my system stats:intel cleron proccesor,400mhz,120mb ram now i know wat everyone says get a new proccesor and some more memory but i just dont think its worth it anywayz with the new vid card i should get an fps of about 40 offline just in a lan game right but i have a question will my fps be higher than 10 wen i play online

ps.how much is the cheapest cable internet service

Best answers
Actually your FPS will drop online depending on how much infromation it can handle, the more people the more your fps will drop, (more information needed) you wont ever stay at a steady mark.

there are a few things that can makes happen but...its not eally important that this point I guess

I am not sure about this but I believe you TOUCH the POWER supply box, becuase it has a ground...not the chip...I believe its a piezoeletric type device so...I wony touch it. besides that your correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom