Desktop Shortcut

Best answers
I've dealt with a couple mods for HL but this one is just confusing me. I installed the game and didn't see any options to make a shortcut so I went to the esf folder in the HL folder and was gonna shortcut from there. Well I click on the button and its not directed towards the HL.exe and I switch it. Now whenever I click on it it goes straight into Half-Life itself and this is for all mods (Vampire Slayer, CS, DoD, etc..).

So what I really wanna know is was this install suppose to come with a shortcut (which means I either got a messed up install or my computer is wacky) and how do I switch those files back so I can click on them and get into the game properly?

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To make a desktop shortcut of ESF you make a shortcut to the HL.exe file and then add to the end of the target line -game esf and when you open that it will go directly to esf.

Best answers
That does solve the shortcut problem but what about the program icon in the folder itself? Properties isn't the same in both and it still brings me into the HL game instead of ESF.

Thanks btw. :)

Best answers
the "shortcut" in the ESF folder that you're referring to, is, I believe, an icon file(esf.ico, right?), so that once you have your newly created ESF shortcut (halflife shortcut with -game esf added in) you can go to the properties, and change it to that icon(in your ESF folder), instead of the standard half life icon.

if that makes sense..

Best answers
Well wait since I'm asking questions I have one more, since I was messing with this late last night all the .ICO files turned to the HL icon. How do I get the old ones back? Or how do I put new ones in?

Best answers
I'm not sure, most likely reinstalling the mod, but the special icon isnt necessary, it's just for looks :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom