• Laptop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ibook

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I'm off to university next year, and the big question is, do I get a laptop or a desktop. Desktop clearly has it's advantages in terms of the can rig you can make, but laptop has it's portability and compactness. I also had a friend suggest I get an Ibook, thoughts?

*edit*
Figured I should tell you what program I'm going into, it's Honours Computing and Computer Electronics at Wilfrid Laurier (For any canadians who know where that is :))

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're right, it is a pretty tough call. A laptop is ideal for classes, gets your notes down fast in an organized manner. However, I often find laptop PC's to have a rather insufficient power supply, so, unless you're near an outlet, things may get a little close in class. Now, a desktop is basically the opposite. You have a steady power supply, but it would take more space, and you wouldn't get the opportunity to put notes directly onto it.

As for the Ibook, all of the science instructors I had have one, and they seem to be getting nothing but problems with them...that's your jurisdiction, though. But I'd go for either laptop or desktop.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, most of my lecture halls will have outlets for laptops.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why dont you just get 1 cheap laptop and 1 cheap desktop?

Best answers
well if you think your going to be taken numerous notes and basically just copy what your teacher says, get a laptop.If not just get a desktop.

I'll get the desktop.I'm too lazy to write notes but a desktop gives you something more to explore. :]

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought I wouldnt like a laptop but when I went to college, my college furnished me with a laptop and now I can't go back.

My college is also going completely wireless. It's going to be sweet. But I vote laptop. I just like them too much now.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Laptops are unbelievably convenient. You just can't game well on them :p

Best answers
Originally posted by Scorcher2k
Well, thats not exactly true, you can easily game on them if you have a well built one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
aside from laptops having inferior vid cards yes u can game on them. im forced to game on mine for the moment. hmmm it is a tought call. personally id go for the laptop. but the other dud had a good idea get a cheap laptop and a cheap desktop.

Best answers
Originally posted by Scorcher2k
You fool!!! Don't underestimate the power of laptops!!! I have geforce 4 and P4 2.4 ghz and 40 gig HD and 512 ram LAPTOP!!!!
Im using it right now to make this post!!! wuahahha!! :cool:

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not saying you can't game on them. Damn, people jump at me lol. I'm just saying that the whole layout of things is a little hard. I can't stand using wasd and thats what you would be using. Plus I don't think anyone is going to be seriously good using the pencil eracer or pad (assuming you don't buy a mouse). I would love a laptop. Wireless is so convenient. My friend checks his email when driving and has his ipaq stream music from his house when he goes on hikes. Technology kicks ass!

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'll be in collage, I'd get the lap top, its not like you'll have much time to play ALOT of games, and you can still play alot of the new gamesj ust not ones thatp ush your graphics card to death.

Go Laptop

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just because u have a 2.4 ghz doesnt mean it runs at that speed. i have a 1.2 ghz and it only runs at 966 mhz and thats plugged into a wall socket. make sure to buy extra batteries if u get a laptop cause batterys drain quick if u are doing something that requires even a little bit of power to run

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom