Death Limit - Round Game Play

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hi, I've been thinking:

What if there was a round gameplay (Like Counter-Strike, America's Army etc.) in ESF and a round would end once an oppent, or an entire team
get's to their death limit?

Example:
Team Good: Goku, Vegeta, Picollo
Team Bad: Cell, Buu, Frieza

After Goku dies like 5 times, he will not respawn again and will be only observing till he's friends are dead or the oppent Team is destroyed.
That's good for a serval reasons:

1. You value more your "life" because they are more meaningful now (If you run out of deaths fast, you wait more) and the battle is more intense and meaningful
2. It sets a clear goal: Defeat the entire oppent team and you get a team score. (Good for clan wars too)
3. Remember it is only a gameplay mode so players join this kind of a server on their own will

Another suggestion is to have the same gameplay mode with a twist:

Have each character a different Death Limit.

Example:
Buu can die like 20 times before he cannot respawn again (since he's fight abilities ain't so great, he can take more damage before going down). - This is just a draft idea you can rhythm on.

Cell can die like 10 times before going down
Goku can die like 8 times before going down
Vegeta too.

This keeps the fight long but doesn't make it "an endless meaningless fight" since: this could be implemented to a "Last Man Standing" Mode and the Last Man Standing
would get a special score.. let's say "King Of The Round" score category. (This will also motivate players to kill 'em all and be that Last Man Standing. While the rest of the characters that have already died beyond their character's Death Limit, will watch. This might put a crown or something above the head of winning player or something.. and be seen above he's head the whole next round or something - rhythm on it too.. )

AND AGAIN! This is important! It is only a gameplay mode so people join in to the game only if they are willing to go with the server's gameplay. And I think those Ideas truely give you a great fight experience.

If you guys also ever considering adding Achievements to ESF, this would go real nice with it.

Sooo...
What do you say? :smile:

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I get your idea.
But that's a no.
This could be made a different game mode.
Otherwise... nah.. It'll suck.
I'm not sure you do. This is easy to implement.. Since there are many examples out there.
I'm talking about a game mode (not MOD). Game play mode just like Free For All and Team Match and all that stuff.

Default modes are Free For All or Team Matches (Like now). I'm talking about Extra modes. Most best MODS out there has a variety of Gameplay Modes.

P.S how can you say that would suck? Like you ever tried any idea like that before? No..

Edit: It takes a little bit of imagination.. before you break out with the next best thing. An instant "No" response is up to no great progress. Been there, done that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude.
Don't get pissed off for people not liking your idea.
All I'm trying to say is that it's better to have THIS MODE
like a completely different mode in the game or a MOD of the game.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The idea doesnt really work with ESF all to well. Unlike counter strike the waiting can take from 1 minute up to 20 minutes depending on the players. And who will wait round for 20 minutes just to be beaten by the pros in 5 again. You have to bade in mind that ESF has quite a small comunity compared to CS.

Oh the other hand we allready have a real good/evil teams option in 1.2 and we even have character limits, so that there can only be 2 Gokus in a server and so on. aditionally admins can set a frag limit for both teamplay and FFA so the first team/player to reach that number of kills wins the match additionally to a time limit. But aside from the time limit those options are not used at all.

Oh and as for your idea about Buu dying 20 times before he cant respown. Its terrible ^^; Any person who knows how to use Buu to his full potential is immortal. Thats why Buu is pretty much banned from use on pro servers. He is currently the most overpowered character in ESF XD

But yea regarding a teamplay game mode. the new CTDB design should give you just that :p

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The idea doesnt really work with ESF all to well. Unlike counter strike the waiting can take from 1 minute up to 20 minutes depending on the players. And who will wait round for 20 minutes just to be beaten by the pros in 5 again. You have to bade in mind that ESF has quite a small comunity compared to CS.
That's why this should only be a gameplay mode. People can see what gameplay mode the server is on the server browser before THEY DECIDE to join in this kind of game play. It's a fun option, and also not difficult to implement for the MOD coders. Or , In summry, this doesn't hurt nobody so anything you said about "ruining" anything.. is not true. It's a matter of prespective and choice. And different players have different prespectives about what would be fun, so if in yours it would suck, someone else would think otherwise.

My ideal perspective for ESF is: I want it to be as closer as possible to the "reality" of DBZ and competitive.

Oh the other hand we allready have a real good/evil teams option in 1.2 and we even have character limits, so that there can only be 2 Gokus in a server and so on. aditionally admins can set a frag limit for both teamplay and FFA so the first team/player to reach that number of kills wins the match additionally to a time limit. But aside from the time limit those options are not used at all.
Since I wasn't suggesting characters limit, I won't address that. However why not take the "frag limit" to the next level. The reason it's not used is because it's not an urgenting competition as much as my idea. If you reach the "frag limit", map changes.. so what? exactly! that's why people don't use it , because it's pointless. However if it was the "target of the mission", "the high price", the last man standing, This could be the s***. (With Victory animations of course :p )

Oh and as for your idea about Buu dying 20 times before he cant respown. Its terrible ^^; Any person who knows how to use Buu to his full potential is immortal. Thats why Buu is pretty much banned from use on pro servers. He is currently the most overpowered character in ESF XD

But yea regarding a teamplay game mode. the new CTDB design should give you just that :p
Funny, I though Goku is the overpowered one and Buu is potentially lame among players who love laming.
Don't discard my idea so fast because of first resistance to it. Think about how long it takes to win a fight.. with my experience with previous ESF 1.2
you can beat a character which by DBZ storyline is far more powerful with a character that is much weaker in a matter of seconds to a few minutes.
If the character could "die" a few times before they vanish, this would keep intense fights because: A. They know their lives are running out B. A fight would last long enough and won't feel like a quicky.. compare to real DBZ fights.

On a side note on game play balance:
I also don't believe an over balanced game gonna make DBZ fans any happier (As for balancing between very powerful characters and weaker ones). I also don't believe in over unbalanced (Like the laming of SSJ4 player in ECX fighting a n00b that just got into the game -- this is just for example, I know You guys ARE NOT ECX.). Some characters should have different advantages so users can master their own styles.. but that's another topic for a different, balance, issuse.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I won't repeat once more.
Dude.
Don't get pissed off for people not liking your idea.
All I'm trying to say is that it's better to have THIS MODE
like a completely different mode in the game or a MOD of the game.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The character limits were only an information thing. The second paragraph was mostly for the part that real good/evil teams allready exist in ESF and can be used. As per your own suggestion.

Health has been greatly increased since 1.2

As for what people decide. Its true. They do decide and with all my 7 years of being part of this community i can say that no one likes to simply spectate and watch. Nor do they go to well with team play ideas. As an example. ESF has a working team play game mode that gives the team a goal to reach. CTDB first put in as experimental in 1.0 with all the old maps having Dragonball support. The goal is to fight the other team for the dragonballs. The only times i saw a server with the game mode was when "dragonball fanboy X" wanted to see the transformations and used the dragonballs for quick PL.

I do kinda like the idea that your lives should be limited. But there is to many cons in the actuall gameplay of such a mode to see it resonable.

Taking ESF 1.2 into account:
1.) A good Buu user will never die. He can easily refill his health by eating a cookie or gain PL with a doughnut.

2.) People in ESF are impatient. The less time they are forced to spectate the better. There was an AMXX game mode tournament once. It was nice for about 3 weeks. Then it dropped dead. The reason was that noone was willing to wait their turn.

3.) Its a knock off for new people. In ESF player skill makes a huge difference. It doesnt matter if the new guy is SSJ or transformed Buu. The guy using Krillin who has more skill will kick his ass. And thus such a game mode would preety much mean a game of 5 minutes gameplay VS 15 minutes spectating for the new people. which is an instant turnoff.

4.) Lag outs. There are times when a person lags out of the server by a crash or something like that. The game registers that person as still in the server. He is an immovable obstacle, that can not be killed. So the result would be that if that should happen the game mode would become stuck with him and the only other survivor until the guy drops from the server. Some times it can take a few seconds, but i saw one guy who was like that for over 10 minutes.

5.) Beam spam paradise. Beam spamming is an easy way to kill off half the server while being totally protected from attack. So the first person to transform would dominate the game mode from then on out.đ

6.) ESFs ingame community has no sense of team play at all. Its all 1 on 1 and the moment you and someone else start working as a team you are flagged as doubleteamers, lamers and in some cases even kicked off the server. Pesonaly i hate that mentality of the playing comunity but its thee.

OK those were the cons. Now the pros
1.) A game mode that actually makes you think before shooting a beam at point blank range killing yourself along with the other guy, just to score a kill.

2.) Would prevent people from suiciding before you could kill them (though this point should be negated in the Final when you are scored based on your gained PL rather than frags)

3.) Therre is a slight chance to actually bring teamplay into ESF.

Thats about all i can think of, with a 6 negative and 3 positive score. Thats about as objective as i can see it. Feel free to add anything i might have missed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry man, gonna have to agree with these guys. People get impatient quick in this game. Let alone that takes away from the thrill of wondering if someone is going to rush you when they respawn after killing them.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's one of those ideas that could be a lot of fun but would require a lot of work to get it right. As said before, spammers and good players would dominate the game mode. It's not a bad idea, it just has a few underlying problems which would be difficult to sort out. Like long rounds and the learning curve.

Although a bonus for having more players alive on your team (morale?) could provide an incentive to keep your team alive. Currently, a good player wouldn't need the rest of his team.

PK, saying something "sucks" without any justification isn't doing anyone any favours. Try and be a little constructive.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the fact that he is looking for an actual point of playing.

As of right now ESF currently has no "victory" conditions. Every server out there has no kill limit so it just turns into a "how much power can i gain before the server shuts down or I get bored" I still want to see a pl limit to have real rounds. You know, the "First to 30 kills wins" or something of that nature.

Although a bonus for having more players alive on your team (morale?) could provide an incentive to keep your team alive. Currently, a good player wouldn't need the rest of his team.
A good player cant keep up with about 3 people trying to tag them, so team work really would be key to a game mode like this. The "1v1 or your a noob" mentality needs to die, the games a deathmatch and an entire team wouldnt stand down and shoot one at a time if you turn a corner of a fps game. that means your up next for the firing squad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom