Computer speed trick.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For those of you that love the biggest and fastest computers out there here is a little trick i have learned and will be using/trying soon.

Virtual memory is like ram that you computer uses but on your hard drive.
Now imagine that your computer wishes to read off the HD and read off of the VM, it cant do both at once.

So this can slow your computer performance quite a bit. This is what i advise to you. Get another HD small like 2gb and set your VM to use that drive and give it a value that is about 150% of your ram(max and min)
It is important that you have your main HD on the primary IDE and the VM on the secondary IDE. Both HDs should be on the master side of each IDE.

This information came to me from another forum, so I dont take the credit.

I havn't tried this yet, but ill; post back when I do.

Best answers
I've known that for quite some time. And it works great. So anyone that has a spare hd or just extra space on your 2nd hd, try this.

Best answers
I wouldn't really recomend it unless you really need it. Virtural memory is significantly slower then RAM.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
150% is also quite a bit extreme, you should only use 500MB max in the worst scenario. If you need more, then you need RAM modules first.

Best answers
vm is almost useless

if you (like me) are running 768mb ram, you should have it set to about 800MB-1GB

as that allows enough for a memory dump, plus extra info

(memory dumps are basicly all VM is good for :p)

also, more VM can SLOW down your computer, like has been said, if you want faster memory performance, get more ram DIMM's, but even then, you'll only ever see a speed increase with memory-intensive operations.

Ie, 512mb and under is fine for gaming, andthing over and it's most likely never being used, however, if you use a memory intensive program, such as 3dsmax, then the chance of your operations speeing up while doing thing increases, as operations dont have to sit 'in queue' and wait for free memory.

but, it'll only be a minimal performance gain if any anyway, so i seriously dont see the point, get your 2gb hdd and smack linux on it instead :)

Best answers
unless ure like me, who uses a stick of ram for single dbz eps :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom