Computer just freezing

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Okay, I have problems with mine computer.

Before when I just loaded up windows and I was on desktop after resident programs loaded, it would block if I didn't runned some program or something.
That was before I upgraded that computer.

After I done upgrade

( before it was:
256 MB DDR 300 RAM
GeForce 4 MX 440
HDD 40 GB
Intel Celeron 1,7 GHZ

now its :

512 MB DDR 400 RAM
GeForce 6600 GT
HDD 40 GB
HDD 120 GB
Intel Celeron 1,7 GHZ

).

After upgrade, I copied all the files from 40 GB disk to 120 GB disk ( some files were corrupt so I couldn't delete them nor copy them ), and formatted 40 GB disk.

I installed Windows xp professional ( the same old ones as before ), and Service Pack 2.

But now its freezing more then before, even when I have some programs running.

I thought it is the 40 GB disk problem, but I went to install Win XP on 120 GB, in middle of installation, installation freezed. So I think its problem with some computer components or something.

NOTE

When computer freezes I must restart him.

Is there any way I can fix this?

Thnx

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Well, its kind of stupid that you copied your files to the other HD (only if you copied your OS stuff as well). Of course you can't move some (or a lot) of files that windows needs. most of them if you do copy them, they will simple be corrupted if you attempt to use them on the new windows. You should've make a copy of your first harddisk with Ghost, so everthing will be the same as it would've been on the 40gig HD..

I think you should try a complete harddisk format, backup the most important things. And remove the partition with the WINXP installation, and re-add the partition with its size you wish. Then do a complete NTFS format, (not the quick one)

Also highly recommended that you make multiple partitions, for games, backups, downloasd. Etc.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Sky...
-.-"

I just copied all the stuff except windows then formatted 40 gb one with NTFS ( not QUICK ) before. So its not that problem.

Anyway, I just now tried. I took the power supply cable from the 40 GB disk coz he ****ted smthing that registry is in mess and that some system were deleted.

Now I went to install fresh windows copy on 120 GB disk - freezed both times I tried to finish it or write the cd - key.

If it freezes one more time I swear I'm gonna take a hammer and smash the damn computer.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Few reasons i could think off..

1), Hardware related problem (as you mentioned, a hardware could be screwed up, perhaps the Harddisk?)

2), Windows CD Problem, could be possible cd is broken as well.

3), I really can't think of any more, are you sure you used Windows XP to remove partitions first, and then add a new partition and then format it?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
1) hard disks are both fine. on other computers they dont freeze or smthing.

2) Windows XP cd prob - not. I tryed on mine friends. Is fine to him.

3) yes, I did everything on clean disks

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say it be your mainboard that's giving you this problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)