College O_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well It just sunk in the my brother is going to college tursday (2days :( ), I then started to think about my self, Im going to be 17 soon and be a junior in HS I then started to think about my future and that I cant just think about games and girls(I still can ;) ) and just pointless child crap. I need to start thinking about my future. Sence I need to look for colleges all this yera in school I need to have a major in mind, I need to know this to look for colleges. The only 2 I wanna do are Computer Engineer, or Business. The only pros I can think about is Computer=Future and Business=Endless jobs.

You will proly say ask you parents or something like that but my parents say it up to me and frinds are no help. I need a second opoinion, Post some pro and cons or witch one i should choose. If you are in college now and major in one of the 2 please tell me about it and what you think of it.

Please dont flame in here I dont want this closed.

Best answers
I am in the same exact position your in, I'll be a Junior in High School this year and my sister just left for collage yesterday. It wasn't easy, we were good friends, but it made me think of what I should go into. My sister has always had a 4.0 GPA, and I've never been able to reach that, all of my High School teachers/people compare me to her, its not easy, but I've been trying to live up to their expectations.

I've decided to take 5 computer classes this year, some were business also. I was going to try to get into a Tech university, but I have a feeling I wont get the scholorships that she does, maybe a grant, but who knows...

K

Best answers
dude i WISH i could just go to college sadly im only a sophmore but i think of college as fraternetys,parties, and no rules lol

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I start University in 2 weeks! I move into residence Sept. 1st.... *sigh* I wasted my youth...

K

Best answers
lmao u wasted ur youth muahahahalol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Slander said:
I am in the same exact position your in, I'll be a Junior in High School this year and my sister just left for collage yesterday. It wasn't easy, we were good friends, but it made me think of what I should go into. My sister has always had a 4.0 GPA, and I've never been able to reach that, all of my High School teachers/people compare me to her, its not easy, but I've been trying to live up to their expectations.

I've decided to take 5 computer classes this year, some were business also. I was going to try to get into a Tech university, but I have a feeling I wont get the scholorships that she does, maybe a grant, but who knows...
How funny is that, my brother all 4 years in his HS he has NEVER got below an A I mean all I see him do is go out and go on the comp I have NEVER seen him do any work he does all hw at like 3am and reports the day before there do he always mannages to get all A's Im mainly a B student He is going to Vilanova(somthing like that) its in PA im in NY so i can drive to vist If I want to The thing is I cant take 5 comp clases I have to take all core clases and because I picked my electives when I was a sopmore I was blid to college so i proly picked stupid ones, I dont think im smart enough for a scholship unless i do good on the SATs my bro is VERY smart but only got a 1100 on the SAT :p he tests really bad (on the big ones lol) I got 1300 on the PSAT I hope I do good again maybe that will help me in college, Another thinkg I got going my way is I got 6 other bros and sister not including me abd yes I have 6 (1 older bro 1 younger bro and 4 lil sisters :\ ) So the United Stats say I get 1k for every sibling so I get 7k off college. my bro got i think 20k cuz of school and siblings :( thats over 1/2 his college tuiotion. I just hope I get into the college i want, Vilanova i hope o_o

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if you are looking into Computer Engineering, you will have to deal with Physics courses...for me, that it an instant no-no, me and Physics don't mix -although I can pull off a pretty good mark in it, it still doesn't really seem like something I'd make a profession out of. Business requires a multitude of preparatory work, depending on where you want to go. For example, if you wanted to go into management, you'd need to take Calculus for Management.

My 2 best pieces of advice are:
1.) Do something that you think you would enjoy doing for the rest of your life.

Failing that: 2.) Consult a counsellor about it. I know that the school I attend makes you go to 1 counsellor appointment each year (this coming year being my last =X). My counsellor has given me invaluable advice about career choices, and I think your's could do the same for you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My Advice is do what your Heart tells you. Do what you will enjoy doing. And do it early. Like now. Do something related to what you wanna do with your life. And since your gonna be a junior in HS, get started on finding the college you want to go to.....UNLIKE ME. I sat around and slacked off more than a normal slacker. While I graduated....I never even took MY SATS. I can get into a community college provided I take an entrance exam. Easy. But It's a little too late for my to apply...so I'm taking a year off, moving to florida with my father and going to school down there....then whent he time is right transfer back up to new jersey so I can be with the friend I left behind.

JUST DON'T END UP LIKE ME OR WORSE! You'll be alot better off if you do your ****Now while you're a junior in HS. SOmething I should have done. I'll still be a teacher though, like I want.

Best answers
my brother AND sister leave for college this week, but im a senior now! i love school now

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah being a senior for me was like realizing that it is all over. my last year was the most laid back experience i ever had. then about april it hits you thats its really the end and that you got **** to do, people to see, and people to do with it with :)

Best answers
well like many of the ppl before me have said...make sure u get what u need to do done now it will do nothing but help...i got decent grades in hs (a's & b's) but didnt really know what i was gonna do when it came time for me to decide so i was rushed into a decision...which for me was computer science cause i knew i wanted to do something with computers...needless to say i wasnt prepared and ended up failing out because i didnt know what the hell i was doing...now i am taking classes by correspondence to be a computer technician...another great piece of advise is if u dont really study much now START...another reason y i didnt do well in college was because i never had to study in highschool and when i got to college i didnt really know what method worked for me...

about computer engineering..my roomate was in computer engineering when i was in school and he had tons of math..calculus and the like...he also had to take engineering classes (of course) that he said were not exactly easy...as for business..i dont really know much but like Majin_You said...u are gonna need a lot of calculus and several different types of math and business theory classes...so it all depends on what u have a passion for...if u like making electronics and stuff and are good at math then i would say engineering..but if u like dealing with diff types of business environments and again are good at math then u should go for business...it all comes down do u doing what u think is right for u..because if u arent happy with what u are doing then u wont do your best at it...

Best answers
Everyone walks into college saying "I'm going to be an engineer," 1 year later they figure out how hard it is and give up.

I suggest you go take indvs and trads and dip into a few classes that lead to your idea of a major.

If you like it, keep going, if you don't, no harm done, you only took a class.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am returning to college in about week. This will be my third year. I'd say I like college better than I liked high school in some aspects, and some high school is better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wanna be a mechanical engineer ^_^, My father, and cousin are Mechanical enginners so I already know alot. If not an enginner, then an architect. And if not any of those, a lawyer..

Best answers
my dad is a lawyer, im going into architecture i think, im also a junior in hs

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cookster said:
Everyone walks into college saying "I'm going to be an engineer," 1 year later they figure out how hard it is and give up.

I suggest you go take indvs and trads and dip into a few classes that lead to your idea of a major.

If you like it, keep going, if you don't, no harm done, you only took a class.
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

I never planned on going into Engineering, I am going for Computing and Computer Electroincs, and besides, I may even decide to go to law school after I Get my undergraduate degree.

*edit* Woohoo, in 15 minutes, I get to drive 2 hours to my University and write a Calculus Placement Evaluation :tired:

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My major is MIS, Management Information Systems. Which is basically business and computer science. I still dont know what I want to do with that major. But I had to pick one. :)

P.S. Calculus is a sinch. :p

Best answers
Evil_Trunks said:
My major is MIS, Management Information Systems. Which is basically business and computer science. I still dont know what I want to do with that major. But I had to pick one. :)

P.S. Calculus is a sinch. :p

MIS = Zzzzzzzz :tired: aka boring!

And your telling me Calculus is a sinch? Have you taken vector calc yet? :\ I disagree on that one. Calculus One is cake, so maybe thats what you meant.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have taken Calc 1 and Calc 2. And I actually got an A in Calc 2, where as I got a B in Calc 1. :p

Calc 2 included Vector Calculus.

Best answers
I am going to enter my second year as a Business Student at UNH(University of New Hampshire, Whitimore School of Business an Economics :laff: :cool: :) in a week and a half (September 1) I was in the same position you are in when I was in High School. Basically what it came down to was oppotunities, Business is very diverse so you have a lot of options. So that's what I went with.

Best advice I can give you is do what makes you feel happy, follow your heart. Remember you don't have to stick to one thing, my dad started college as a Chem major and the his junior year switched to Accounting. So I wouldn't worry about it...The most important thing is to have fun... o_o

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom