Codeing N000b here, flames r welcome

Best answers
Sorry about that anyways I would stick with C++ even in windows. VB is one of the ugliest languages there is its almost as bad as java...
Uhm, the C++ syntax is almost exactly the same as Java (except for missing pointers and object orientation streched to the extreme, and the elimination of wicked tricks like while(1))

There are no ugly programming languages, it's possible to code neat and understandable looking code in every language, although some languages force the programmer to do that more than others.

The advantage of VB over other languages, is that it's really easy to learn. The bad thing of VB is that the code it produces is a bit slower than C/C++ code, and it's hard to port VB code to a non Windows OS.

Best answers
do a MUD, you can get free source code if you look

and for those of you who dont know what MUD is, mud is a creation of the elder gamer the ones who long for the console, they are telnet applets codded to be a mmorpg, you simply connect to the servers and go, nothing to DL or configure since telnet is the basis of all internet dos(win too), and linux coms with it, i dont know about Mac, and a java telnet conn. is simple and an easy way of letting people get at it. its about the closest to a video game underground you can get, and with text you have limitless ability to customize the game and put in features

heres a good place to start: http://www.mudconnect.com/

good luck
oh and i wouldnt suggest VB, its to strict C/C++ is much better s its very flexible. and as for java, i'd say no to that its alittle to weak for my tastes but since your onl doing a text one its fine

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
used it a few times was pritty good fun, some hacker wargamnes and stuff (all legal the point of the server was to be broke into) didnt get far cuz i suck, infact couldnt even logon ;) :D

BrunO

Best answers
Yeah harsens but how meny people do you know that make clean java. All the java Ive seen is just code sprawlled over a page(or a few but still its ugly).

Best answers
Quite a lot actually. I hope your not confusing Java with Java-script btw (wich is, like all script languages, very unclear). Java is the main language used at our universtity. It's easier to screw your code in C++ as in Java. In Java the garbage-collector cleans up the memory you reserve, so there is almost no change on a memory leak. Java forces you to put every public class you use in a different file, so you can still oversee them quite clearly.

Java3D is almost as powerfull as OpenGL and a lot easier to code. With javadoc you can easily create html-documentation for your programs. Java will run on every operating system with a java runtime enviroment. If your program isn't time crititical, and your coding experience is low, i'd prefer Java over C++.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hey i thought u were going on a 9 week vacation hars :?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im not sure one of the other team members said harSens was away so it would set the beta back a little but then i see him postin :S

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah... though mabie hes doign what im doing and posting from a different pc

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i was postin at school until i ran out of internet credits, actually im supprised they didnt block the site cus i had a friend that visited the RF forums and he got busted but they have been getting slack

Best answers
I'm staying with my parents, wich means i'm stuck with this pentium 200, wich takes 15 minutes to start the inteam, and over 10 minutes to completely compile my code. So i'm only tweaking some minor ****, and coaching ssj4 and Joe.

Now back on topic. Hush hush!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
though so ;)

anyway on topic if im not mistaken java is easyer but u can do more with c++ its less restricting that java... but im no coder so im only going on the little stuff i read here and there

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
how much harder is C++ compaired to VB

and how different is coding event based things to coding a real time game

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom