CNN Exposed

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Last edited by a moderator:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
No offence, but that's not really news in general. In my country, you can tell more or less what politicians each channel is backing up.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
This should be major news in America. What country are you from Hawkman?

I really do hate CNN. They tried to push U.S. public opinion against Iran using some very shady tactics. The following is an interview by CNN with President Ahmadinejad, the parts in bold were cut from the interview:

MR. WALLACE: You are very good at filibustering. You still have not answered the question. You still have not answered the question. Israel must be wiped off the map. Why?
PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: Well, don't be hasty, sir. I'm going to get to that.
MR. WALLACE: I'm not hasty.
PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: I think that the Israeli government is a fabricated government and I have talked about the solution. The solution is democracy. We have said allow Palestinian people to participate in a free and fair referendum to express their views. What we are saying only serves the cause of durable peace. We want durable peace in that part of the world. A durable peace will only come about with once the views of the people are met.
So we said that allow the people of Palestine to participate in a referendum to choose their desired government, and of course, for the war to come an end as well. Why are they refusing to allow this to go ahead? Even the Palestinian administration and government which has been elected by the people is being attacked on a daily basis, and its high-ranking officials are assassinated and arrested. Yesterday, the speaker of the Palestinian parliament was arrested, elected by the people, mind you. So how long can this go on?
We believe that this problem has to be dealt with fundamentally. I believe that the American government is blindly supporting this government of occupation. It should lift its support, allow the people to participate in free and fair elections. Whatever happens let it be. We will accept and go along. The result will be as you said earlier, sir.
MR. WALLACE: Look, I mean no disrespect. Let's make a deal. I will listen to your complete answers if you'll stay for all of my questions. My concern is that we might run out of time.
PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: Well, you're free to ask me any questions you please, and I am hoping that I'm free to be able to say whatever is on my mind. You are free to put any question you want to me, and of course, please give me the right to respond fully to your questions to say what is on my mind.
Do you perhaps want me to say what you want me to say? Am I to understand –
MR. WALLACE: No.
PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: So if that is the case, then I ask you to please be patient.
MR. WALLACE: I said I'll be very patient.

PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: Maybe these are words that you don't like to hear, Mr. Wallace.
MR. WALLACE: Why? What words do I not like to hear? [the words edited out of the interview]
PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: Because I think that you're getting angry.
MR. WALLACE: No, I couldn't be happier for the privilege of sitting down with the president of Iran.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onNzrNEFs1E
http://current.com/community/93920538_amber-lyon-reveals-cnn-lies-and-war-propaganda.htm

As an aside, I fixed the title for you.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
This isn't news. CNN isn't the only news channel complicit in manipulating perception, and they aren't the worst offender. Did MSNBC air Ahmadinejad's speech in its entirety? Did Fox? Did ABC? None of them? Do any of those stations ever give a balanced opinion toward Iran, or any of our enemies? Why? Because, though they may lie more on one side of the political spectrum moreso than the other, they are very much the voice of the Fed, and are state-sponsored media. When a news agency can win a lawsuit that blatantly states they're allowed to lie to the public, you know it's time to perhaps expand your horizons as far as news sources go. Personally, NPR has never steered me wrong. I've been listening to them for over a decade now, and it's 11 times out of 10 in line with what the world is perceiving.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
This should be major news in America. What country are you from Hawkman?
I'm from Greece.

It was one of the reasons that I stopped watching tv. Not sure if they did tone it down tho.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, all the corporate networks are utter trash. You want news you're going to have to find an outlet that is properly independent. But they usually don't have the resources to cover everything so they have to pick and choose what they cover based on their overall ethos.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
In addition to NPR, which is seriously the best, AP is pretty good, too.

Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
NEWS media is a business. Just like every other business, they are in the business of making money. You'll be hard pressed to find a news outlet that is 100% unbiased in some way or another. Not to say they don't exist, just that so long as money is the driving force behind man, you're never going to get major networks telling the whole truth. You can argue that with the right person at the helm, yes. That would change it, but that will never happen because if that was he threat (yes, it would be a threat to those that want to control the media) they would be dead before they got their first order of business out.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Pretty much, they only news I really read is anything from WikiLeaks.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That isn't current news, though. Most often, its comprised of old material that's been scrubbed several times.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
NPR owns. Even if not for the news, "Radiolab" and "Wait, Wait, don't tell me!" are awesome shows as well as some others.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Network 1976 anyone?

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be.

We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.'

Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!'

So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!...

You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"
Edward George Ruddy died today! Edward George Ruddy was the Chairman of the Board of the Union Broadcasting Systems, and he died at eleven o'clock this morning of a heart condition, and woe is us! We're in a lot of trouble!
So. A rich little man with white hair died. What has that got to do with the price of rice, right? And *why* is that woe to us? Because you people, and sixty-two million other Americans, are listening to me right now. Because less than three percent of you people read books! Because less than fifteen percent of you read newspapers! Because the only truth you know is what you get over this tube.

Right now, there is a whole, an entire generation that never knew anything that didn't come out of this tube! This tube is the Gospel, the ultimate revelation. This tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers... This tube is the most awesome God-damned force in the whole godless world, and woe is us if it ever falls in to the hands of the wrong people, and that's why woe is us that Edward George Ruddy died.

Because this company is now in the hands of CCA - the Communication Corporation of America. There's a new Chairman of the Board, a man called Frank Hackett, sitting in Mr. Ruddy's office on the twentieth floor. And when the twelfth largest company in the world controls the most awesome God-damned propoganda force in the whole godless world, who knows what shit will be peddled for truth on this network?

So, you listen to me. Listen to me: Television is not the truth! Television is a God-damned amusement park! Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business! So if you want the truth... Go to God! Go to your gurus! Go to yourselves! Because that's the only place you're ever going to find any real truth.

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I never got this. I really never did. Why are so many of the important things corrupted in the states. It's really all about making money is it? No one seems to work for the people, just for themselves. It's so sad :(

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
This has little to do with making money and everything to do with ensuring the populace is behind our geopolitical decisions. Europe is just as complicit in this, as we operate as your steel blanket in order to retain our military and economic superiority throughout the world. While Europe tends to operate on a regional level, the US is forever working on a truly global level.

Argument starts here.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I never got this. I really never did. Why are so many of the important things corrupted in the states. It's really all about making money is it? No one seems to work for the people, just for themselves. It's so sad :(
Thats the way in capitalism. Contradictory to communism where you never work for yourself, but always for everyone else (except if you are in the leading party, then you dont work and just grab the cash that others earn for you)

Its like that because human nature is to be dishonest.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
This has little to do with making money and everything to do with ensuring the populace is behind our geopolitical decisions. Europe is just as complicit in this, as we operate as your steel blanket in order to retain our military and economic superiority throughout the world. While Europe tends to operate on a regional level, the US is forever working on a truly global level.

Argument starts here.
That wouldn't happen to be so that everyone in the world can use the same monopoly money, now would it?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Stability and control. Money is a means to an end.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
True, but what I find bothersome is - to whose standard? To what end? More than likely, stability and control of you and me, not for. If people want to build a better world, then we shouldn't build and maintain it in lieu of villainy.
If history is any dictation, imposition of ideology never ends well for democratic ideas but facilitates fascism like wildfire. People should exercise a means of [long-sighted] progress, not an [short-sighted] end.

/0.02

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
To the same standard it's always been held to. When have the lower classes ever actually been in control of their lives? Stability breeds complacency, and complacency is conducive to an environment where predators may easily feed on their prey without fear of retribution. The idea of "building a better world" is and always has been a fantasy. If the quality of life for an individual has improved, it is only as a byproduct of a system that is meant to benefit the few. It is the trickle down theory in all its glory.

Democracies, republics, dictatorships, monarchies, and theocracies . Different means to the same end. One political system is better than another, not because it offers any true freedom, but because it provides us with an illusion we are willing to live with. If we don't think we are under attack, if we don't think the system is corrupt or heavily favors one group of people above the others, and if it operates in line with our own mentality, with our own values (values which are taught and bred into us through the system we live to serve) then the system succeeds, and flourishes for a time. When people are no longer satisfied with that system, they begin to murmur and the seeds of rebellion are sowed. But are they successful on their own? Absolutely not. Either the aristocrats of old begin to choose sides in the hope that they can guide the new society to their benefit, or they are replaced by the new, and awfully similar, elite who only perpetuate a cycle that has existed in the West since they decided to settle down.

And that's why I'm going to buy 200 acres of land and fill it with cats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom