Climate changes and other things

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not another CC thread >_<.

Climate change is real, there is zero debate on it. Where the debate comes in is whether or not humans have an impact on it, i.e. have we sped it up / made it worse.

Scientific community is pretty much at a consensus, that yes, we've somehow ****ed it up.

Best answers
Global warming is something natural. Global warming has happend before, but ice-ages balanced it out. Mankind has sped everything up, so now we can only hope that an ice-age comes on time before everything is f'd.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What do you suppose will happen when another ice age will come? ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You win this topic. Congratulations.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Back to the topic please guys, I don't want to have to start giving out warnings.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Back to das Vaterland we go.

We simply haven't been around long enough to know whether or not Global Warming is a result of humanity's inability to view the bigger picture or if it's just another part of the cycle Earth goes through. I'm sure we've done some damage, but it'd be minimal at best. Earth is as resilient and tough as they get. It'll take some time, but she'll recover.

She'll probably have to create some diabolical disease that wipes out all of mankind, but she'll recover.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Climate change is real, there is zero debate on it. Where the debate comes in is whether or not humans have an impact on it, i.e. have we sped it up / made it worse.

Scientific community is pretty much at a consensus, that yes, we've somehow ****ed it up.

Well YEAH. Climate is not a still-shot, it's a movie. Thinking that it stays the same all the time is the human tendency to be surprised by change in general.
I think our impact on such a large engine is pretty slim though. It's mainly from this:

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/52905/Experiment_Hints_We_Are_Wrong_on_Climate_Change

Really, I'm more worried about fixing the ozone layer than about whether it gets warmer or colder. THAT is human-caused. Hopefully those super-trees get mass-planted soon...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to let the global warming thing be. Everyone has their mind made up on what they think causes it (myself included), so all it would turn into is a *****ing match.

As continued from the other thread:
"Peak oil"? Is that a term for when it finally runs out? That's easy, we turn to alternative fuels, and for other purposes oil is used for, we turn to oil generated from algae farms. Not sure on the details, but I've read about the theory all over the place, and when I attended the NYLF a few years ago, the team who won the absolute first place for their "Future Solutions" project did something along those lines. Really, I can't wait for oil to run out.
Peak oil is a theory of how oil production will continue over the next century or so. Basically, we're about to top off, and then start a decline as oil reserves slowly dwindle. The thing is that demand will continue to rise exponentially while this production falls. No big deal though, it's just going to cause fuel prices worldwide to rocket upward. It's not like oil drives the world economy or anything, so I'm sure you'll hardly notice.

Fresh water becoming scarce, now THAT is just jibber-jabber. Purifying water is a cinch. I don't think it'll ever be a problem.
That's the most shortsighted thing I've read in a while. Well done.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0305-05.htm

Canada is already coming under pressure from the US to sell our water, and it isn't even scarce here yet.

Last time I checked, there was nothing oil dependent on our power plants. Especially not nuclear plants.
Where, pray tell, do you think they get uranium from? Think about the logistics of mining uranium, and transporting it to the power plant, not to mention handling it after it has been spent, and say that again.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Thats not quite the main topic but since that was the main part of the argument in the other thread ^^.

In any case as said in that other thread we could have had dozzens of difrent alternative powersources to drive out cars and planes. And hydrogen is one of the main ones. You can get it from water (so everywhere on this planet), it gives more power when burning and its a lot better for the enviroment. The only problem with that thing is is that when it blows it blows bigtime.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only problem with that thing is is that when it blows it blows bigtime.
They're looking to make a metal hydride alloy to store hydrogen. All you do to extract the hydrogen is heat the thing, no mucking about with explosive gas.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not too worried I'll probably be long dead before global warming does happen. What I would be more afraid of is when that star we call SUN goes POP! Then really thats when we will have to worry but they say we will never experience that in our life time and probably global warming as well unless they come up with a pill or something to keep your life expectancy up so who knows frankly I'm not worried about it or care about it and that is all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Global warming is something natural. Global warming has happend before, but ice-ages balanced it out. Mankind has sped everything up, so now we can only hope that an ice-age comes on time before everything is f'd.
Needless to say, we'll have this planet ****ed long before the sun does it with its supernova explosion or whatever in 5 billion years :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom