Christmas quiz!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just a bit of fun :)

Here are the questions:

1. The first instrument on which the carol "Silent Night" was played was?

2. In Guatemala, Christmas Day is celebrated when?

3. Electric Christmas tree lights were first used in?

4. Good King Wenceslas was king of which country?

5. The name of Scrooge's deceased business partner in Charles ****ens' A Christmas Carol was?

6. In North America, children put stockings out at Christmas time. Their Dutch counterparts use?

7. In Syria, Christmas gifts are distributed by?

8. In Australia, usual Boxing Day activities include what?

9. In Sweden, a common Christmas decoration is the Julbukk, a small figurine of a goat. It is usually made of what material?

10. The day after Christmas, December 26, is known as Boxing Day. It is also the holy day of which saint?

You have one day! (today is the 13th)

Naz

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by [SAS]Orion
just a bit of fun :)

Here are the questions:

6. In North America, children put stockings out at Christmas time. Their Dutch counterparts use?

I think they think we put shoes because we use that when sint nicolaas comes @ 6 december

but we actually use socks here too ...

or we just don't..

the others I don't know :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hope someone attempts the quiz by tomorrow o_O

Nazghul, good guess! I won't say if it's right tho :p

Best answers
1) Guitar
2)January 4
3)1895
4)Banero or somethin like that
5)Jacob Marley
6)Shoes
7)Goats?? lol
8)Smoking?
9)Goat skin
10)Agnes

All of these are guesses...well, most. Some i know.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Originally posted by koblano
1) Guitar
2)January 4
3)1895
4)Banero or somethin like that
5)Jacob Marley
6)Shoes
7)Goats?? lol
8)Smoking?
9)Goat skin
10)Agnes

All of these are guesses...well, most. Some i know.

you go boy!

Best answers
I thought number one was a church organ. I think the story goes that at the last minute a church needed some music to play and the guy quickly wrote something and it was first played on a church organ.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wrong Dbztogeta :)

Here are the answers!

A guitar

The carol was first sung as part of a church service in Oberndorf, Austria. The unusual choice of guitar for the accompaniment rather than the traditional church organ has given rise to a number of picturesque stories (the organ bellows had been damaged by mice; the organ had been sabotaged; etc.), but in fact it was simply a matter of preference on the part of the author, Joseph Mohr.

On December 25

Guatemalan adults, however, do not exchange gifts until New Year's Day. Children get theirs (from the Christ Child) on Christmas morning.

The idea for using electric Christmas lights came from an American, Ralph E. Morris. The new lights proved safer than the traditional candles.

Bohemia

The historical Wenceslas was actually only Duke of Bohemia, not a king. He lived in the tenth century.

Jacob Marley

Jacob Marley's spirit was the first of four to appear to Scrooge on Christmas Eve.

Shoes

Dutch children set out shoes to receive gifts any time between mid-November and December 5, St. Nicholas' birthday.

One of the Wise Men's camels

The gift-giving camel is said to have been the smallest one in the Wise Men's caravan.

Surfing

In Australia, as everywhere in the southern hemisphere, Christmas comes in the middle of summer.

Straw

A variety of straw decorations are a usual feature of Scandinavian Christmas festivities.

St. Stephen

And here, we used to say: St. Stephen, a 9th century Swedish missionary, is the patron saint of horses.

Further c, and a kind note from Pastor Philip A. Gardner of Lancaster, Ohio, reveals that the Boxing Day St. Stephen has in fact nothing at all to do with Sweden or with horses. The Stephen for whom the day is named is the one in the Bible (Acts 6-8) who was the first Christian to be martyred for his faith.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Damn i haven´t found julbukk in my dictionary but I will find it sooner or later =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom