Chin ups!?!

Best answers
WTF Godhand... I never heard of using your chest to aid in pull ups... but it does make kinda sense if you use the Pectoralis Minor, not the Pectoralis Major. That is very good for someone of your size, Kidboy. I think i do around 16-18, and I weigh as much as you... So I am stronger than you! lol.

Pull-ups use 3 major muscle groups and many minor muscle groups....

Pull-ups use your Lats the most, followed by your Biceps and your Shoulders. They also use your Abs, Triceps (if you go down slow), Upper back, and your Traps, and MAYBE your Pectoralis Minors...but not as much as the top 3 muscle groups.

And yeah, you will not add to your max in 3 days man. I'd invest in some free weights. You want to build up your Lats, and Biceps. And keep on doing Push ups... you'll add to your shoulder power, which'll add to your bench, pull up max, and other things.

If you need help, give me a PM... I know what i'm talking about.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your pic says otherwise O_O
For the love of god dont take me seriously.
Anyway, you should do every kind of pullup: kunckles facing you and knuckles facing away, wide grip, normal grip, and close grip, and get your chest to the bar. Forget your chin you wuss.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been lifting for a long time, its just that breaking my neck in October of 2004 kinda messed me up, so i had to start all over again in October of 2005. Thanks for the advice guys. Ha I can do 20 now. I was stuggling on the 20th, so i know I got my limit now.

@Lee : Dude, that marines workout scares me. I'm almost afraid to see you over the summer, cause your muscles might kill me if I look at them the wrong way.

Best answers
Read my stuff again Kidboy :). Arms/Chest/Shoulders = Every major musclepart of those. And yes, your chest can actually help you far more then you think in pullups, specially if you are doing the wide ones which I was thinking about.

Also, sure. I'll do a video of myself doing 50 pullups, if you pay me or something similar to make it worth my time.
For me to prepare myself to do 50 pullups/do them, I have to get fully out of my workout rythm. Which I really won't do just to prove something to you ;p. What you believe is totally up to you =). And if your best gymguys can do 23 at most, then I truly pity your gym. I bet if I got Dag Ottar to try his maximum, I'd be standing there for 5 days.(Dag Ottar is one of the leaders of my gymnastics, also the man with the most muscular arms/triceps I've ever seen, but still quite slim on his legs/Belly, so he can probably lift like a mad mother****er).

**EDIT: By the way, you are completly wrong. No, pullups do not use 3 major muscle groups. Afaik, they use far more depending how you do them. For instance, if you do the wide grip one, you use about 5 of your major musclegroups:
* Arms/Shoulders/Belly/Lower back/Upper back(By lower I mean ass and the lower part, and by upper I mean everything closing in to your shoulders) I don't really want to go into the details of these muscle names, since I don't really recall them myself ;s.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Judging by your frequent picture posts of your body, I wouldn't say you weigh 145 lbs... kidboy; maybe like 160-170... No need to try to impress the ladies of this forum.

Chin ups are easy... that is... If I am thinking of the right way. Pull ups are extremely tough. Chin ups (I believe) are the type which use your bicepts... no? Well, I can do about ohhh... um... 20 somethin? Pull ups... like maybe 5

Best answers
This is the pull up/chin up I was pointing to :

The best one there is , this one works out most musclegroups, and also is the hardest. Already explained whats needed for it above ;p.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's a pull-up. Chin ups are when you grip it from underneath. I can do about 20 of these...

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
When i started with gym I had the same problem. I got stuck at ten and I couldn't get past it for weeks. My friend told me that it was a "mental blocK" and that I had it all in my head. The next time I tried I went all the way to 13.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was about to ask what a chin-up was.

I was thinking it was like a push up using your chin or some ****. haha im retarded.

anyways, i say i could do about 1 or 3 <_<

im weak as hell :\

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesn't mean you're weak. It just means you haven't exercised certain muscle groups. My friend can bench 290, but he can only do 10 pullups.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually Growler, I'm almost 150 pounds.

Camera is blurred because the flash made it so you couldn't see the numbers. So I turned off the flash which makes it a slower shutter speed.

Best answers
Maybe a half of one...

Yeah, I'd love to work out and get better, but honestly I'm hopeless unless I get concrete instructions... I'm funny that way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
Actually Growler, I'm almost 150 pounds.

Camera is blurred because the flash made it so you couldn't see the numbers. So I turned off the flash which makes it a slower shutter speed.
Rofl, he took pictures... Rofl.
Ahh yes... the old blur-the-evidence Trick... Oldest trick in the book, in fact.

Annnywho...
I have a fitness question...
I have been doing situps lately and I guess I just don't know how to do them. How far are you supposed to sit up, are you supposed to turn left and right? Do you cross your arms on your chest or put them behind your head..? I don't think I am doing them right and its annoying.

Best answers
Godhand said:
**EDIT: By the way, you are completly wrong. No, pullups do not use 3 major muscle groups. Afaik, they use far more depending how you do them. For instance, if you do the wide grip one, you use about 5 of your major musclegroups:
* Arms/Shoulders/Belly/Lower back/Upper back(By lower I mean ass and the lower part, and by upper I mean everything closing in to your shoulders) I don't really want to go into the details of these muscle names, since I don't really recall them myself ;s.
Son of a *****... you are absolutely right. I overlooked the difference between pull-ups and chin-ups. And I do see where your chest comes into play when doing chin-ups.

I was talking about pull-ups, medium grip to be exact. But I am right about one thing. Medium grip pull-ups use your lats, biceps, and middle back the most. And dont say I am wrong... because I am POSITIVE about that one.

edit: @ Growler - Well... if you hold your arms across your chest, then it is a sit up. If behind your neck, then it is a crunch. And if you twist to the sides while doing situps or crunches then you start to work your obliques and abs at the same time.

Just dont do what everyone else does and do 1000 of them a day. You WILL NOT GET ANYWHERE! Trust me on this one.

Best answers
Not saying you aren't right Walmart, I am just trying to help Kidboy, I did do one year of school for these kind of things ;p.

Btw Kidboy, you really should focus on Pullups instead of chinups, like the picture I pasted to you. It will help your body form much more also, but it is quite a bit harder (asuming you do it correctly).

Anyway, good luck ^_^!

EDIT:
Medium grip pull-ups use your lats, biceps, and middle back the most. And dont say I am wrong... because I am POSITIVE about that one.
I'll hit you up on msn about it ;p.

Best answers
actually..tons of situp's get you everywhere..ive done nothing but situps since ive started working out..and now..i have a 6 pack...:Di didnt do crunches..i didnt do the turn ones..just sit ups...so yeah..it does help..especially since rep on something like situp's gets your abs extremly cut..and when it comes to abs..you dont want huge abs...you want cut ones...with a decent amount of size..and repetitions does that..1000 a day will get you somewhere..although i usually do about 100 when i do my workout..

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chang Wufei said:
actually..tons of situp's get you everywhere..ive done nothing but situps since ive started working out..and now..i have a 6 pack...:Di didnt do crunches..i didnt do the turn ones..just sit ups...so yeah..it does help..especially since rep on something like situp's gets your abs extremly cut..and when it comes to abs..you dont want huge abs...you want cut ones...with a decent amount of size..and repetitions does that..1000 a day will get you somewhere..although i usually do about 100 when i do my workout..
Some fat guy can't do 1000 sit ups a day and expect to have a six-pack in three months. It doesn't work that way. Situps are an anaerobic exercise, anaerobic exercises generally don't burn fat at as fast or as efficient a rate as aerobic exercises (running, jogging, etc). You actually need a pretty low body-fat percentage to have visible abs. So it's not all about the situps.

Walmart Security said:
Son of a *****... you are absolutely right. I overlooked the difference between pull-ups and chin-ups. And I do see where your chest comes into play when doing chin-ups.

I was talking about pull-ups, medium grip to be exact. But I am right about one thing. Medium grip pull-ups use your lats, biceps, and middle back the most. And dont say I am wrong... because I am POSITIVE about that one.

edit: @ Growler - Well... if you hold your arms across your chest, then it is a sit up. If behind your neck, then it is a crunch. And if you twist to the sides while doing situps or crunches then you start to work your obliques and abs at the same time.

Just dont do what everyone else does and do 1000 of them a day. You WILL NOT GET ANYWHERE! Trust me on this one.
Walmart, you're only about half right. The main muscle group worked by pull-ups are your lats. But, there are about eight or nine other muscle groups that get used doing a pullup, not to mention stabilizer muscles.

Also, there is a lot more difference in a situp and a crunch than the position of your hands. For someone who acts like the authority on working out, I thought you'd know at least that much. In fact, you can do either sit-ups or crunches with your hands by your head or accross your chest, moreover, anyone who does them with their hands behind their neck is a moron asking to injure themselves. You should actually put your hands on the sides of your head and never behind your neck (unless of course you cross them), as you usually end up pulling on your neck, which not only does not work the abs, but can injure your neck and lower back. Your hands are not there to help you do the exercise, it's merely for balance.

In a crunch, you simply want to bring your shoulder blades off the ground about 8-12 inches, and stop. Where as in a sit up you are trying to bring your sternum into your knees or as close to them as possible (hence sitting up).

Best answers
Well said Opti :).

But just a small glitch. Holding arms behind your neck/lower backpart of your head is very great once you know the technique. I've been doing it for many months now, allthou I did start out with my hands following my body at start.

Reason I switched is because this is the way you get to use your maximum stomach capacity. Try it yourself, because when you put your arms behind your neck, you strech some of your musches so that your moving upwards becomes a lot harder. I also do them on a 120 degree instead of 90.

But actually, my workout instructor told me there were tons of risks if I did exercises such as these without proper knowledge ;p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom