cant get rid of startup programs

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im gettin really pissed at my computer, every time i start up, even if i disable everything using msconfig it loads a crap load of unneccassary processes, i think some of them **** up my internet, cuz sometimes it just doesnt work, i have to end all the non needed processes and unplug and re-plug my modem (i have broadband if that makes any difference). I dont think its adware i checked my computer just, got rid of the ones there, and restarted it and its still the same.... i dunno, is there sum kinda utility which will actually stop these programs from starting?

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im in the same boat as you. I usually have like 30 processes running at one time when I should have like 10. Things that just dont need to be running.

Best answers
search googl efor spybot search and destroy and get that (its free)

Best answers
actually spyware can be implanted into yout system without you knowing/wanting it to and it automaticly adds itself to the startup so thats why i suggested that program

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's absolutely correct. Spybot S&D has a list of processes that automatically launcha at startup. Also, manually browse your program files and C folders, as there are ways to dl entire programs and install them without you knowing.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
like i said in my first post ive already done that, but these are legit programs (most of them) just uneeded, like a sound driver configuration utility, but there are many more, i cant stop them from starting, they are in msconfig but wen i change it and reboot, they're all ticked again...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Most spyware programs (and I'm sure other legimate ones do this, too) check to see if the registry entries (that make the program starts when windows loads) for the program have been edited or removed.

So, if the program is still RUNNING when you remove its registry entries from startup, it puts it right back.

Typically (when I go on a spyware-infested computer, almost always an IE user), I terminate all running processes but the critical ones, clear out the startup from the registry, run spybot and adaware, install a different non-retarded browser, then reboot.

And that generally fixes it.

Best answers
could u list the programs you want ot get rid of? maybe that can help us find fixes for ya

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
For NT Systems, the average processes loaded when windows starts up is about 28-31 processes, all of them REQUIRED by windows, like svchost.exe (Which is loaded about 3-4 times), services.exe, smss.exe, spoolsv.exe, System, and winlogon.exe. The rest are either Video Utilities (nVidia, ATI), IM programs (Trillian, AIM, Y!, MSN, etc), Anti-Virus Services (Norton, avast!, Mcafee[spl?], etc).

If your running Windows 9x, then the processes number should be around 5-10.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i only need 15 essential processes, ive tried wat u said kurt, but its made no difference :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom