Building a new desktop

Best answers
I'm putting together a new desktop, since my old machine starts to feel a bit slow compared to what I'm getting used to at work. This will not primarily be a gaming machine, but will be mostly used for programming and some video-editing. I have the following requirements:
- Should be fast
- Should support my triple monitor setup with decent 3D support on all three monitors
- Should be quiet
- Plenty of disk space
- Nvida graphics card
I already have a good case, power supply and DVD player, so was thinking about buying the following:

1 CPSS-044 Scythe SCSMZ-2100 Samurai ZZ Rev. B CPU-cooler 23,90 EUR
1 MECS-078 Corsair Vengeance LP Series Black DDR3-1600, CL10 - 16GB Kit 144,90 EUR
1 MBMC-049 MSI X79A-GD45 Plus, Intel X79 Mainboard - Sockel 2011 174,90 EUR
1 SSSS-039 Samsung 840 EVO Series 2,5 Zoll SSD, SATA 6G - 500GB 314,90 EUR
1 HPIT-082 Intel Core i7-4820K 3,7 GHz (Ivy Bridge E) Sockel 2011 -boxed 274,90 EUR
1 HDWD-056 Western Digital Green, SATA 6G, Intellipower, 3,5 Zoll - 4TB 144,90 EUR
1 GCMC-050 MSI GeForce GTX 660, N660 Gaming 2GD5/OC, 2048MB DDR5, DP, HDMI 154,90 EUR
Total: 1.233,30 EUR

Any thoughts?

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I wouldn't recommend Western Digital's Green Series. If you're looking for a hard disk that is at least moderately fast, that is. Random access performance is really bad on these. I've had better experience with Seagate's 7200rpm disks.
Also, are you sure about going Socket 2011? Upgradability is seriously limited on Intel's "high end" sockets. Since you're not even considering a 6-core CPU I think it's a waste. Just stick with Socket 1150 and you'll be fine for the time being.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I wouldn't recommend the Westeren Digital Green Series as well, i've heard problems from poor writing performance to problems with IntelliSeek. The Westeren Digital RED series 4TB which is 179$ about 35$ higher than the green series you picked. Also i would go 3TB instead of 4 massive price drop, you could get WD Red for $129 on Amazon.com and thus saving even more money towards your GPU.

WD Red
These are almost like a hybrid between Greens and Blacks; their power consumption is really good, but unlike the Green which is designed to save power between uses, the Reds are designed to just spin constantly for continual use/availability. They're quiet, responsive, and have good speeds, but most importantly they have an extended (3 year) warranty.
You could use them as system drives and they'd perform just fine, but you probably wouldn't be getting the most of their cost; they're ideal for often used NAS devices, I also like them for RAID setups, particular RAID-5 and RAID-6 since a bunch of them doesn't use tons of power, but they're responsive enough to handle the distributed blocks of data, parity writes etc.

So to break it down a bit:
WD Black = Speed/high end use, extended warranty.
WD Red = Some energy saving, continual use, extended warranty, ideal for RAID.
WD Blue = General use.
WD Green = Energy saving for backups or other less frequent use.

The CPU cooler isn't not that all great if your looking for great cooling performance on the budget the all time favorite among overclockers is Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO sold at Amazon.com for $35.82 & FREE Shipping.

Some benchmarks: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2206&page=5

While the i7-4820K has great performance but does it really worth that price? I suggest going AMD for CPU.

Check this benchmarks: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-I7-4820k-vs-AMD-FX-8350

That AMD FX 8350 is not that far off the I7 4820k and since it's like 199$ on Amazon.com it's a bargin.
So You can save up 74$ and spend it towards a better GPU. Also the AM3+ socket is here to stay for awhile which makes it future proof for upcoming AMD CPU's.

Saving 74$ by going AMD CPU your budget for GPU is now increased to 228$ based of your inteded GPU. Which makes it tempting to buying a 2nd hand GTX 760 or GTX 670. If you also decide to save up from going 3TB instead of 4TB HDD you can save up enogh to buy 760/670 brand new or buy a 2nd hand GTX 770.

Last edited:
Best answers
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll swith to socket 1150, motherboards are a lot cheaper for that. So I'm switching to a
Core i7-4771, with an ASRock B85 Pro4, Intel B85 Mainboard, that saves me 100 euro :)

I was also checking AMD, from your benchmarks it seems that the 4771 is roughly 30% faster than the 8350. For me that's worth my 100 euro. For the same money I can get an AMD FX-9590 which seem to have roughly the same performance but is a lot less energy efficient (thus hotter, louder). I also wasn't able to find a motherboard for AMD that has PCI express 3 (not sure if that matters much though...).

Will look at the other suggestions later. Am also considering a hybrid SSD/HDD, any opinions on that?

@fuzzy
What are good/cheap German online shops for parts? I am currently looking at http://www.caseking.de/, do you have any experience with them?

Last edited:
1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think you would benefit more with a slightly slower CPU hence the FX 8350.
Which is cheaper you save 74$ and get much faster GPU like the GTX 770 instead of 660.
The FPS gap is massive.

Check these benchmarks: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-770-vs-GeForce-GTX-660
The gap is from 20 FPS to a massive 40 FPS.

So thats why i think having a slightly slower CPU and more powerful GPU you will benefit more from it.
In the end it's not gonna be CPU that will bottleneck you but the GPU.

and good cheap German shops Amazon.de?

Benhcmarks of WD Black 2 SSD/HDD Hybrid
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/WD-Black-2-DualDrive-SSDHDD-Hybrid-Review/?page=4

A hybrid HDD example seagate.. has a 750 Gb drive with a internal 8 gig SLC SSD About $150) will only speed up what is in the cache. Generally most of the performance whould come from the OS load, For programs and games load time is a gamble as you are limited to 8 Gb.
With say a 120/128 gig SSD, everything on the SSD is speeded up. However it is more expensive as the SSD will be around 100 bucks plus the cost of the HDD, around $130$.

For desktops, and with performance as an objective, go with a seperate SSD for OS + programs and a HDD for storage. The Seagate hybred would be a good choice for a laptop that only has a single drive bay - reason, might want more than the 128 Gb space.

Typical Windows + programs is around 30 gigs, add to that games you would install. You figure, 8 Gb in cache speed up, or the 30 Gb + games speed up.
In the end it's kinda your choice.

Last edited:
The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
and good cheap German shops Amazon.de?
Well, no, certainly not. :D
It's not that bad, but it's not terribly good either. Mostly, it's just the other shops via Amazon's Marketplace anyway.

I usually put all my components into a wishlist at http://geizhals.at/de/ and use the site's function to determine the cheapest shop for all components. Apart from that, generally acceptable shops include, but are not limited to:
Mindfactory
Hardwareversand.de
Home of Hardware
redcoon.de
notebooksbilliger.de
Cyberport
Jacob Electronic

Be aware: The company behind getgoods.de has filed bankruptcy, so do not order there.

As for the CPU, I'd definitely go with Intel. Unfortunately, AMD just can't compete when it comes to high-performance CPUs.

Also, my typical Windows + Programs is 80 GB. Windows alone takes up to 40 GB by itself with side-by-side assemblies and the like. SSDs are quite cheap these days, there's no reason to hold back.

Best answers
@Slotfreak
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not building a gaming PC though, the stuff I do is more CPU than GPU bound. Perhaps I'll actually get a GTX 650 instead and save another 50 euros.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think spending the extra $50 to future proof it slightly is probably better. The price to performance ratio on the 660 is much better. You might need the extra power in the future.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's slower than Normal 660.

750ti has 128 memory bus and 86.4GB/sec memory bandwith. While normal 660 has 192 memory bus and a 144.2GB/sec memory bandwith, also 750ti has 640 shaders while 660 has 960.
660 also has more texture mapping units, faster texture rate more render output units and faster pixel rate.

All in all 660 is a better GPU. If your doing video editing, rendering, gaming.. 660 is the way to go. Except if your looking just something to save power/money... i guess 750ti will do (ofcorse you can OC it but than your not saving power or heat).

Last edited:
Best answers
In my opinion, you should wait until the next series of Nvidia cards come out.

That way you could save money on the 650 since it will most likely get a price reduction, or you could get one the newer models instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom