[BUG?]am I only having this?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hey,
Whenever, Where ever, and what map doesn't matter, tried lots of different settings. And different times
but every time i play a game, online or lan doesnt matter, when I Power up/charge my ESF Crashes (just shuts down back to desktop)

I know i installed it the right way, just copied the esf beta map inside my halflife.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Perhaps you have installed it the right way, but are you using Steam as well? There are a lot of people that just report a problem without letting us know what they use exactly.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Sorry

Yes ofcourse i use steam:)
and my computer is good enough for the game i think:yes:
I can play games like Counterstrike Source, An Act Of War, UT2004 so ESF should be no problem:)

(How could i play this game w.o. steam :S)

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
People attempt to play this game without Steam, which is rather foolish. Either way, a few people are also having this problem. Honestly, I don't know the answer myself. You do play the game through Half-Life, right? Not through Counter-Strike or from Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
yes through half-life
if any beta tester would be able to reproduce it :cool: it could be called a bug..
i hope they find a sollution cuz im always the one having the rare problems :p

Im happy im not the ONLY one

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
None of the Beta-Testers have this problem, as said. I believe no one knows what is causing the problem.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
okay thats weird.. i'll take a look at some things, try some changes, i will post it if i find something that fixes it.

EDIT: Maybe has something to do with the steam error game currently unavailable?
i got this error from the start so i start the game through a shortcut "...steam.exe" -applaunch 70 -game esf_openbeta

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you sure its to do with powerup? i used to get crashes whenever i looked at people with my scouter on =/

Mog

Best answers
so you're talking about the open beta? (not 1.2.3) and you have a clean install with no addons or custom models/sounds/sprites/etc ?
and you haven't changed any settings?

you're sure there is no error message that pops up, and there are no error/warning messages in console before the error happens?

I don't know about what causes your error message... maybe your esf 1.3 isn't installed in a folder named "esf_openbeta"?
Dunno what else causes that error.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yes open beta,. not wrong directory, just copied the folder in the halflife folder, no error message, just shuts down to desktop, and yes its the powerup, i checked my cfg and e = power up, whenever i press e, it crashes

Mog

Best answers
Which video mode are you using? Software, Direct 3D, or Open GL?

Do you get the problem when you use different characters?

And also, (this is very unlikely to be it,) but when you press E do you press any other buttons at the same time?

The only reason I ask the last question is just in case you have a key combination in your operating system that might cause ESF to close.
For example, maybe you have "ALT + E" as a key combination for "Exit Program" or something like that... I know, it's very unlikely... :smile:

Best answers
Hey,
Whenever, Where ever, and what map doesn't matter, tried lots of different settings. And different times
but every time i play a game, online or lan doesnt matter, when I Power up/charge my ESF Crashes (just shuts down back to desktop)

I know i installed it the right way, just copied the esf beta map inside my halflife.
I have the same problem. If I powerup it quits to the desktop, or if I jump, it quits to the desktop.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Which video mode are you using? Software, Direct 3D, or Open GL?

Do you get the problem when you use different characters?

And also, (this is very unlikely to be it,) but when you press E do you press any other buttons at the same time?

The only reason I ask the last question is just in case you have a key combination in your operating system that might cause ESF to close.
For example, maybe you have "ALT + E" as a key combination for "Exit Program" or something like that... I know, it's very unlikely... :smile:
Please do give the information that Mog gave you, which is quite helpful. The game might crash because un-supported video mode, I will try the same to see if the problem also happens to me.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
well i have no idee which video mode i have, im not @ home and i will take a look at it monday morning.

if that would be it, that would be pretty cool, like a sollution to everyones biiiigggg problem

Mog

Best answers
Well, since none of the 3 people that posted after me confirmed it... I decided to just test the 3 different video modes myself...
All of these were tested in 1024x768 resolution, with the new character menu enabled:

OpenGL = Excellent, good fps, character menu works, and powerup doesn't crash game.
Direct3D = OK, worse fps than OGL, character menu works fine, and powerup doesn't crash game.
Software = Bad, lower fps than D3D, cannot see the player model in the preview area of character select menu, AND ESF crashed every time I tried to powerup!!!

So it looks like Software mode was your problem then?
I tried disabling several things and turning down gfx, but it didn't stop the crashing. :(

So switch to OpenGL video mode if your gfx card supports it; otherwise use Direct3D.
If you can't use either, then you may have to buy a new gfx card (or wait and hope a future release might not crash the game)

Next time, reply back when you find out the problem so you can help other people... :smile:

Best answers
it is the software mode that causes this.... I run the software mode too and it crashes... but i was able to play the first release... the one from jan.

Mog

Best answers
hmm, sounds interesting... I have all 4 versions that of the open beta installed atm.
I'm borred, just sitting around waiting for next release... I'll go find out which release it stopped working, and maybe find out why too. :]

EDIT: Yep. The very first open beta release worked fine, the next three releases crash. So something added in the first patch causes the problem.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
okay so its the software mode :( yes i had software mode enabled and both direct3d and opengl worked, never thought of that

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
because thats the only mode this bug is showing up

Guess the fix would be NOT USING SOFTWARE MODE
really, the gfx suck, didn't knew this before but this makes clear 2 why the sprites didnt show up in esf 1.2.3,
think software mode is default?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom