broken router, or ???

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
initially I had a different router than the one I currently use, it (and the modem) were both destroyed when my house was hit by lightning. a friend of mine had a spare router so we borrowed his, same brand, but different model. I bring that up because we are still using the power cord from the previous, and it is not a perfect fit, perhaps the problem was caused by this, i have no idea, BUT it was working just fine for months with it.

its a linksys something or another 4 port wired router with wireless capabilities.

around the time i purchased my xbox 360, the router started having eh, problems. while i doubt that that has anything to do with it, you never know. Im just trying to determine where the problem lies so i know what to replace.

it randomly decides to cut off the connection to certain machines hooked up to it, switching ports on the router doesnt help, which led me to believe that perhaps it was the computers fault and not the router.

IE,

my pc on port 1 is working just fine, my brothers pc on port 2 is not working.

if i unhook mine and plug his into my spot on the router, (which was previously working) it still will not work, but i can hook my pc back up into his port or vice versa and it will work again.

so it would sound like it was his machine refusing the connection no?

but then it started happening on my 360, the wireless connection, and my 2 pcs as well, seemingly random as to which one it decides to kick off. none of which did we ever change the settings on, they have been the same as they always have been.

i discovered that re-setting the router would fix the problem, but only temporarily >_>, sometimes it could last 2 weeks without fudging up, but thats only when we dont physically change anything around. (swap out a pc for a 360 to play on XBL, or in general just swapping any machine for another one, its only a 4 port router so we have to do this alot, and it used to work just fine doing this daily.

it doesnt ALWAYS drop a connection when changing something, but that seems to be one of the things that hastens it.

for the most part however. i find myself re-setting it several times a week, and its very very feckin annoying.

it sure as **** sounds like a router problem, but im not sure. I dont want to go out and spend 60 bucks on a new wireless router and have the same thing happen again.

oh figured id say, the error that the 360 and wireless connections give off are identical, "failed to acquire ip address", and so far as i know its the router that assigns said ips, so im almost positive thats it, just well 60 bucks is alot of money on how much money i make, and i rarely have the time to go anywhere to buy anything save for groceries with my mother being sick as she is.

had to call an ambulance a few days ago for her, and she is going to be in the hospital for a week or so, so if the router is indeed busted this may be my best chance to be able to run to best buy to pick up a new one,

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like it's busted. Just to be sure though, go into the router settings and make sure it isn't set to refuse any local IPs. If it is, just delete those entries (or, the entries for your own IPs) and vuala, cake. This is found in the advanced settings somewhere for most routers.

But if it's indeed busted and you want a new one, first it helps to know how fast your connection is (what's your ISP's rated speed?).

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i havent gone in and messed with any settings at all, so im sure thats not the case but ill look.

Sound Artist
Best answers
It is most likely the router. Try resetting your router to factory defaults (via the reset button)If that doesn't work, update the firmware to see if that helps. Another thing to look out for is having many connections IE, peer to peer or Torrenting programs, having too many simultaneous connections can actually drop your connection, i found this particularly common in Linksys routers. Another thing to try is to see what your IP address is when your PC goes down. if it's a 192.x.x.x IP, your router is still giving your devices a valid IP(but may be having a problem with itself). If your IP is 169.x.x.x, it means you are no longer receiving a valid IP from your router, and your device has assigned itself one. If you're using wireless, try changing channels, 6 is the most common channel and may result in interferences which will drop your connections, 1 or 11 are usually the best choices.

As far as the modem goes, when your connection drops, check out the lights on your modem. If your Cable/DSL/ADSL/Link light is off or flashing, it means you've lost connection with your ISP, usually meaning it something physical. If your ACT/Internet light is off(flashing usually means activity) It means your ISP is no longer providing you with a valid IP address.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im sure its not the modem, as its usually just 1 machine at a time that loses connection, and everyone else is working just fine, and its resetting back to the factory defaults that temporarily fixes it, then it messes back up again shortly.

now the multiple connections thing does interest me, now would these connections only be made while a torrent program was open? or could they be help open by some sort of malware on one of computers.

thinking though, would that just shut off the 1 machines connection or the whole network?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom