Black Mesa:Source

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I don't remember if there was a thread for this but I just started playing it recently...HOLY SHIT! This mod is beautiful and really knows how to push the Source Engine to it's limits. I've never seen a game look this good, let alone a mod. Besides the graphics, Gameplay is still stellar. Parts of the HL1 were redesigned, My favorite change is all of the Bio Section (Where you get the tau cannon and where the alien grunt is in the tube). I can't express how much I love this mod and I'm only at the dam section. There's a lot of exploration that isn't required too. A lot of small details everywhere just to immerse you into the world of Half Life beyond anything before. This is seriously on par with Valve on the amount of detail.

SERIOUSLY. PLAY IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's that good, huh? Ok then. Maybe i'll play it.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
It's that good, huh? Ok then. Maybe i'll play it.
It's okay, but to be completely honest, perhaps not as much as OP made it out to be. It's pretty fun to play, and they do make some scenes better, but I really wouldn't go as far as bring up as much hype as the text in OPs post was. All in all, I'd suggest that you play it, but it's nothing to jump up and down for. :p

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You forgot to hype the unbelievably long loading sessions that come out of nowhere.

Oh source engine.

Though seriously now I really do welcome some of the extra touches they've added.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's okay, but to be completely honest, perhaps not as much as OP made it out to be. It's pretty fun to play, and they do make some scenes better, but I really wouldn't go as far as bring up as much hype as the text in OPs post was. All in all, I'd suggest that you play it, but it's nothing to jump up and down for. :p
You joking? Even disregarding the complete overhaul, it's half-life. One of the greatest games of all time. I personally don't think he hyped it enough.

And yeah, we did have a thread on this game, though I'm sure it's buried by now. The only thing their missing is Zen. Otherwise, it's an amazingly well constructed mod.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I was giving my honest opinion on it. That or the HL1 Nostalgia+******* Amazing Visuals is talking. Either way Xen is still being worked on. This mod has taken 8 years to be finished without Xen done.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There have been multiple threads, the most recent one being created when it first came out, but they're all long gone by now.

I played this game for a few hours at first and stopped playing when I got stuck, but it was pretty ******* awesome. Probably going to pick it back up when the Xen part gets released.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea i never even finished HL1 ^^

So to me this mod is nothing special ^^

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea i never even finished HL1 ^^

So to me this mod is nothing special ^^
I played it until the HECU Marines showed up, and never gave it a second chance. Played and beat HL2 and the episodes.

Each entry has left me wholly unimpressed. Still don't understand why people think this franchise is something special.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, I really couldn't tell you why I consider the franchise one of the greatest of all time. It could be said it's a form of nostalgia blindness from playing the original HL at such a young age, but I can say for certain that I loved playing HL2 and on 10 years later. I've probably played through the entirety of the series at least 10 times.

So yeah, I dunno man. It's just one of my favorites. I loved everything from the combat to the atmosphere, and I thought Alyx was a great side kick.

Edit: I will say one thing for certain, one of the things I loved about the original is that you had to work to get the story out of the game. It wasn't just a series of cutscenes or anything, nothing was ever taken out of your hands. So you had to search around for those messages on the wall, or those pictures that subtly explain who is who, or to catch a breeze of a couple soldiers talking about what went on up top when the cascade happened.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought Deus Ex did all of the things you described, except better. I didn't give half a shit about Alyx, the shooting was terrible, and 49 years later, I still don't know what the game is trying to tell me.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think "Everything" deserves its own thread.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ugh, the degree to which you make me facepalm...I don't think my nose will recover. I give you a clear reason to spam for comedic purposes and you squander it on a one liner. You're not the Zeo I know.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ugh, the degree to which you make me facepalm...I don't think my nose will recover. I give you a clear reason to spam for comedic purposes and you squander it on a one liner. You're not the Zeo I know.
Because getting a warning or infraction for a one word thread is totally worth the payoff*. This is why no one plays Wii with you.

*There is no payoff.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The satisfaction is it's own reward.

And don't you make fun of my Wii. My Wii kicks your xboners ass.

Or it's boner. I dunno. Whatever hurts and also makes sense.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
You forgot to hype the unbelievably long loading sessions that come out of nowhere.

Oh source engine.

Though seriously now I really do welcome some of the extra touches they've added.
This,

The loading is way too long and the game sometimes jitters for a few seconds(running it on 1600x900, pretty much high quality settings).
Asside from the loading and jitters, it's pretty fun and as stated before, it's one of the few games which doesn't overuse cutscenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom