Distributor(s): Steam
Engine: Real Virtuality 4
Platform(s): Microsoft Windows
Release date(s): Q3 2013
Genre(s): Military simulation, tactical shooter, open world
Mode(s): Single-player, multiplayer
Media/distribution: Optical disc, Digital distribution

::The Hell is Arma?::

"Arma 3 will be the latest instalment in the Arma series by Bohemia Interactive Studio. It is a comprehensive military simulator that aims to create an authentic recreation of modern warfare that is accessible to the public. The series is built around Bohemia's Real Virtuality engine, which besides being used for the Arma line of games, is also used in their commercial military training simulator, Virtual Battlespace 2.

Arma 3's predecessor, Arma 2 (And it's expansion, Operation Arrowhead), was mildly successful at launch, and impressed reviewers with it's scope and it's sandbox nature, but it was criticised for it's lack of quality singleplayer content, steep learning curve, and for being a little rough around the edges. It's extensibility and mod tools, however, allowed players to create ambitious mods that pushed the engine to it's limit (such as Advanced Combat Environment, an extremely realistic overhaul mod. Play with goons playing ACE, added dozens of new units and custom maps, and allowed Dayzmod to come to be. I won't say much about Dayz, other then that it put Arma 2 on top of Steam's bestsellers, which presumably gave Bohemia a helpful boost of capital for the development of Arma 3, and that Dayz will not be released for Arma 3, but instead will instead be made into it's own standalone game."​

::The Story So Far::
ARMA 3 is set in the near-future, during the mid-2030s, where NATO forces deployed in the Greek islands of the Aegean Sea are trying to hold off a massive Iranian military offensive from the east. During the singleplayer campaign, the player will take the role of a British Special Forces soldier, Captain Scott Miller. Initially, the player must survive on their own after friendly forces are defeated in a failed NATO operation. During the campaign, the player will face everything from lone wolf infiltration missions to the commanding of large scale armored operations. The player will be able to choose different objectives and weaponry (such as UAVs, artillery, and air support) according to their play style.​

::pretty Pictures::

::Here's the Deal::

So Alpha starts on the 14th (Or today. The store is so backed up I can't even get the supporters edition). You can either preorder the game and gain access, which you should do if you intend to play it anyway, or you can beg for an alpha test key (3 alpha key giveaways per preorder). From what I've seen in various videos, they've fixed a lot of the shit that was bothering me (movement, stances, sighting in), optimized the hell out of the game so it shouldn't crush your system if Arma 2 doesn't and takes place in the near future so the team isn't completely hamstrung by modern technology. Like the other Armas, you're not limited to the land, and can take to the skies or go deep-sea diving to practice your tactical underwater basketweaving skills. I am, in a word, excited.

Last edited:
Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
SP or MP focus

Looks nice but I'm not really into army shooters so I'll prob miss it but it sounds a bit more interesting than BF or CoD

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Same thing as Arma 2. It has an SP campaign, but the game tends to attract people who prefer to play with squads/fire teams, communicate, and plan and execute objectives, so mp is where most people gravitate to. I don't think I've ever played through the SP in any of the Arma games.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
The game is a fantastic tactical simulator and I had fun with Arma 2.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
So I decided to just get the deluxe version over the supporter version. I tried to support them, but they wouldn't let me. My internet is so excited that I'm dling at 8.7 mb/s, which I've never seen my net do before.

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
What was the difference between Supporter and Deluxe anyway?

I'm guessing the Alpha is just the basic version right now

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Same thing as Arma 2. It has an SP campaign, but the game tends to attract people who prefer to play with squads/fire teams, communicate, and plan and execute objectives, so mp is where most people gravitate to. I don't think I've ever played through the SP in any of the Arma games.
SP is there more to teach you how to play in all positions for the MP TBH.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
So far all of the controls are a shitload more intuitive than Arma 2's. Also, each sp scenario is essentially a tutorial, and they'll walk you through the key bindings as they become necessary. The infantry mish is kind of stupid as I'm engaging enemies at 300m with a red dot sight. Who the **** does that?

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
So far all of the controls are a shitload more intuitive than Arma 2's. Also, each sp scenario is essentially a tutorial, and they'll walk you through the key bindings as they become necessary. The infantry mish is kind of stupid as I'm engaging enemies at 300m with a red dot sight. Who the **** does that?
Virtual personas ^^

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Those screenshots look amazing. Arma 2 still looks pretty good graphically to me, but these graphics kick you in the eyes. I really hope they fix the weird movement animations. Running looks extremely silly. Glad to hear they're optimizing the game too.

Badassologist Ph/D
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
anyone going to preorder/buy alpha? im thinking about it....

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Already did. Pretty great.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...otgun/steam+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun:+Steam+RSS)

I haven't seen anything in the way of major complaints, so for an alpha, they're definitely ahead of the curve. This is probably the closest any of you will get to being a tactical operator, so give a whirl. I'm not sure how these invites work, but I supposedly have 3. If anyone's actually interested, seeing as how they're a dime a dozen, I'll start a comp. If not, I'll just give them to my buddies.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
What kind of invites?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The kind that give you access to the alpha while it lasts. No idea where they are, but I read something regarding the 14th of March, so I'll just assume that's when they'll become available to the non-buyers.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Shoot me one, I'd love to give Arma 3 a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom