Annoying issue, need assistance.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll keep it short... basically whenever I play a game after a while (maybe 10? 20 minutes?), I get a massive FPS drop.. it's almost like I'm having a memory leak or something absurd like that. I don't really have much information on this or really know how to explain it.. so hopefully you guys will be able to help me from the information given.

Also just in case, my computer specs: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014735R/1014735Rsp2.shtml

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bleh.. figured out what's wrong. My graphics card is overheating again -.-

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe try under clocking it to keep it cool

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Or use third party software to keep the cooling at 100% at all times. If all fails, then either your fan is somewhat broken or something wrong with your card.. new card! :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Definitly an overheating issue. Don't know if you still have a warranty with Gateway? You could get them to fix it. And an advise to you: Don't buy Gateway :p They are notorious for overheating IIRC.

If they can't or won't fix it, you should check all the fans, make sure they are still working properly. Of course find out what exactly is overheating, and if you are feeling adventerous, you might want to take the CPU/GPU (depending on what is overheating of course) out and reapply some Artic Silver (properly this time).

If it is the CPU that is overheating, you can try to undervolt the CPU. No harm can be done, and no speed is lost, but CPU temperatures can drop up to 15 degrees Celsius on full load.
If it is the GPU that is overheating, and you are feeling really lucky. You can try undervolting the GPU. Downside: GPU undervolting isn't as easily done as with a CPU (which can just be done with a simple program), it needs flashing of the GPU's BIOS, which of course isn't without risk.

That, or buy a new PC.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to clean out the insides of my PC cause I've had this thing for a while and haven't cleaned it at all yet. :E

btw, thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I'm going to give my PC to some shop and they're going to install a new powersupply and a GeForce 9800 into it. Thanks to Joe and Grega for helping me out yesterday.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I upgraded. I got a GeForce GTS 250 and a.... 550 or 650 watt power supply. Installed it all by myself.. what a pain in the ass, but worthi t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom