America: The Most Racist Nation on Earth

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not.

A recent study by two Swedish economists has shed light on the world's most and least racially tolerant countries, and the results might surprise you. While the United States is ranked among the most tolerant on the globe (some may find this predictable, others may not), Europe presents a greater range of tolerance levels, with several countries in the second and third least tolerant ranges.The study was aimed at discerning a correlation between a country's level of economic freedom and its racial tolerance. The latter was defined by one simple question, as asked in the World Values Survey: Whom would you not want as a neighbor? Those who selected "people of other races" were categorized as intolerant for the purposes of this investigation. Countries were then ranked by percentage of responses: the fewer "intolerant" respondents, the more tolerant the country. While the Swedish researches found no conclusive results regarding any strong correlation between economic development and tolerance, a recent Washington Post article article went back to the original survey source and compiled a greater sample of data for the purposes of determining other potential relationships between a country and its perceived level of tolerance.

According to this infographic, the U.S. falls into the most tolerant category, with only 0-4.9% of those surveyed responding that they would not want to live near people of other races. Our neighbor to the north responded in kind, while Mexico ranked in the second-tier of tolerance, making the totality of North America look like a big amalgamation of racial harmony. While this may or may not actually be the case (people lie on surveys, the Washington Post authors note) it certainly provides a compelling lens for analyzing the less concordant results of Europe.

Albania appears to be the least tolerant on the European continent in the second lowest 30-39.9% range. While potential explanations for such a severe distinction from its neighboring states abound, arriving at a concrete conclusion for intolerance is likely a futile pursuit. Croatia, for example, ranks in the 5-9.9%t category (the same as Mexico), achieving the most tolerant in the Balkan region. Both ethnic Croats and Albanians were involved in the conflicts that embroiled the former Yugoslavia in the early 1990s, and such ethnic strife undoubtedly contributes to a heightened sensitivity to ethnic and racial relations. However, given its distinctly intolerant stance, Albania, for reasons not easily explained by its history of conflict, seems to have lagged behind in recovering from regional tensions. While Albania's ranking may be difficult to explain, it is not the sole European state at the intolerant end of the spectrum. France ranked just above, in the 20-29.9% range. In contrast, adjacent Germany and Spain, fell into the same tier as Mexico and Croatia.

Rounding out the bottom of the list are India, Jordan, Bangladesh, and Hong Kong in the 40%+ range. A potential explanation for this, is that the less heterogeneous the society, the less tolerant. While this logic might follow for Albania, what is France's excuse? On the flipside, one might argue that changes in patterns to immigration or perceived and unwanted changes to a social fabric might play a role. Remember when France decided to ban religious garments in public? That was probably a good indication of where France was at on the tolerance spectrum, no survey needed.
Ultimately, the survey presents an intriguing model for analyzing tolerance between countries. But with the above in mind, it is only a small piece of the larger picture. Wherever states are suppressing civil liberties in broad and unapologetic ways, intolerance is likely lurking not too far below.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/42729/where-does-the-u-s-rank-among-the-world-s-most-racist-countries

Based on my personal globetrotting experiences, I'm not surprised that this is the case.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
The only flaw I have with this study is that they are registering xenophobia only, and not people who are simply abusive to people of other races. I (unfortunately) know a few people who like to be around black people, simply to verbally and physically abuse them. They don't care about people around their neighborhood, they are racist in a different way.

Someone has to design a test to accurately get results from people who are racist in the way described above.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While they're at it, each person answering their questions should be put in an MRI to determine whether they're lying or not.

Because everyone would lie.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
While they're at it, each person answering their questions should be put in an MRI to determine whether they're lying or not.

That is definitely an issue.

Somehow, they need to get an idea of people abusive to other races without introducing their subjective opinions on the matter of the clients.

Best answers
Not.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/42729/where-does-the-u-s-rank-among-the-world-s-most-racist-countries

Based on my personal globetrotting experiences, I'm not surprised that this is the case.
I agree, however I found that both Germany and the US were also the most politically correct places I've lived at, so part of the result might be explained by Americans and Germans hiding their rascism in these tests.

As for France's excuse:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_civil_unrest_in_France

A test like this might be more informative.
http://peer.ccsd.cnrs.fr/docs/00/59/78/12/PDF/PEER_stage2_10.1016%2Fj.jesp.2008.03.003.pdf
According to recent theorizing in social psychology, social behavior is controlled not
only by reflective, but also by
impulsive systems. The latter is based on associative links that
may influence behavior without intent. The current study examined how prejudiced implicit
associations affect physiological and auto
matic behavioral responses. Our native Dutch
participants were immersed in a virtual environment in which they encountered virtual
persons (avatars) with either white or Moroccan facial features. In line with our predictions,
participants maintained more distance and showed an increase in skin conductance level when
approaching Moroccan avatars as opposed to white avatars. Participants’ implicit negative
associations with Moroccans moderated both effects. Moreover, evidence was found that the
relation between implicit prejudice and distan
ce effects was fully mediated by skin
conductance level effects. These data demons
trate how prejudiced implicit associations may
unintentionally lead to impulsive discriminatory responses.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree, however I found that both Germany and the US were also the most politically correct places I've lived at, so part of the result might be explained by Americans and Germans hiding their rascism in these tests.
Political correctness varies from state to state, so I don't know that the US, itself, is politically correct, especially with how willing racists are to tell you that they're racist. Racism and the ability to voice that hate tied with "freedom of speech" makes them very willing to exercise that right. Hatred by race varies by region, where some places will have a hate on for blacks, while others focus on Mexicans. It depends entirely on the local politics and social climate. I've been to states that were so liberal I wanted to throw up, because you couldn't say anything without offending someone. Thin-skinned to the max. I've been to states where saying NWORD is perfectly okay, and **** you for thinking otherwise.

That said, Americans don't hide their racism. We just tend to focus on it more than other nations because of the slavery thing, so it makes it seem like its a national epidemic (though its clearly not), whereas, in my experience, Europeans will be extremely racist, but not call it racism. They'll try to justify hatred of a race with anecdotal evidence, but never actually call it what it is. Here's an anecdote of my own.

During my last deployment, we stopped at Albania and had basically free time for 3 or 4 days. So we go out, check out the sights and all that garbage. First thing you notice are the gypsies. It was usually in groups consisting of an older woman, some kids and far enough away that you wouldn't connect them but close enough that they could react to something were a couple of dudes. The older woman would either just sit and observe the kids, or travel around with them, but their basic goal was to beg for money and rob you while you focused on the little kid dancing or whatever. No big deal, these are kid tactics compared to the shit I've seen orchestrated in NYC. So the kids are begging for money, and we're obviously American because I carry a 30 foot tall flag with me everywhere I go while Columbia, my bald eagle soars just high enough to survey the area. They try to pickpocket my little group a couple of times, but I'm just tapping their hands away and basically tell them if they want money, I want something in exchange. So they come out with these stupid Albanian pens for a dollar, that I'm pretty sure don't even work because they look so shitty, but I give the kid a dollar and he gets super excited and demands we buy more pens.

At this point, some Albanian dude notices the little swarm of kids and starts yelling at them. I can understand that they don't want gypsies ruining their tourism business, so I just shrug it off. But then more Albanian dudes start coming out of the woodwork and yelling at them, which kinda has me a little disconcerted. The first dude smacks the kid pretty damn hard, but it seems like t happens often enough that the kid is pretty unfazed by it. Same dude tries to hit another one, but as an American who is clearly better than everyone else in the world, I couldn't let that happen. So I'm like, "Guy, it's alright. You don't have to hit them." He gives me a death glare like I just had sex with his daughter (which I planned on doing until I saw her), and tells me they're animals so its okay. Dude tries to hit one of the kids again, so I ever so lightly slap his hand away and now the Albanians are enraged, the gypsies are looking at us like we just landed from a spaceship and there's trouble all around. I'm not a very good tourist, it seems.

Dude's 500 goddamn brothers come out of nowhere (there were really 7 of them, and I dont know that they were all related but that unibrow was ever-present). The 4 of us get back to back basically forming a plus sign, and we're ready to throw down, but a bunch of other people show up and are like, "No, no! Its good! Its good!" and it turns out they're trying to break up this little shindig before it gets started, which was super nice of them.

Because the Adeptus Astartes don't take names.

Anyway, so after all that bullshit, these kids run away and talk to the gypsy dudes who kept their distance before, and then they show up with big smiles and 10 minutes later we have like 20 goddamn body guards walking with us everywhere we went. For 4 days, we had an entourage. They explained to me that it isn't often anyone actually stands up for them or treats them like people. They either treat them like animals, or feel bad for them as if they were children. They choose the lifestyle and they don't intend to change. It's how its always been for them, I guess.

The point of that story is blatant racism was so ingrained in that particular country that smacking or beating the shit out of gypsies wouldn't even cause people to bat an eye. The gypsies aren't people. They're a nuisance, they're criminals, they're animals. Are the Albanians racist?

Of course not. Just don't let any of them see a black man dancing with one of their women, though.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I completely agree, Diomedes.

Also, inb4 tl;dr

Swag
🌈 Beta Tester
👮 Moderator
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
A lot of countries have freedom of speech though, but don't express it the same way.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not being able to deny the Holocaust isn't freedom of speech.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember a few of my friends having quite a bit of trouble in France when they went there for a trip. Apparently some parts of France are highly Anti-American.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
American isn't a race.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
American is a nationality. It was more towards a topic of discrimination than racism.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally don't even know what defines a "race" when we're talking about other Homo Sapiens. What's the difference between race and nationality?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nationality refers to the nation you're from. Race refers to your ethnicity.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So race would be black while nationality would be African?

Or is the race African-American? Confused, kinda.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Africa is a continent. Zimbabwe is a nation. If you were from Zimbabwe, that would be your nationality. Shona would be your ethnicity.

African-American is just politically correct bullshit.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess that's a plausible answer, my Euro-American pal.

Still, I can't help but feel that entitling other human beings as a "race", like they're somehow genetically different, is a step backwards in our society. Or, more accurately, a limp that doesn't seem to go far enough.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's no different that labeling a cat Siamese or Persian, unless you use that as a justification for hatred.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
It's no different that labeling a cat Siamese or Persian, unless you use that as a justification for hatred.
I KNOW, RIGHT? Dontcha just hate those stupid "Siamese" cats? They f*cking suck d*ck, man!

Best answers
“Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep.”

- Mohandas Gandhi

--- edit ---

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom