64bit OS better than 32bit when using below 4gb?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Is having a 64bit windows better than 32bit if you have 2GB of ram? I know that 32bit can only read about 2.5/2.6GB max RAM and 64bit is more useful if you have quite a lot of RAM. But, is getting a 64bit better regardless only if you have 2gb? Anything in performance or speed?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually you can go up to 3.8 wiht 32 bits with a patch.

As for performance. 32 bit systems cant fully utilise dual core or newer processors. So you should see some performance increase providing you have the hardware that requires 64 bit.

Best answers
I know 64 bit allows you to go higher than 4 gigs of ram, but I've never heard of 64 bit making under 4 gigs work more efficiently. I've never used a 64 bit OS though, so I'm not really the best person to ask.

But overall, I'm guessing it wouldn't make a noticeable enough difference to really matter.

Best answers
Think of it this way, if you are 64bit compatible you are holding your computer back. If you have a 32bit chip and OS you can think of it like this. 32bit = 32 highways of data going back and forth. 64bit = 64 highways of data capable of going back and forth. That is double the performance that is possible. If you have a 64bit compatible machine then go for it but in my opinion if you are a gamer and don't have a minimum of 3GB of RAM then you wont see much increase if any at all since 64bit uses more resources but if you have them resources you should see a big jump in performance.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'll see a boost in windows function probably. That being said, you might bottleneck at the ram. Depends on how much ram you use right now. Now keep in mind it's only going to give a boost to programs written for 64 bit systems. Of course it'll run legacy just fine, but yeah. Depends on what's happening on your comp. It's probably worth it either way. I'd run a 64 bit OS but since it's a lappy, I'd likely have issues getting the OS and Dell's stuff (IE to make the sound switches, touchpad, etc) to function. That and since I'll be getting a new comp in about a year anyway, spending money to upgrade to vista 64 doesn't seem worth it to me atm.

So base your decision on how your comp functions atm and future purchase plans.

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
At least 64-bit integers can be handled more efficiently on a 64-bit system and OS, thanks to the availability of 64-bit registers. :p

It is good for more RAM, but also good for handling larger values naturally as stated above. Heck, I never messed with 64-bit integers much in 32-bit Windows Vista till I decided to move on to 64-bit Windows 7 RC (until the real deal comes out, since Windows 7 is great already for something that is beta).

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
Aren't there games that don't support 64 bit windows? And what about bugs with games in this OS? I don't know anything, im just asking.

I remember reading Assassin's Creed doesn't support 64 bit windows, for example.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It might boost performance a bit, but don't expect huge leaps in FPS. You should also know, there are plenty of programs (usually third party programs though, but also a couple of games, and older programs) that will not work/work properly when using 64 bit Windows. Also, be sure that you have a CPU that is 64 bit capable, or else it is useless anyway.

Standard 32 bit can utilize up to 3,5gb of RAM. But this also includes your Video cards RAM if I remember correctly.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
This maybe an old thread but Do not bother using a 64bit OS unless you got software specificaly designed for 64bit as you will not see any improvement at all and to be honest all this crap about 32bit os's not using multicore cpu's to there max is wrong also.

As I tell everyone use what you are comfortable with.

Yes that 3.5/4gb ram limit does include Vram also, but another thing to know is some motherboards can get round the problem some can not so it's also hardware dependent too.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What Enigma said, the OS might improve a little bit in performance.
But that's about it, a lot of software isn't 64bit compatible, which means the OS needs to emulate a 32bit system.
Emulation is never faster.

So unless you're going specificly for 64bit software on your 64bit OS, don't bother with it.
if you're currently running a 64bit OS though, just keep it.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
What Enigma said, the OS might improve a little bit in performance.
But that's about it, a lot of software isn't 64bit compatible, which means the OS needs to emulate a 32bit system.
Emulation is never faster.

So unless you're going specificly for 64bit software on your 64bit OS, don't bother with it.
if you're currently running a 64bit OS though, just keep it.
thats not really true. the x86_64 architecture( e.g. Core 2 Duo ) understands 32 and 64 bit instruction codes which means 32 bit operations are as fast as on normal x86 cpu's, but you will get definitly a performance boost with 64bit applications

if you have a x86_64 cpu try some linux live cds, one for 32bit and one for 64bit and do some benchmark tests then.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True. Early last year I upgraded to 64-bit across all Systems and games run better than ever and the amount of apps that don't run is very small, mainly dos, but DOSBOX exists for such reasons...

Overall, 64-bit is very stable and the future, unless we move onto what is beyond 64-bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom