3D, is it new D?

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um, sorry for the stupid topic name, heh.

This is mostly about strategic games. Let me start with Command & Conquer. I was a big fan all the way. Starting with C&C Gold, Red Alert (normal, aftermath, counterstrike), Tiberian Sun, Tiberiun Sun Firestorm, Red Alert 2, Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge and then "C&C Generals". Although tons of people love this new look, I would much prefer one of the older ones when playing online with a friend. I dunno why, but I just love the overhead look and really enjoy playing like that and Generals just seems sorta 'newish' with the look, etc. Maybe I'm one of those guys who doesn't like too much of a change, but whatever - my question is what is your opinion on this? Prefer the new look or the older one?

Then the same thing happens to Age of Empires and other series by Microsoft. I loved AOE, AOE2, Conqueror's expansion and even Age of Mythology. But when it comes to new ones like Empire Earth by sierra and others, they just suck. :x

Then we get Duke Nukem... big fan of Duke3D - "It's time to chew some gum and kick some ass!". And then we get these newer ones like the 2D/3D one mixed together - manhatten project or something ... didn't play it but saw it over at a friends house... and compared to others - that sucked.

So what I'm asking is... all these new GAME STYLE CHANGES ["NOT Graphics Enhancements"].... does everyone seem to like them or are there a few who like the older looks? I'm one of the oldies, I guess.

Anyway, hope I get a couple of replies to this and sorry for writing a bit too long. :p

*Edit* - I also heard some stuff about "stereo quake effects" from Val... dunno what it was as that screenshot I saw rather made me nausiatic instead of making me impressed...

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i played red alert 2 alot, with friends mostly.
so i would have to say i like the older looks better. i really dont like major changes in games with a series.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, i'm right with you groov, the newer games "style and look" if you will, aren't as good as the older games. Me for example, i love 2d Overhead RTS's that don't include a rotating camera. Don't know why, but i like it 2d, and stationary. Starcraft and Total Annihilation are my two favorite RTS's and probably will always be.

Duke nukem manhatten project was lame, i played it at a friends house, and it's just not as much fun as the others. Sure, duke is funny, but not even his humor can help that game.

I know this is off-topic, but you reminded me of Die by the Sword, Very old game, but one of my favorite 3rd person games.

Best answers
Honestly my preference between 2D and 3D depends on the type of game. For RTS I aggree with Gr00vy that the 2D style is beter, that along with RPGs, but some games like FPSs are much beter in 3D imagin trying to play ESF using the Build engine from DN3D. *shuders*

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
grOOvy said:
*Edit* - I also heard some stuff about "stereo quake effects" from Val... dunno what it was as that screenshot I saw rather made me nausiatic instead of making me impressed...

I dont know about you but I thought it was very cool. I am going to try it when I get home. Also all the new games are personal taste. Some of the newer completely 3D stuff like C&C generals we are not use to because we grew up with classic sprites on 2D backgrounds.

Best answers
It raises a good debate really... I personally would like to see Starcraft 2 with something like Warcraft III graphics because they didnt make it as '3d' as they could have. Also I think Blizzard should be worrying about SC2 not SC Ghost thats probably gonna suck :\
And then there is WC going to the MMORPG world. I myself think its an excellant idea, its just the kind of game for it. But I've heard others say that they think Blizzard will **** it up. I dont agree.. but it could happen.

Best answers
I myself am a big fan of strategies, and of course loved Westwood's Command&Conquer, Red Alert, Add-ons, upgrades, AOE (All of 'm) and AOM. Generals, in my opinion, was a bit of a sad thing to me, allthough the gameplay was quite ok, I liked the older versions much better. And no matter how much I played it, I didn't like it that much as the older versions.

Then we had Age of Empires I, II and The Conquerers (expansion). All 3 fine to play, cool to multiplayer and I couldn't get enough of it. Always was a fan of History and such. Played Empire Earth after that, I didn't like it at all and quit it real quickly.

Quite a time after that Age of Mythology came out, a FANTASTIC game. Couldn't get enough of it, and liked the gameplay/story much better than AOE. I couldn't multiplayer it for some reason and therefore it got a bit boring after playing it constantly.

Duke Nukem, liked the first 2D game that came out, good ol' days. Didn't like the other versions that came out later on, really sucked.

At long last, Warcraft 3 came out. I really, REALLY loved that game and still do now that there's an Expansion called "The Frozen Throne" out of it too. I still enjoy the game even though I cannot multiplayer it, the singleplayer just turns me on :p Even if it isn't topic related, still had to say it, just HAD!

Best answers
I find that implementing a 3d aspect to an RTS game adds new strategic depth, considering unit placement and camera angles, but when it comes to down-to-the-core fun, I would much rather some beautiful 2d sprites for an RTS game, considering that I've seen recent 2d games that look just astounding, so not everything needs to be 3d.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Believe me, it kills me to know that none of the functioning computers in my house can run Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, and Blood anymore. I suppose you can say there is a certain quaintness to the older games that draws you back onto them. I, myself, started with that genre (I pity people who couldn't :eek:), Doom, Duke 3D, the original C&C, WC 1, etc., etc. If DOS 6 still came standard on computers, I'd be playing all of 'em again.

However, that's not to say that the newer style changes aren't neat. Take, for instance, HL2. There is a different sort of fun running from enemies that can knock down a barricaded door than there is running from Pig-Cops. HOWEVER, it's not necessarily better, just..."more invlolved". But when you get more and more realism, it makes me wonder whether or not I even play games for realism or not o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i agree nothing beats some of thoes classics and it is a shame u cant run them on the newer pc's

i remember playing duke nukem and all thoes for the first time and going wow these fx are so real and high tech! now we look back and go man the gba can do better than that :rolleyes:

so sad how people today only care about fx and not about how much fun the game is

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hsu said:
Also all the new games are personal taste. Some of the newer completely 3D stuff like C&C generals we are not use to because we grew up with classic sprites on 2D backgrounds.
You could be right, i have played many more 2D RTS's than i have 3D, but i just plain don't like them as much. Don't get me wrong, the games are still good, but there's something so much more appealing about 2D RTS's.

My view on FPS's is a lot different, i love the new FPS's they're getting a lot better. I still think CS is the best one right now, just because of the weapon system, and it's never ending fun factor.

Best answers
this thread just got me thinking......well lets say if anyone has played star craft with zerg u know that u can make 400 lings...well if there will be a starcraft 2 with 3D dont u think than when there is a ling mass the server will turn in the Ghetto master land of laggish ghettoness.......etc etc well i was just thinking of this because i have heard of sc2 comeing 2004

Best answers
SC2 coming in 2004 in my mind is not at all likely, and will not happen, heres why: Blizzard has a weird thing they do when it comes to releasing their games, when it comes to the HUGE ones, like WoW or SC2, it'll take close to a year after announcing it for the beta to be announced, then months later they will release the beta for the select 10,000. After that they let people play they crap out of the beta for about 6 months then people sit and wait and finally it comes out about a month after that.
But Buce is right SC2 isnt gonna be fun when you cant have the 4 million lings without major lag and choppiness. Im hopin that Blizzard comes out with a REALLY nice engine, that could have some aspects of 3d but not THAT much, something like that new AOM I think it is. That game is kind of like 2.7D heh.

Best answers
I'd have to agree that newer games don't match up to some of the newer ones

Lookslike they find eye-candy more important than gameplay nowadays....I've played some games where they had great graphics and crap gameplay....and of course games with low quality graphics and good gameplay (coughRAcough)

I'd rather play on my SNES than play Counter-Strike(but hey theres ESF,NS and TS!)

And I don't think the lings would lag the server because they would be low-poly like Thrall,compare him in gameplay and the FMVs,you'll see a lot of difference in them :/

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Betas do take a long time to come out. Allthough my friend played the alpha of WOW a long time ago. For sake of sanity...

Duke Nukem "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum..."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
C&C Generals is pretty kick ass for their gfx. But I think Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun owned all. But yea you are right, I prefer the older strategic games. But.... Almost all RPG's from then and now are same. They will always be good.

Best answers
Out all 2d games... Ultima online would have to be the best by far.... 3d... umm I dunno.. The Half life engine really brought me into the fps games..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blizzard has always been known to take a very long period of time to release a game, and i respect them for that. Usually the game is flawless as it comes, or just has minor details that need fixing.

Don't know what you have against CS Rave, it's the most popular FPS right now, and not like it has all that much eye candy. The graphics aren't that good, but the gameplay is what i love about CS, it's very smooth and easy to play. There are few games that have the same comfortable movement system.

That's what i look for in games right now, smooth gameplay. So far i am extremley impressed with Soul Caliber 2, excellent game so far. Basically any mod on the HL engine has that smooth gameplay, doesn't make them the best, but it sure helps in my opinion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some games moveing to better styles are good, WC2 to WC3 was good, done very well, but C+C Gen was rushed, boring missions and crappy balence issues, but the looks are even worse, its nice to see a 3d renderd tank, but what about the huge cpu load? the fact you need a high rez to see anything, the fact that it slows down in mulitplayer when theres to many units on the screen? When in the old games you could have dones.

C+C Gen was a waste of time money and manpower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom