SprWizard - From Valve's Collective

Image Programs (Choose One)

Paint Shop Pro (Free Trial)
The Gimp (Free)
Adobe Photoshop (Must Buy)
Paint (Comes with Windows)

Steps For Making/Editing A Sprite

Introduction

This tutorial was made to help people learn to edit/create sprites. It is a mere basic tutorial and does not show you how to make the greatest sprites the world has ever seen (but it's a start). Now to start you off here are some tips:

-All sprites for a mod are put/found in: half-life\moddirectory\sprites
-You cannot save a picture in SPR format, it must be in BMP format
-Do use SprWizard to convert BMP's to SPR's
-Do use SprView as a reference to see how other people made their sprites (for learning purposes)
-Make sure the image size is a multiple of 2 (pixels)
-If this does not help you read the list of tutorials I will write down at the end

Editing A Sprite

(If you want to create a sprite from scratch skip to Creating A Sprite)

1. Run SprView and go to File then Open, find your desired sprite then open it.

2. Now to edit it go to File then Save as BMP. Save it to a directory you will remember.

3. Open the BMP in one of your Image Programs and use it to change the sprite to your liking.

Creating A Sprite

(If you are editing a sprite skip to Converting A BMP to SPR)

1. Create a blank BMP image in an Image Program of your choice.

2. Use the Image Program to create your sprite (still in BMP format).

3. Then save it in a directory you will remember (as a BMP).

Converting Your BMP to SPR

4. Now that you have your completed sprite in BMP format you can open up SprWizard.

5. Hit next to start. Then hit browse to upload your BMP into SprWizard. Then hit next.

6. Now if you have anymore sprites to add you can do that now, this is just a list of what you want turned into an SPR format. Hit next when you have all your files uploaded into SprWizard.

7. Now you get a choice of which Transparency Mode you would like your sprite to have. Each one is explained beside the name in SprWizard but I'll copy it here as well (Canadian style):

SprWizard Transparency Modes said:
Additive - 256 Colours with Additive Transparency.
Alphatest - 255 Colours; Last Colour is Transparent.
Indexalpha - Grayscale; Last Colour is the Sprite Colour.
Normal - 256 Colours; No Blending or Transparency
Additive is the most common selection, so if you don't know what you are doing, try that. Then hit next to move on.

8. Now you can play and/or view your sprite (if it is animated you can play it). Then click Finish to save it in SPR format! Save it in a directory you will remember, so you can pick it up there.

9. Replace the new SPR file with the old one in the mod's sprite folder (e.g. esf\sprites directory) or if you are creating your own mod (which hasn't had any previous sprites) place it in the mod's sprite folder (e.g. moddirectory\sprites) and update your hud.txt and let the coder put it in the mod.

Extra Tutorials

Animated Sprites & Fixing Palette issues in Photoshop

If you have any other good Sprite Tutorials/Image Programs (preferably free Image Programs) please PM me and I will see what I can do about adding it to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom