Beginners Guide - IRC

Best answers
What is IRC?

IRC, short for "Internet Relay Chat" is a program which allows users to send messages to other people and recieve messages back. Similar to MSN and AIM but with mass capacities (you can send to unlimited people at a time).
IRC is connected by a set of servers which "relay" the information to the other servers connected to the main server.

A good example of this is GAMESNET. east.gamesnet.net is the main server, but there are around 40-50 other east servers connected to it relaying information back and forth.

How can I get IRC?

You can download the most reliable IRC Chat program from www.mirc.com (mIRC is the most widely used) or you can use the java version if you need to be quick/dont want to install at www.gamesnet.net/chat.php (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

Download mIRC and install!

OK, I've got mIRC how do I use it?

To chat in the ESF channel you need to be on GAMESNET! So go to "File > Options" in the mIRC window. On the side bar, select "Connect" and you will see various fields. Fill these in (Nick, Alt. Nick, Name etc) and then from the drop-down menu on the page, drop it down, press G and the look for gamesnet.

Another drop down window is below it, and it asks which server to connect to (EAST or WEST) this doesnt matter.

Click OK and your done! But your not through the storm yet! Click on the connect button on your toolbar at the top. You will go through the connect procedure and the MOTD (Message of The Day) text. Once you have connected, type /join #esf

If you are on to get esf help, /join #esf-help.

Enjoy!

(Majin_You, if you like you can add this to the Newbie FAQ)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom