NOOO!!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I was reading the esf 1.2 preview and near the end it says

"It's also worth knowing that the ESF team does not support players using ESF with the old WON system. Thus load Steam and have fun :)"

This means we HAVE TO use steam???!?!?!!! Well this being true i would like to know...
1.Where do i download steam from
2.Is it hard to install or does it have an installer
3.I heard alot of s*** about steam is it true? (If its true plz list bad things)

Thx in Advance :rolleyes:

Retired
Best answers
that means if the won users have a problem with esf 1.2 the esf team wont fix this problem for them

Best answers
Add me to your msn(if you have) i have steam installer and i will give it to you. Someone will come to say page i think but its this [email protected]

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
you dont need steam to play 1.2 beta
this sentences means that you become no support if you will use won

steam:
1.no i dont think that steam is so stupid i use it about months and i dont have any problems with it.

2.its easy it have an installer

3.you can download it from
http://www.counter-strike.de/filebase/index.php?id=500
here.

have fun

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
OK thnks i read wrong :p *Phew* BIG RELIEF!

Best answers
Yeah it could be troublesome..
I had steam ages ago and im not sure about it now but..im gonna want steam to use to play on my lan.
1) Is there an installer i can download that does not require it to connect to the internet?
2) If not , is there a way i can configure steam to go through proxy? :(

Best answers
Steam can be troublesome... especially during install. Once you get it working though it works great.
Just so you know, its best to uninstall EVERYTHING first (while backing up all ur downloads and all.) Then install Half-Life (I think steam gets anal when u try to start all ur mods off of C-Strike) and then Steam. Then install ESF and start up Steam. Then you play Half-life once (have to go into the server search to get this to work right) and then close steam.
At least I think that's how you do it, there's a sticky for this up top.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam is superior to WON in almost every way, and most of the bugs are out.

Also, I believe they changed Steam so you can play on LANs without having an internet connection now, since it was such a big problem.

1.2 was completely developed and tested on Steam, so perhaps 1.2 will force everybody on ESF to switch to Steam.

Every of the top 10 Half-Life mods has already switched the mod to Steam except ESF.

Best answers
i have had steam for ages and only started using this past month (all this talk about 1.2 being better on steam )
the main hassle is i am only running 56k and its a little to slow
and this lan thing is not that great (most of my mates cant get steam running)
so im just gonna get it for won and steam

Best answers
Yeah steam is nice. It's difficult because when I tried to specify the folder I wanted to install ESF into it automatically put /condition zero in front of whatever folder I wanted. I had to manually change it so that it was in its own folder in half-life.

Best answers
steam sucks it skrued up my computer so im gona refer it as a virus it is plage and a complete waste of time

Best answers
steam sucks nuts. its hard to install sometimes it wont even work for a day or 2. always have to update everytime u play. Takes a long time to download. U have to give them a whole bunch of information before u can even finish installing. Also i heard a rumor that u might have to start paying for steam i dont know if that last one is true though. BAsically all in all steam sucks the big one. also if u like listening to music i dont suggest playing winamp or anyother kind of music while playing on steam or it will say u are hacking and ban u for 5 years like what happened to my friend. He is banned until 2005 may 3. :laff: I HATE STEAM WITH A PASSION

Best answers
[TMC]WheresWald said:
steam sucks nuts. its hard to install sometimes it wont even work for a day or 2. always have to update everytime u play. Takes a long time to download. U have to give them a whole bunch of information before u can even finish installing. Also i heard a rumor that u might have to start paying for steam i dont know if that last one is true though. BAsically all in all steam sucks the big one. also if u like listening to music i dont suggest playing winamp or anyother kind of music while playing on steam or it will say u are hacking and ban u for 5 years like what happened to my friend. He is banned until 2005 may 3. :laff: I HATE STEAM WITH A PASSION
So you hate steam because why?
1:Carnt Isntall Probaly (It is easy as it gets , just follow the instrucions)
2:You can still use winamp

Steam = Way off the future
Won = Dead

and dont say it not is buggy because they fixed it

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[TMC]WheresWald said:

Your friend was just coming up with a story to excuse his cheating, I guarentee you. Steam works absolutely fine for a strong majority of players, assuming you know how to install it. It takes a long time to download, but that's it. If you can deal with walking away from your computer and, say, reading a book for a while, Steam takes care of itself. I'd suggest checking their forums or readmes if you have questions about installation or running programs along with Steam. It loads servers faster, it finds servers faster, and it automatically updates every time you log into it... I don't see how Won can sincerely compete with it anymore.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam is not better than won and its not worse than won. why dont you get it? some people like won some like steam and some like both. I dont understand why you have to go on a rampage saying how which is better than the other. your not going ot change anyones opionion. yes steam is faster and most bugs are fixed. but everything has its downfalls

Steam: fast, good for ping, sucks when it comes to making your ownservers. you need ip addresses for non-payed servers. you cant name your server. when you make one no one joins unless they know your ip. you have to think faster. its slower and takes a while to update, its more difficult to work with because of all the folders and crud.

won: more bugs, slower , so bad on ping, good for the fact you have more time to think, your aim is better usually. (for somereason won is easier on my eyes... i dunno what it is its just different then steam) also making your own server is easier everyone can see it.

so each have their pros and cons i prolly left some out oh well. but heres a thought. just use both... that way no one will complain. i switch from won to steam i can access both when ever i want. just do that. i say its easier.

Fire Phoenix

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom