Windows Vista - Yes Or No?

Which version of Vista are you planning on buying?

• Windows Vista Business

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Vista Enterprise

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Best answers
When I buy a laptop with one of those free "Windows Vista BLAH" coupons included, then I'll use it.
Overlord said:
I'll be getting my dream computer soon enough, and it will pwn you all .
Then new(er) parts will come out and you'll be obsolete. The house always wins!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When I buy a laptop with one of those free "Windows Vista BLAH" coupons included, then I'll use it.Then new(er) parts will come out and you'll be obsolete. The house always wins!
I'll have enough money to upgrade over the coming years when I feel like it too, ever consider that? =P.
As for coupons, I'll have to find my aunty a laptop offering a coupon for vista, seeing as how she wants a new laptop.

Best answers
I'll have enough money to upgrade over the coming years when I feel like it too, ever consider that? =P.
Good to know you're spending your money wisely

=P

|Overlord| said:
As for coupons, I'll have to find my aunty a laptop offering a coupon for vista, seeing as how she wants a new laptop.
Lots of OEMs are, it seems like, which is pretty cool. Dell does it for free, iirc.

Best answers
I used the Vista RTM (essentially the retail version) a few weeks back. I installed the proper drivers, and my gaming performance was more than cut in half. Average WoW fps dropped from 75 fps to below 30. Other games like DMOMM were unplayable.

It's hard to tell whether or not it's Vista's GUI sucking up all my video ram or nVidia's craptacular Vista drivers that are out right now. Either way, I'm not upgrading any time soon.

For anyone interested, this is the system I tested Vista out on:
Athlon 64 3500+
2GB of DDR 3200 ram (running at 2800 speed). Also tested 1GB running at 3200 speed, made little difference.
nVidia geForce 7800 GT

If my comp isn't Vista ready, then Microsoft can lick my balls.

Xenon

X
Windows Vista just an extended edition of Xp with different interface..
You, sir, don't deserve to partake in this discussion.

Windows Vista is NOT Windows XP. It's nothing like the leap from 98/2000 to XP. Every Windows version has been built off of the previous version until now. Windows Vista has been completely rebuilt from the ground up. Microsoft has spent close to 10 years (or more?) with it's development.

Best answers
I'll probably try vista if I ever get it in one of those combined packages but I'm probably not going to make an effort to run out and buy it. I AM planning on getting a new laptop some day so perhaps I'll hold out and do that.

I reccomend checking out the Vista Transformation Pack I linked to in the first post if all you want Vista for is the GUI (Aero Glass). It does a good job of replicating and doesn't hog memory/cpu as Vista is reported to. I'm running it on my laptop with a Radeon Mobility 9200 64mb and everything runs smoothly.
You sir, are god. I thank you for that link.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay wise guy... One question put forward to you! Why do you think vista (or longhorn, as it was known) has had it's release delayed (other then recently of course)... Because ms were prioritizing security i their products rather then focusing on vista development since 2002 onwards.
geez.. it's pretty hard to answer to a question where you ask me and answer for yourself.. But how about some real fixes , like fixing these product bugs, unexpected shutdowns than making some useless windows security patches when there are plenty of other firewall and antivirus software out there which protect even more and are FREE?

|Overlord| said:
You opinion on 9x and XP/NT is rather funny too, considering the fact that all of 9x/Me was based on DOS and XP is identical with 2000, being strongly based of NT.
ehm, i already knew that Xp part, and that my quoting thing was just an example how they do the works there in my opinion. You Do realize that microsoft stopped supporting win95, win nt 4.0 , win 2k (possibly ME too) a long time ago? either way , that part of xp being identical with 2k is true, it has only different skin. the same will happen with vista.. (well, atleast most parts are right from xp and earlier versions)

|overlord| said:
With all the vista bashing aside, I don't see it as such a bad os tbh. I currently have a copy sitting around, it's just a matter of when I can be bothered to install it. I'm still waiting on a hdd back from my brother to try it out on.
i wouldn't mind either, but the way microsoft does these things is horrible, in year or two they release this sp3 for xp and my prediction is that they stop supporting it too, same old story; it happened with earlier computers too.
sure, you may think 'get used to it, it's technology!' but what about the others? You know, some people can't even afford windows xp these days, so how will they survive the vista then? Home Basic is almost as cheap as Xp, but it doesn't have as much features as ultimate, it's wrong to limit the abilities to use applications etc. Wasn't computer using all about the freedom?
Sure, it's a bit different thing from stopping supporting some old Linux Distro, but a paid Os is a bit different. I would personally still use 2k if it would be supported and have patches, but they screwed with it too..

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um...Microsoft stopped supporting Win98 up to fairly recently. I really don't think they're going to stop supporting XP all of a sudden just because Vista came out. It doesn't make sense to shoot yourself in the foot.

You're making a big deal out of something small.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overlord said:
I don't think it's that much of a issue as you describe it. Somone will most likely end up cracking DRM eventually too.
Apparently in RTM6000 and beta's below it you can disable DRM, I dunno if that extends to the final version.

DeStRoYeR said:
You sir, are god. I thank you for that link.
You're welcome =]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I won't upgrade XP until there's a program that can't run on it. It works for me, and I don't want to change it just so Microsoft being the money hungry company that they are can shove more money up their fat asses. There's nothing wrong with XP, it's the best OS yet, and I don't need any more.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Indeed Ravendust, great find with that theme!

I won't upgrade XP until there's a program that can't run on it.
Halo 2 kbye.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. When I buy a computer wherein Vista is already installed. Otherwise, no, tis bloated pig.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Legendary said:
ehm, i already knew that Xp part, and that my quoting thing was just an example how they do the works there in my opinion. You Do realize that microsoft stopped supporting win95, win nt 4.0 , win 2k (possibly ME too) a long time ago? either way , that part of xp being identical with 2k is true, it has only different skin. the same will happen with vista.. (well, atleast most parts are right from xp and earlier versions)
Wooptie doo a skin... But where else are you trying to get with your point, you aren't really making any...
Legendary said:
geez.. it's pretty hard to answer to a question where you ask me and answer for yourself.. But how about some real fixes , like fixing these product bugs, unexpected shutdowns than making some useless windows security patches when there are plenty of other firewall and antivirus software out there which protect even more and are FREE?
And what are you trying to infer here exactly?. I never asked you a thing, simply because I'd never need too knowing the answer you would give me would be stupid anyway. MS's own entry into the antivirus/antispyware market is ok, MS know there os, hence why some third party vendors were complaining about kernel level access. Though, having said that I don't think WOLC will be that bad considering MS know there OS, because they make it.

However, it was quite stupid of you to go onto the topic of antivirus software for the most part. The antivirus vendors do miss a few things here and there that patches fix.
Legendary said:
i wouldn't mind either, but the way microsoft does these things is horrible, in year or two they release this sp3 for xp and my prediction is that they stop supporting it too, same old story; it happened with earlier computers too.
sure, you may think 'get used to it, it's technology!' but what about the others? You know, some people can't even afford windows xp these days, so how will they survive the vista then? Home Basic is almost as cheap as Xp, but it doesn't have as much features as ultimate, it's wrong to limit the abilities to use applications etc. Wasn't computer using all about the freedom?
Sure, it's a bit different thing from stopping supporting some old Linux Distro, but a paid Os is a bit different. I would personally still use 2k if it would be supported and have patches, but they screwed with it too..
XP support will end in 2009.
Win2k is still patched with security updates.

Again, more useless comments coming from you...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Sticking with XP for a while until Vista gets most of the problems out of it then getting a $10 copy of Vista through the university.

Best answers
So you'll switch to Vista just because you need a program.....wow, thats deep >_<.

Back to the topic- I don't think i'll be switching to Vista untill the prices lower down here in Australia. Or I could buy it from America and save $256 o_O, that's how expensive it is here. Meh, or could always wait for a hacker to crack it :).

-GuZzie

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom