Sub's coding pool party

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, since you contact me every 10 minutes on Steam to write you walls of code, it might as well depend on me whether "your" game is finished in the next 50 years, just a few decades before the release of ESF: Final.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Could a mod please rename this topic "HLEV'S CODING EXTRAVAGANZA"

Thank you.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You must not have a lot of friends, eh, hlev?

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why not?
(If it's even a serious question, and you want a serious answer, define "friend" and "many".)

--- edit ---

Why not?
(If it's even a serious question, and you want a serious answer, define "friend" and "many".)

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hleV seems like a really cool guy to hang out with at parties.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's always a party.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spent today working on the city screen. This is where I'm at right now.

I'm just trying to figure out what information I need to display to people. I want to display as little information as possible, but I still need to add a list of buildings that are in the city which will probably go to the left, list of units in the city which I suspect will go undert he buy and change production buttons, I need to display how much culture the city has / is earning a turn, what religion the city is, and some sort of indicator about possibility of revolutions. Also, probably an icon for if the city is producing a lot of pollution.

If anyone plays Civ and wants to chime in on what they want in a city screen, I'd be happy to hear.

This is the city screen from civ 2

This is Civ 3

Civ 4

Civ 4, I don't even know what the hell half of that stuff is and I've played a lot of Civ.

Last edited:
Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I haven't played any Civilization myself but I just wanted to post that you made good progress.
I really like how similar it looks to the Civilization 3 game and the GUI looks good so far ;).

But in order to keep the information short, I should go with icons and text. Maybe with some hover action
for players that want to know what a value means or just document it somewhere so people can understand.

The final possibility would be by creating a tabcontrol so you can switch between various subjects of information.

As always, keep it up :)

Last edited:
NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, you did that today by asking my help 5 times only! Are you by any chance starting to get a glimpse of this "coding" thing?

OR HAVE YOU FOUND SOMEONE ELSE?! IT BETTER NOT BE DUTCHMEAT!

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So the minimum window size is 800 x 600. This makes placing the city improvements list kind of awkward, because I'd want it to be roughly even with the bottom of the production buttons, but then it overlaps the minimap at the minimum window size. I could put it aligned with the top of the City Of Carthage line, but I don't think I'd want to do that. I'm thinking maybe I'll just have it overlap?

http://i.imgur.com/gDCwgTO.png

Dunno where to place the damn thing, really.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, how about you move the list off the screen and make it slide in when you hover over a button on the side?
Working with re-sizing/re-positioning should do the trick.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm actually going to just shamelessly copy Endless Space.

The panel on the left will be the buildings / units that the city is able to construct, the panel in the middle will be the queue for items to be produced, and the panel to the right is units present in the city / units supported by the city.

I'm making my own GUI system to go along with this, perhaps because I'm out of my mind. At the moment it has tables, labels, a few different panel types, and buttons. I still need to add scrollbars to the panels. The text at the top is also not aligned that well because of the way SFML measures text height, I need to fix that. The text is also rather blurry because of the way SFML does things, I also need to fix that.

Last edited:

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Hey, you did that today by asking my help 5 times only! Are you by any chance starting to get a glimpse of this "coding" thing?

I too, am gay.

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers

What's wrong with me? I'm awesome.
Besides, you're doing a great job guiding this young padawan

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm happy Sub created a custom GUI. I think you can learn a lot from it because it goes hand-in-hand with OOP.
Even though it's more work, it's not THAT crazy...I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom