Star Wars: The Old Republic to fire 200 of it's staffers.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/22/star-wars-the-old-republic-hit-with-layoffs/

BioWare doctors Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka have posted a blurb on the official Star Wars: The Old Republic website confirming the downsizing of the game's development team. The update is short on details and long on superlatives relating to the sci-fi MMO's successful launch, so we're not sure who was laid off at this point.
Bioware took an axe to the Old Republic team. No official numbers on how many were let go, but most people I’ve talked to put the total bloodletting at somewhere in the neighborhood 0f 200 people… 40% of the studio.
Seems to be going the same route as Warhammer. Oh well, everyone saw it coming.

Keep in mind, this isn't developers whose contract ended. These are the people who support the game, maintain the servers, ect, the Infrastructure.

The future:

Last edited:
Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Maybe it'll go F2P soon then. Really hope so, cause I did enjoy the beta.. just have a hard time with paying to play a game after I've already bought it.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I has already bought Guild Wars 2 so I no care.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
DIABLO 3!!!! I wouldn't play something like a WoW-copy..I'll rather stick to WoW and their coming expansion! :) Final round for me!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe it'll go F2P soon then. Really hope so, cause I did enjoy the beta.. just have a hard time with paying to play a game after I've already bought it.
George Lucas refuses to allow that to happen.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's too bad, it was becoming a pretty good game. Some fairly unique battle mechanics in there. The problem was they weren't keeping up with bug fixes and content patches like they said they would. Bugs that were nearly game breaking from release were still in there 4 months later, not to mention the first big content patch shoulda been how it was on release.

Just not enough customer support. Thinking I might try out Final Fantasy 14 when they re-launch it.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's too bad, it was becoming a pretty good game. Some fairly unique battle mechanics in there. The problem was they weren't keeping up with bug fixes and content patches like they said they would. Bugs that were nearly game breaking from release were still in there 4 months later, not to mention the first big content patch shoulda been how it was on release.

Just not enough customer support. Thinking I might try out Final Fantasy 14 when they re-launch it.
Final Fantasy XIV is awesome, post launch and with the new update.

I played in the Alpha, and I was a long time XI player.

Currently, XIV is on the 1.2 patch, not the promised 2.0 patch, but it's much better. Parties work better, the new skill system changes, and proper classes. Alot of old favorite stuff from XI is back. The games flow has become better.

-

Performance is still crap though, even if you exceed the recommended by more than double, you can expect 10FPS in towns if you try to play on high. Part of the 2.0 patch is a huge revamp of the Engine.

XIV is great; I got the CE for only 15$.

I watched the "Making of a Realm DVD"

If you watch that...you absolutely will fall in love with the game...because...it shows developers who care about their work, who really do. Most Interviews you see a developer who is pretty stale, or just reading off a card basically, and seems like he wants it to be over with.

Making of a Realm, you can hear the passion in their voices, how they talk about it, the looks on their faces...even if the game flopped, the people designing it really made it a love child.

Plus, this trailer for XIV gets me everytime. Call me gay, or a woman, whatever, this trailers music is beautiful and so are the scenes within.

[video=youtube_share;cW-dfDTruMQ]http://youtu.be/cW-dfDTruMQ[/video]

Final Fantasy XIV has awesome graphics, awesome designs, and a fully real-time cutscened storyline, for each of the starter towns. Many are voiced, as well. The animations of FFXIV are unrivaled as well.

http://youtu.be/hqJMTkc4coY

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is the game still free2play?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have only one question.

Is the registration process still as ******* INSANE as it was in final fantasy 11?

And by insane i mean that 3 of my and my families credit/debit cards weren't accepted for seemingly no reason, it was impossible to unsubscribe from the game after I stopped playing it so the card that finally worked had to be shut off, and I couldn't get the customer assistance to give a rats ass.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know; all I played was my free time back when I got it, on top of the free two weeks they jut had...

Haven't added a CC or anything to it. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom