Something to Revolutionise Computer Artists ...

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sneak peek of Content-Aware Fill in Photoshop

[video=youtube;NH0aEp1oDOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0aEp1oDOI&feature=player_embedded#[/video]

Source: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/03/caf_in_ps.html

Texture synthesis is an epic win for laziness :D
Discuss

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What the ****...

Dude, okay, the content aware scaling thing, that was some serious ****, okay, it was epic.

But this...even as things are in technology today, I'm half-believing that this is ****ing witchcraft. Those damn clouds, it continued the swirl of the clouds with no data to work with other than other parts of the image. I don't know how it works, it seems crazy-advanced even for this day and age, and it's going to blur the line in understanding what's real and what's fake even more.

I can't imagine what kind of uses this could have, amateur texturers will have it easier than they've ever had before. Sure, the end result has some flaws, but you never notice unless you're looking for it.

Just, my God, people say setting Avatar only a 1.5 centuries in the future is being ridiculous, but I don't agree, not when we've gone from fighting over pixel-depth in 2d sprite-based games to real-time 3D procedural destruction physics on our 64 bit computer systems 20 years later.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If this were April first, I would call humbug, but it's not, and so I share in the horror of the fact that the dividing line between real and edited just became less clear.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol photoshoping without photoshop skills :D
Exactly, amazing progress. This doesn't make people in the field obsolete, however when it comes to cleaning up stuff, or just make it better looking.. It's perfect, I'm stunned.
I cannot wait to get my hands on this.

Just imagine how easy this would make cleaning up someones face. :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The technology involved here made me jizz my pants. I think it's time I dusted off Photoshop.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I share in the horror of the fact that the dividing line between real and edited just became less clear.
Oh Smeg indeed!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want that Photoshop!. Seriously though, the first scene was still rather 'easy', but I was impressed by the clouds and desert. You'd still need to put some time in patching it up, and making it flow nicer, but it definitely a massive timesaver. I love Adobe.

Does raise ONE question though: What about watermarks?

It'd be even easier to remove a watermark from an image, and use it somewhere else.

On a side note, some more information here, plus another technique, reshuffling a photo and advanced image retargeting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgKjs8ZjQNg&feature=related

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, this feature pretty much makes watermarking redundant. The only way I think you could successfully watermark is by perhaps having an area which basically confuses the algorithms perception of positive and negative space so that it cannot synthesise anything but static/snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom