Maj needs PS3 recommendations, stat!

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Good evening, forum-folk!

Back around September of last year, I decided to bite the bullet and pick up one of the two more serious current gen consoles. I opted for a PS3 since my bro already has a 360 (so, between us, we have each of the three current gen consoles, and, thus, access to any/all exclusives they may have).

I picked up Little Big Planet and an Uncharted 1 + 2 bundle with it, but I was wondering what other "must-haves" you guys would recommend for the PS3. Try to go for exclusives if you can. Exceptional cross-platform titles are also welcome recommendations, provided there isn't a PC version that would be preferable (eg: Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc.), as I may already have such titles for my PC.

Also... no sports games, please.

Thanks, in advance, for any recommendations you guys can offer!

Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Red dead redemption, heard it should be good ^^

Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Prototype 1 and 2

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Prototype 1 is available on PC, as is 2 coming soon.

Demon Souls; Dark Souls is coming to PC.

Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Prototype 1 is available on PC, as is 2 coming soon.

Demon Souls; Dark Souls is coming to PC.
All of them are coming to PC but don't expect the port to be done properly.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
You played Uncharted 1+2 but don't forget 3

You played Little big planet but don't forget Little Big Planet 2

Also try looking for the Yakuza series. I think the last one was Yakuza 4 and as I heard it's pretty neat.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Valkyria Chronicles.
I would kill to play that game D:
Also NieR Gestalt, though IIRC that's also there for the 360. Get one of the two and ignore reviews, trust me, they DON'T do the game justice. NieR has hands down one of the best stories I have EVER experienced.
Plus the OST is also downright amazing
[video=youtube;ReAe0JMXdmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReAe0JMXdmI&feature=related[/video]

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
All of them are coming to PC but don't expect the port to be done properly.
Course not, but better than the console version.

Uncharted is cool, but controls are terrible, and you see screen tearing constantly.

I just ordered Castlevania, the new one, I know old fans don't like it, but the gameplay looked good and thje price was cheap.

Red Dead Redemption was tempting to me; I can get the GOTY edition for only 10$, but man, watching videos...the frame rate is so low...at times..and even though it has auto aim...looks like a pain.

I own a decent list of PS3 games, though hardly played any of them, maybe a rainy night:

Bayonetta(Gets old, real fast.)

Star Ocean 4 (Likewise, I could not stop playing 3, despite hating Fayt, but 4 I got bored of very quickly, though it looks good and runs at a solid 60FPS and has nice giggle physics and a pretty cool story, actually.)

Uncharted 1 + 2 + 3(Got the third for free from a friend, 1 & 2 for a 20$ deal, played like 3-4 hours of #1 and lost interested in the bad controls

Metal Gear Solid 4: Slick graphics and decent cutscenes, but boring story and gameplay is just nearly impossible for a PC Center person like me, cannot get used to the controls, even though it has some form of lock on, plus I hate games that make Stealth an absolute requirement...I like to be Stealthy, as I do in almost every shooter I can...but I like to be able to chose, you know, to on occasion, break that mold and go all Blitzkrieg; MGS4 does not allow it.

Demon Souls'; really fun, made it to like the third area, but just meh...I kept glitching and dying against a boss and just stopped, because it took time, each time I died, to get back to the boss, 20-30 minutes, for me to only glitch through the floor and die...and yeah, though it was a great game.

Dark Souls I waited on, and is coming to PC, thankfully, should be better with Mouse + KB and some hacked in PC mods. RE4 did not support mods; but people have hacked the crap out of it and now it is the best looking version, with visuals superior to RE5.

I am thinking of getting Journey; it's really cool from videos I saw.

I Am Alive, I played the demo and liked it, but reviews show it gets worse later on and the demo is like the first half hour and most reviews said it just goes completely downhill after that...so yeah.

Nier I looked at, but it is worrying after all the reviews, not to mention the company is now defunct.

That new one like the Souls series is out...uh, Dragon's Dogma, but I am holding off, as this is Capcom we're talking about, and a great deal of their games come to PC, and it is using the same engine, MT Framework, as their PC games use...so it's a wait and see...I think they are waiting to see Dark Souls sales figures first.

Resonance of Fate is a cool game, with a very interesting world, story, and incredible atmosphere, with addicting gameplay. I got like 13 hours in, but kinda lost interest, I had other things to do...still feel like I wanna go back and do it, but I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Resonance-Fate-Playstation-3/dp/B002BRYHY0/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_text_b

I've been looking at Vanquish as well, as I really like the look, but once again...shooter on consoles turn out very unfun for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Vanquish-Playstation-3/dp/B003PHLT8W/ref=pd_sim_vg_19

Stay away from the Infamous series, it's garbage that is vastly over-rated.

Shadows of the Damned looks hilariously awesome to me as well...

But!

Shooter again...

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Damned-Playstation-3/dp/B00432O50W/ref=pd_sim_vg_4

http://youtu.be/fl5soy9nEKM

Yet, I never find any time to play these games, so it frustrates me...I have my PS3 down on the living rooms 50'' TV and all looks great there...but yeah, I can't play it during the middle of the night, when I'm awake...so.

I could take it up stairs, but eh...

Last edited:
Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
The entire Assassin's creed series!

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
The entire Assassin's creed series!
That's available on the PC though :V All of em.

Some more suggestions:
Heavy Rain
Catherine(Also there for X360)

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
A poor port can't be better than the console version...
Always is.

Resident Evil 4 was a god awful port, missing shaders, low resolution textures, no mouse support, and the FMV's were crappy PS2 ones.

Look at it in 2012.

Full 1080p video's recorded from the Wii version being emulated, high resolution 2048 x 2048 textures, shader mods for it galore, and just an insane amount of detail:

http://youtu.be/ZHfDwJHISuI?hd=1

No mod tools were released. Entire new levels, weapons, and missions have been hacked in. It's gotten better since I lasted checked, but yeah, beats RE5 in graphical quality, though when released, RE4 PC was considered the worst version. Now it is the best.

A dedicated fanbase...can do wonders.

Like a Boss? :O
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Sorry Mk, lost the cred you had going when you said you couldn't go guns blazing in MGS4, that's practically all the game is. It went SO FAR from its roots, and is really the only complaint the game ever gets aside from it's lengthy cut scenes. People that didn't play the series from the start say the story is garbage, but I find that for the most part it's because they just didn't understand what was going on.

Like a Boss? :O
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Realized that my post added nothing to the topic, so let me change that.

The Uncharted series, despite what MK said, the first game, in terms of story (the reason the games are so great) is the best IMO, but the gameplay is lacking, that was fixed in U2 and 3 however.

The Infamous games are fun if you want to be totally OP for the entire game with just a few base abilities.

Heavy Rain was an amazing interactive story, if story is your thing, this is a game for you.

Cathrine is a great game if you want a mind ****, but it's on both PS3 and 360, haven't tried it yet give it a go.

Resonance of Fate is a great RPG, as is Eternal Sonata. ES has extra stuff that wasn't in the 360 version.. but if you're not into RPG's these aren't for you.

Valkyria Chronicles is an amazing semi-turn based strategy game

I'm sure I'm missing 1 or 2 but that's a solid list to check out.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Eternal Sonata looks good, but I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee games that take place in someones fantasy and then are all wrapped up at the end and didn't matter.

YOu know when you watch a really good movie, then they end it with a terrible twist that it was really nothing at all? So the entire venture is wasted? I wanted to get ES, but I can't stand the idea of it all just being a dream world.

Valkyria Chronicles I looked into, but it's not my bag I suppose.

And yes, I agree on Heavy Rain, get it.

I don't own it yet, and I'm not sure if I will, but I love the studio that made HEavy Rain and the demo was great; Indigo Prophecy was an amazing game.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Eternal Sonata looks good, but I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee games that take place in someones fantasy and then are all wrapped up at the end and didn't matter.

YOu know when you watch a really good movie, then they end it with a terrible twist that it was really nothing at all? So the entire venture is wasted? I wanted to get ES, but I can't stand the idea of it all just being a dream world.

Valkyria Chronicles I looked into, but it's not my bag I suppose.

And yes, I agree on Heavy Rain, get it.

I don't own it yet, and I'm not sure if I will, but I love the studio that made HEavy Rain and the demo was great; Indigo Prophecy was an amazing game.
Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit was an amazing game, but Heavy Rain suffers from plot holes as big as the crater that Vegeta left behind when he self-destructed.
The mechanics of the game are interesting but the story, is a bit weak, David Cage could have done better, but he hasn't. You might still enjoy it, buuuut there are more chances that people will actually hate it.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Keep the suggestions coming, guys! :D

As to the issue of whether or not I'd consider something if there's a PC version, I will still look at a console version provided it isn't a FPS. For example, I have Assassin's Creed on PC, but I couldn't stand playing it with a keyboard and mouse, so I will likely get a bundle I saw that has AC2 and Brotherhood for the PS3 (and pick up Revelations after that, time allowing). Third-person actions games, generally, I prefer with a controller in hand (Mass Effect being a huge exception).

I *love* RPG's, so don't be afraid to suggest those. I was looking at Heavy Rain because it seemed really original in its execution. As well, I've heard Demon Souls is amazing, despite a punishing level of difficulty. Should I pass that up in favor of Dark Souls?

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Dark Souls is coming to PC. Just wait.

Demon Souls is worth playing and is very cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom