Looking for a good External HDD

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I'm looking for a good External HDD that i'll be using for myself only. I never really had any nor I had the use for it until now. I was wondering if you guys know a good one:

Specifications:
- 1TB (I don't want more, nor less unless the higher one is cheaper)
- Not much sound (Thus silent)
- Possible firewire / eSata with the HDD.
- Price range max to 100 euro, or a little above it.
- Power cable has to be included, not just USB connection.

Help would be much appreciated. And if it has some fancy features such as locking files, etc, would be great to mention that! :D

Kind regards,
Skyrider

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Help would be much appreciated. And if it has some fancy features such as locking files, etc, would be great to mention that! :D
Have you ever heard about TrueCrypt?

anyways:
Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 1TB, 3,5 7200rpm; eSATA/USB 2.0/FireWire 400/800;16MB Cache 125€
Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1TB, 3,5", USB 2.0, 7200rpm 16MB Cache

And dont forget that the support of WD roxx as hell. I bought my HDD in a local store, but i've lost my bill. WD checked my serialnumber -> still in warranty -> I'll send my currently broken hdd to wd and they will send me the same (NEW) model back for free( well i have to pay the shipping costs from me to WD but who cares about them )

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Last edited:
ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Megh, USB is quite limited though. Always fancy and handy to have a possible faster way.

Best answers
You might be better off buying a hard drive and then making it into an external. All you need to do is buy an External Shell that you can put the drive into. That way you could look for the right hard drive, get a better one, and pay less money for it all at once.

If you buy ones that are already put into the shell, they usually are priced significantly more for no reason.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Just curious. If I buy an External HDD now, with no eSata/Firewire support. And wish to buy a new case later on, which has eSata/Firewire, I assume there will be no problems, right?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Thats how I do things, I buy a standard sata drive and put it in my own external case.

The case of choice is this one Mainly as it has everything you ever need, plus it can act as a media hub as it's a NAS too.

Best answers
My suggestion is to buy a docking station, and then a HDD. Why? IMO it's much cheaper, and if you have multiple drives, makes for easy and fast swapping.

What I suggest is the Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB and the Thermaltake BlacX SATA Docking Station.

The HDD is low power, so it makes almost no noise. The Docking Station IMO is just easier to handle and mess with than an actual external HDD. Saves cash, and if the HDD dies, you don't need to dismantle the enclosure to swap drives, and you can store the HDD's somewhere safe like in a safe, or a plastic container so that they don't get damaged.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I may forgot to mention that I also need a HDD for school. And I may carry the HDD to a lot of places, so I don't think the docking would be a good idea. Thanks though.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I bought the 1TB WD External HDD. It has FireWire/eSata on it as well so it was a bit more expensive.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
My external HDD(500GB) was broken, so I sent it to WD. There was a slight problem...I've lost my bill...WD didn't care about this.
And today I got a new HDD back with 1 TB :D

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
lol, nice! How did it broke though? What was the slight issue? I see that WD is very helpful in returning thing fixed or even a better product.. But, what's the point in that if WD breaks often? And I said if :p, not saying it does.. But I think you know what I mean. I rather have something that goes for a long long time than breaking often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom