Japanese working on a 25TB optical disk

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
if this thing ever gets created... I won't be able to buy it.
Damn that'll be like 25tb is ... OMFG!
Why not? In time, those things will get cheaper and cheaper. And i think it won't be that expensive if the disc is cheap to create.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
WHat about its optical drives, will cost like 100000$ a piece

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Next gen optical disk and drives? :) I suppose it will replace the current ones in the near future.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh shi-

Imagine how long it'll take to burn 25TB on medium speed.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
If you read the entire article, it explains that the metal they use for this to work is highly inexpensive and is already in use for other materials today. Assuming that internet speeds, disk writing speeds, and disk reading speeds i, and hard drive space increase along with the technology, it should all come together correctly.

Though Sub feels by this time, or the technology after, we'll move into strictly digital distribution. Which wouldn't surprise me (assuming download speeds increase and aren't as they are today). Let's face it, downloading a 25 TB movie or game, with today's internet speeds being anywhere between 100kb-1mb per second; it will take awhile.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Let's face it, downloading a 25 TB movie or game, with today's internet speeds being anywhere between 100kb-1mb per second; it will take awhile.
1 mb? :eek:. Speedtest shows my download speed is 28Mb/s. Which is 3.4mb per second. :). Though I can download at a max speed of 5mb per second.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still think many people will want Disc-based games in the future instead of solely digital copies. And with the speed resolutions change at this moment (Eyefinity for example), texture sizes for games for example will also increase(8192x8192 pixel texture files would be...big). Plus, with the upcoming UltraHD standard (what was it...2400 or 3200p?), even Blu-Ray's will not be efficient anymore. A good rendered BluRay movie can easily take up 50GB of space, and that is probably without even adding uncompressed RAW Digital sound. A 3200p movie could be as much as 10 times as large as a normal BluRay movie, not factoring in the new 3D hype which basically doubles that as well (well...maybe not really, but hey, I'm trying to make a point here :p). A typical 3D 3200p movie could take up as much as 1TB of disc space (well, that's a guesstimate really, regardless though, UltraHD movies will be big).

Although internet speeds are growing rapidly these days, they are not nearly growing as fast as optical and mechanical discs are. And especially because downloading really big movies within acceptable (BluRay sized+) is still a right reserved only for rich-ish people. Optical discs will stay around for quite a bit longer I think, until Flashdrive technology starts growing faster and getting cheaper.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i can see it know 1 tb internet connection isp's using the same material in wireing there internetz to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom