Japanese building Orbital Elevators.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, for anyone who has seen Gundam 00; they get the idea.
Or if anyone reads, The Fountains of Paradise explains the concept pretty well.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah yeah, I know, 1895, a Russian guy, Gundam didn't invent the concept, but alot of people here, I've talked to, have seen Gundam 00, so I though a reference was in order.

Aeolia in Gundam 00 was based of the Russian guy, Tsiolkovsky.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't seen Gundam 00, so I offered an alternative to people who read sci-fi. One thousand apologies.

Goddamn.

ANBU
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That looks very cool. ;D

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Gundammuuuuuuuuuu...

Space elevators lol, I wonder what crazy ideas scientists are coming up with to find some tensile strength to resist such gigantic forces like those winds the earth can unleash.
My opinion, it will be best to build something like a great wall of china but make it big enough so that it becomes a stairway to heaven with multiple resting places in between. Ofcourse the whole journey shouldnt take more than 1 day if you have the endurance of a Ethiopian marathon runner.

Correction: 1 year.

Correction: 10 years.

Last edited:
Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
96.000 Kilometers? WTF?? Where is the station being built? On the Moon? The distance from Earth to Space is roughly 100 km at best. Surface of the Earth to the International Space Station (ISS) is 215 Miles

"NASA considers people to be astronauts once they’ve traveled higher than 80 km (50 miles)."
http://www.universetoday.com/25410/how-far-is-space/

If they limit themselvs to this measurement then we might actually get there by tomorrow.

Last edited:
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
...I'm amused that any of you think this is going to happen, or is happening.

I'd like one of you with basic math skills to try and figure out why I think this is silly.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
...I'm amused that any of you think this is going to happen, or is happening.

I'd like one of you with basic math skills to try and figure out why I think this is silly.
There is no weight in space therefore that Counterweight is ****in useless and also the elevator wouldn't come down?

I love it when people miss the obvious even if it's me included. :scared:

Last edited:
Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Amuse me I give up.

Is it the Velocity that you would require?

Last edited:
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It's 96 000 000 metres of carbon fiber wire, that has to be what, at least an inch in diameter... Can you imagine how much money that would cost to produce and store? How many years it would take just to manufacture that much of it? It's mindboggling. And they didn't include any kind of specs, or where the backing would come from.

This is an extremely expensive project, and there is no way a private corporation would take it upon themselves to build a space elevator sometime in the next 38 years.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I think that picture is wrong though cos like in my previous reply you can see that space is not that far, certainly not 96 000 km. 100 miles of cable or even 200 is achievable especially with the kind of budget NASA has and stuff. Plus the payoff....they could charge far less for a trip up there than a shuttle trip and I don't know 1 person that wouldn't love to go into space and see Earth from a birds eye view. People would be lining up at the gates for this! It would definitely pay off.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not wrong, there's nothing wrong with putting a space elevator that far out. The point is that they haven't thought this through at all. They just made a drawing and said "WE'RE GOING TO DISN- I MEAN SPACE."

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that picture is wrong though cos like in my previous reply you can see that space is not that far, certainly not 96 000 km. 100 miles of cable or even 200 is achievable especially with the kind of budget NASA has and stuff.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Isn't NASA a governmental space corporation basicaly? They research and build satellites, space crafts and all kinds of other stuff. Just like the military they are allocated a budget each year for they projects aren't they?

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I fail to see the LOL in that. Especially one of such epic proportions as to deserve size 46 font or whatever you used lol. Just because it is a Japanese idea, if they can't built it what would stop big corps like NASA from doing so? Or even better, a joint effort?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Read what I placed in bold. I'm laughing at that. I'll give you a minute to ask the right question so I can go on my diatribe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom