Jack Thompson suing Bill Gates

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Who the hell do he think he is? Yeah, Halo is so violent that kids make Spartan suits and go on a rampage that are under 18 with the rocket launcher.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
voteban jack thompson's license please. idiot.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since when does Microsoft have to responsibility to make sure that this game doesn't get sold to anyone under the age of 17? Isn't this the responsibility of the shops selling the game?

Jack Thompson phails.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jack Thompson sure does anything to get a bad reputation, doesn't he ?

He should be locked away from all society to an big island without food or anything else.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You will all take note of his tactics, though.

Jack Thompson attacks GTA, one of the biggest selling games of all time. That's the only reason for the GTA thing.

Then he confusingly attacks the Sims, another game that has sold huge--yet, he is horrifically mistaken about its content.
Again, the game's sales were directly proportional to his intentions.

Halo 1 and 2 were also huge sellers. This is only natural. I am just thankful that he is ignorant enough to have had God of War, Gears of War, and their violent ilk all go under his radar.

With Gears' sales, and his newfound proximity to the Xbox, there is no doubt in my mind he will shortly be attacking the Gears community. I just hope GTA4 comes out first, so he can focus on that.

If you really want to make an impact about this, go to my newspaper's website at [Link Removed], and start a blog about it. It will go in the paper for sure, and we have been receiving national attention from all sorts of people, so it might even go all the way to the public news.

The irony of this all of course is that Bill Gates has been retired for a while now, and even when he wasn't retired, he didn't directly deal with the Xbox, only the R&D for it. The head of the Xbox stuff is that guy Steve Price, I believe.

That being said, that letter probably isn't real. Until I see it on IGN or Gameinformer, I'd consider it as such.

Link removed per harsens' post regarding grey area. ~ Karrde

Best answers
The ****** Thompson needs something shoved up his ass.....
Seriously.... Whats his problem

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With Gears' sales, and his newfound proximity to the Xbox, there is no doubt in my mind he will shortly be attacking the Gears community. I just hope GTA4 comes out first, so he can focus on that.
Rest assured, Grand Theft Auto 4 is safe from Jack Thompson.

American anti-video game activist and Florida lawyer Jack Thompson stated he would take various measures to prevent the sale of the game by Rockstar to minors. On March 16, 2007, Rockstar's parent company, Take Two Interactive, filed a lawsuit against Thompson in Florida in attempt to block him from trying to declare its games (or any game) a public nuisance. It would be a crime to sell games declared to be a public nuisance, effectively banning such games, a violation of First Amendment rights. Thompson responded by filing a counter suit, accusing Take Two Interactive of violating federal RICO statutes (the charge was later dropped), committing perjury, obstruction of justice, and conspiring against him with third parties to deprive him of his civil rights.

On April 20, 2007, both parties reached a settlement and agreed to drop their respective lawsuits. Under the terms of the settlement Thompson is barred from suing to block the sale or distribution of any future games published by Take Two Interactive or any of its subsidiaries. He will no longer be able to bring his accusations regarding Take Two Interactive's games directly to the publisher or any of its business associates. He will be restricted to communicating through Take Two's attorneys on any future matters. Thompson will still be able to maintain his outspoken stance against the publisher's titles, as well as still being allowed to act as counsel in lawsuits brought against Take Two Interactive by other parties.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_4#Jack_Thompson

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never believe anything I read there, no matter how reasonable it seems. Already, I see a hole--you aren't "charged" with things when you get sued, only if you are on trial, and even then, the "charge" is what they arrest you over.

Either way though it seems down to earth enough to be reasonably close to true. Would also explain why he's latched on to other games with similar sales figures as of late.

EDIT: Seems the Wiki is updated from more reputable sources than usual, so it seems on the up and up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, Jack sure is sure of himself. Either that or he's a complete idiot with no understanding of how easily Microsoft can crush his puny legal attack.

One or the other.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Found some real gems in that one.

Jack said:
As you also know, Lee Boyd Malvo trained on Microsoft?s Halo to further enable him to become the remarkably efficient ?DC Beltway Sniper.? That was reported by NBC News at the time and was noted in Malvo?s criminal trial.
Yes, because sniper rifles have analog sticks on them.

Jack said:
I have done that before successfully as to Best Buy, and I shall do so again as to Microsoft and all retailers of Halo 3.
the only thing that reminds me of is This

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh this case will be dropped faster than you can say "publicity stunt".

I would love it if he won and got Halo 3 banned or something. No joke, I can garuntee you the fanbase would not let him live past a month.

Best answers
Jack Thompson isn't doing anyone any good. But just incase, someone should email him a link to Manhunt 2, so he doesn't pick on Halo :x

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jack Thompson isn't doing anyone any good. But just incase, someone should email him a link to Manhunt 2, so he doesn't pick on Halo :x
Manhunt 2 is being developed by Rockstar Games which happens to be the development department of Take Two games. This of course doesn't keep Jack Thompson from saying anything negative about the games, though I don't think he would be willing to do that since he could've ended up in jail if an agreement wasn't reached. I wouldn't be surprised if other video game developers end up suing Jack Thompson like Take Two did.

Besides, Jack Thompson for the most part hasn't affected sales for any games on a large scale though he did make a few small dents. In my opinion, Jack Thompson doesn't have a whole lot of leverage when it comes to suing games for supposedly promoting violence. I would be more worried about Hillary Clinton at the moment due to her political status and stance on violent video games.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jack Thompson isn't allowed to sue Take-Two anymore. How long did any of you think it was going to take until he found someone else to sue?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said: he just goes down the list of top selling games of the last five years, one by one.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jack Thompson is a low life scumbag who deserves to be shot end of discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom