exercise and pumpup thread

Force Pit Member
Best answers
basicly if we have enough time to stay in front of the pc, we have enough time to make atleast 15 pushups, dont feel like it? well thats what this thread is here for, competeing with oneanother by how mutch we exercise, we exchange techniques and new more eficient types of exercises
well what do ya say guys, do i have the stamp of yorue approval? =]

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pushups are the most convenient form of exercise you can do for yourself. I started doing them every day a couple of years ago, and I would max out at about 13 at the time. It'll go up for you fast enough that you'll plainly see your own progress with them, and that'll keep you feeling like you want to work out. The extra muscle you'll end up with on your chest and forearms will increase your metabolism and help you burn calories so you'll start to lose weight. Just max yourself out once a day if you're lazy (Like I am) or you can try to do it properly and do multiple reps.

A fair warning about doing reps with pushups... If you do multiple reps in a single day, even so few as two, and you wear those arms down, you will not be able to do as many the next day. You might even be too sore to want to. It was easier for me to max out once per day, every day, for the first year I was doing them, because it allowed my arms to repair themselves by the next, and it kept me consistent.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You might even be too sore to want to.
The entire method behind working out is to reach this point and then do at least 1 more. When you keep pushing your limit thats when your body goes "Hey guys we need more muscles on these arms!" and you start burning fat and gaining muscle. If you stop before you hit your limit you might not see results for a long time, if ever.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm a totally lazy couch potato. I'd exercise, if it weren't for the fact that I don't gain weight no matter how much I eat.

I have to agree with Hibiki on that training part. You have to really push you limit, and then
not train for one or two days to get the maximum effect. It's called supercompensation.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a wii

All the exercise I need

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training):

A HIIT session involves a warmup period, several short, maximum-intensity efforts separated by moderate recovery intervals, and a cooldown period. The period of alternating effort and recovery intervals typically lasts a total of 15 minutes.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

For example:

Warm up for ten minutes.
Jog for six minutes.
Sprint for one minute.
Jog for six minutes.
Sprint for one minute.
Jog for six minutes.
Sprint for one minute.
Jog for six minutes.
Sprint for one minute.
Jog for six minutes.
Walk for twenty minutes.

It's a simple method of training to set up, but difficult to pull off. Either way, you'll get a really good work out:

Studies by Tabata, Tremblay and others have shown this method to be more effective at burning fat and maintaining, or building, muscle mass than high-volume, lower intensity aerobic work-outs. According to a study by King, HIIT increases the resting metabolic rate (RMR) for the following 24 hours due to excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, and may improve maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 max) more effectively than doing only traditional, long aerobic workouts. Long aerobic workouts have been promoted as the best method to reduce fat, as fatty acid utilization usually occurs after at least 30 minutes of training. HIIT is somewhat counter intuitive in this regard, but has nonetheless been shown to burn fat more effectively. There may be a number of factors that contribute to this, including an increase in RMR, and possibly other physiological effects.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Best answers
I currently lift 3 days a week for about an hour and a half a day. My favorite thing to work out is my triceps, I love my triceps.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Biking ftw :)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The entire method behind working out is to reach this point and then do at least 1 more. When you keep pushing your limit thats when your body goes "Hey guys we need more muscles on these arms!" and you start burning fat and gaining muscle. If you stop before you hit your limit you might not see results for a long time, if ever.
It was easier for me to max out once per day, every day, for the first year I was doing them, because it allowed my arms to repair themselves by the next, and it kept me consistent.
I saw results within the first three weeks... and the most important thing about starting to exercise is to be consistent. If you get sore once, and forget to do it for a week because you aren't sure how long to wait before you start again or whatever, you'll lose your drive before it's time to get going again. Consistency is key.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a tip that many seem to overlook:

Make a schedule.

Sticking to a schedule will yield better and faster results than if you simply went off the top of your head. For the longest time, I did the latter and had difficulty keeping my workouts consistent. Not to mention I made very little progress in doing so. I found myself scratching my head, trying to remember what I did the day before.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to start lifting soon over summer, my aim is to drop 40 lbs and go to about 200 lbs.

Fluffy Kaination will be gone :'(

Best answers
Most amount of pushups i can do is only like... 47. I got a low endurance so that explains it.

But i set 2 records for weight lifting at school.

Curl: 155 lbs
Bench: 220 lbs (dropped from 245)
Squat: 355 lbs
Powerclean: 230 lbs (First record i set, pound for pound = 145% over my bodyweight)
Situps: 96 (again.. because of the low endurance)
Military Press: 185 lbs (tore my rotator cuff doing that though, so i dunno if it counts)
Deadlift: 445 lbs (Thats also a record, pound for pound its the highest = 287% over my bodyweight)

I should post some videos up. Those maxes were back in February, when i was stronger... My rotator cuff is pretty messed up now, so i cant lift as much anymore.

Best answers
Mine's around 30 - 40

Because I usually do 3 different types of pushups set of 10 - 15

the tricep type
the bicep type
and the pectoral type

Best answers
I don't know if anyone else has seen them at walmart, but they have the "perfect pushups" which are simply two rotating grips. They work like magic. If you want pushups to be a serious part of your workout regimen, I would suggest them highly.

Best answers
I don't know if anyone else has seen them at walmart, but they have the "perfect pushups" which are simply two rotating grips. They work like magic. If you want pushups to be a serious part of your workout regimen, I would suggest them highly.
I'll agree with that, those actually utilize your biceps too, which is good if you want some equally defined arms.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1) 4 Sets of 60 push ups followed by a final set where I try to max out my number of push ups
2) 2 sets of 15 handstand push ups and then 3 sets of 35 of what someone told me were called chinese push ups. I doubt this is the actual name, but I like doing them.
3) 3 or 4 sets of as many pull ups as I'm able to do (which at this point is 14, but I'd like to be able to do 20 by July)
4) 1000 Squats. Depending on how I'm feeling, I'll hold 50 lb free weights and try to do 500. If I can't, whatever.
5) 1500 sit ups (not all in one go, although I think I'd be able to if it was for a test or something)
6) Various free weight exercises. Honestly, I don't really have a routine for this. I basically work out whichever parts feel like they need to be worked out.
7) 4 sets of holding out 40 lb free weights for 2 minutes, or more if I'm able to. At the moment, I pretty much max out there.
8) Horse stance position for as long as I can hold out. I haven't timed this as I usually just watch television while doing it (I get bored just staring at a wall and counting o.0), but I'll get around to it eventually.
9) I run 3 miles a day in 16 minutes. I'm trying to get the number as low as possible. Even if I can't, I'm already ahead of everyone I know.

I'm not big into using weights. When I need to, I'll use my free weights, but I never bench or use machines. My reason? A lot of the people I've come across who use machines all the time get pretty big, and can bench incredible amounts of weight, but when it comes to actually fighting me, they're slow, get tired easily, and really aren't all that strong, judging by how they hit me. I'm training for the Marines, and I feel that at this point, you'd have to have trained a good amount of time to be able to kick my ass. I like to talk a big game, but I'm also a fan of being able to back all of it up.

I don't exercise to look good. That just comes naturally. I don't exercise to be huge, like Roids aka Walmart.

I do all of the above during my work week, and I rest on the weekend. I tend to run after I wake up, which is around 3 or 4am, because there aren't very many people around. People tend to get nervous when they see someone sprinting around here. If I've injured myself, which rarely happens, I'll take another day off during the week. No more than that, though.

Last edited:
Best answers
I don't exercise to look good. That just comes naturally. I don't exercise to be huge, like Roids aka Walmart.
Well that was uncalled for... but your not the first to call me that =P

Seriously though, i lift weights to be strong, not huge. I weigh 155 pounds... im pretty sure thats not classified as being huge.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well that was uncalled for... but your not the first to call me that =P

Seriously though, i lift weights to be strong, not huge. I weigh 155 pounds... im pretty sure thats not classified as being huge.
I was being ironic.

And you don't have to weigh a lot to look huge. That's why we say "It's all fluff". Big muscles don't always translate to incredible strength and endurance. Strength without endurance is akin to having bullets but no gun to fire them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom