Edit your ESF

Best answers
Hi everyone,

I have the HL SDK and want to edit my ESF. There were a few functions I was able to extract from the Hl.dll file but really have no clue what i am doing. I've fooled around like replace certain files from 1.3 to 1.2 and vice versa to see the effects.

I'd really like to use my C++ knowledge, and tweak the esf 1.2 game to do certain things I would like (as hard/demanding as it may be). So i'd have my version (which i wouldn't distribute for copyright reasons) to play with bots and the original to play with others online. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this (having access to code that can be recomplied)?

it has to be possible right, because how did EVM do it? By simply tricking the game into thinking it was opening up it's originial sprites? I think not cuz the filenames are different.

Thanks for any help in advance

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
EVM/ECX used AMX Mod X to create their enhancements for ESF. What you are wanting to do is impossible without the source of ESF.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJ4boneVegeta said:
t has to be possible right, because how did EVM do it? By simply tricking the game into thinking it was opening up it's originial sprites? I think not cuz the filenames are different.

Thanks for any help in advance
Thats exacly how they did it actually ^^

They ussed AMXX. And AMXX catches commands from hl.dll and lets you modify them with the code from AMXX itself. You can even tell the game to ignore the commands comming from the mod and simply do what you told it to using AMXX.

So yea its basically tricking the engine to do something while the mod says to do something else ^^

As for the code. You probably wont be able to get your hands on the beta code unless you join the dev team as a coder. But you can download the Alpha code from esf-world if you want to.

Best answers
Hey, thanks guys for all the help. I might fool around with the alpha source code or learn to use AMX as I already have it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a question. Did you decompile the DLL? If I remember correctly, I think that's against the rules or something. I vaguely remember such a discussion a long time ago. I don't remember exactly what was said though.

Best answers
No, I don't know how to do that. I don't really remember what I did as I tried a few things. And I think it was through a lib file how I saw a list of some (esf defined) functions, but it was only the head/prototype. Didn't really do me any good.

So to give a little update, I am learning the gist of how AMX works, learning what does what and where the files are located (a tutorial could sure help).

My goal for now is to simply generate a sprite of a water splash whenever someone is thrown into a body of water. Ideally the size/length/height (assuming it's dynamic) will be a function of the speed of the person/client entering the water.

That's something I've wanted to see for a long time. And not really knowing if it was not implemented because of the trickiness of sprites (rotation and angle), gives me a change to try it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, good luck to you. AMX (and Pawn) is well documented on their site, so check that out if you're having trouble learning what's what. I personally can't stand Pawn. I hate the syntax. x_x

Best answers
Thanks I spent the whole weekend trying to learn without the internet to make reference to. It was hard but with some success & fun. Pawn is similar to C++ with minor changes (in my opinion). I am going to start a new thread though as this subject was answered.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJ4boneVegeta said:
No, I don't know how to do that. I don't really remember what I did as I tried a few things. And I think it was through a lib file how I saw a list of some (esf defined) functions, but it was only the head/prototype. Didn't really do me any good.

So to give a little update, I am learning the gist of how AMX works, learning what does what and where the files are located (a tutorial could sure help).

My goal for now is to simply generate a sprite of a water splash whenever someone is thrown into a body of water. Ideally the size/length/height (assuming it's dynamic) will be a function of the speed of the person/client entering the water.

That's something I've wanted to see for a long time. And not really knowing if it was not implemented because of the trickiness of sprites (rotation and angle), gives me a change to try it.

This? -> http://www.amxmodx.org/funcwiki.php?go=module&id=19

Best answers
Hey wow, Thx grega. Although the link you sent wasn't what I am looking for, It still showed me that the esf.inc and esf_const.inc versions that I have is outdated as these have way more functions for me to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom