Dual boot?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You need to use a bootmanager for that. My father has a bootmanager for his PC, and has like 5 different windows versions on it. Works perfectly, including password support. I don't know the name right now, but he'll be home in like an hour or so. So I can tell you the name of the bootmanager then.

Edit:
Lucky you, he just called. The bootmanager is called Gag, and it is opensource: http://gag.sourceforge.net/
There's a list on the website with all the stuff it supports.

Last edited:
Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I installed Windows Vista on C and Windows 7 on D.
It auto makes it dual boot :)

But you should install windows 7 on low-end PC's...
XP can run games better than 7 does now.

Best answers
so i have xp installed
i downloaded gag... what now?
install 7 before or after i install gag?
pls help me

---------- Double Post below was added at 04:30 PM has been merged with this post created at 04:15 PM ----------

ok i have an idea
i format parition C 50 GB
and split it into 2... 25 and 25 GB
ok?
what windows do i install first so i can have both windows booting
XP or 7?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When I was dual-booting XP and 7, I used GParted Live (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) to shrink my XP partition by about 40 GB, giving that to a new partition that I installed 7 onto.

As I recall, 7 simply installed the boot manager that Vista and 7 use all on its own. I didn't need a third-party boot manager.

If you do plan on using GParted, PLEASE make sure to back up anything important before resizing your active partition(s). While I've never run into any difficulties, they are, certainly, possible. It's always best to be prepared.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't use anything, just install xp make 2 partitions - then install win 7 on the other. Done. That's what I did, works fine with no third party programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom