DBZ FF - The Avatar

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oos: edit above
--------
Rael walked into the room slowly, kimono swishing gently as he came to a stop some feet from his host.

Korren stood there silent for a moment, unknowing of what to do. Before everything had gone wrong, he had been fairly adroit in handling children, able to make younger members of the Tijen family laugh by doing funny faces or things. But it had been years since he'd even seen a child, and over this course of time the easy going manner he'd had around them had been replaced by the cold emptiness of loss. He blinked once, then decided that he would be better off treating the boy as if he were an adult himself.

"Finally, you're awake," he said, letting a small measure of annoyance seep into his voice, "and it's about time too. I had to use a senzu bean to heal your injuries, but I was still doubtful of whether or not you would ever break that coma you were in."

The man who was apparently responsible for his presence here towered over him. He was fairly well built, with wide shoulders and muscles that strained against some places of his gi. His black hair fell to his shoulders in wild strands, and his face possessed wrinkles around his his eyes and mouth uncommon for a man of his age.

"I'm sorry," Rael said, bowing respectfully.

The man stretched his neck to one side, and shrugged. "Well, it doesn't matter. Despite the difficulty of growing them, a life is more important than a senzu bean. What's your name boy?"

"Rael Zarin, sir."

Tijen's finally warrior gave a short nod. "I'm Korren Jarein, guess you could call me keeper of this castle."

Kerius gasped in disbelief. Korren Jarein? Korren Jarein Tijen?

"I haven't made anything for lunch, but there should be some leftovers from breakfast in the kitchen if you're hungry," Korren said, gesturing over his shoulder to the open door behind him. "After you're done eating, we'll see about getting you home." Quickly, he added silently.

Rael bowed again. "Thank you."

Korren watched Rael move into the kitchen, then resumed his training. The boy would not require much help in there. He had not been able to eat all the food he'd prepared this morning, (which was quite a bit), and so most of it still sat on the table, covered by plates or cloth.

It wouldn't be too long before he could resume his normal lifestyle, Korren thought. One of solitude, and perpetual quiet. As soon as he found out where this child had come from, he would take him back to the mainland to be reuinted with whatever relatives he had, and that would end the duty his self assigned duty to the boy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So despite the universe's apparent best effort at keeping them from their destination, they had arrived.
Kerius looked upon his surroundings with new appreciation. Now that he considered it, he realized that this castle was vaguely familiar. The lines of the walls, the curves of the ceilings and the arch of the windows. And of course the sheer size . . .

After a few more minutes contemplation he no longer suspected it, he knew. This was Crimson Sanctuary.

It'd had been a long time since he'd last seen the hallowed halls of this fortress, centuries, and the circumstances then had hardly been the friendliest.

It had been almost 800 years ago, and the races of the universe were in all out war against one another. Whole planets were enveloped in the bitter struggle between each groups wish to rule over all others.
It seemed as though humans were the only races not actively engaging in or even aware of the struggle, but that in no way made them exempt from it, and like so many others Earth was meant to be ruined by battle.

That was what would have happened if the Tijen had not existed. They were the protectors, the designated guardians of this planet, and despite the vastness of their particular duty, they handled it amply. It was very seldom that the civilians of the world were victims of collateral damage.
Still, even the best forces have their limits, and the Tijen's had been time. The war stretched on years longer than they had bargained for, and as their defense of the Earth continued, more and more of their warriors fell in battles over the year.
50 years was the amount of time that had passed since the conflict had reached Earth, and the Tijen were weary, their forces were scattered and underpowered.
When Kerius visited them this first time, it had been approaching the final conflict that everyone knew was coming, the battle that would surely declare the winners and losers of the war. And with the Tijen family in the condition as it was, it was unlikely they would make it through to the end.
The warrior Farren Jarein had been the leader of the Tijen's at the time, and when Kerius came to him, he offered him the knowledge of a technique that only the kai's knew, a technique so mighty that it would assure there survival into the future.

Kaioken.

Teaching the technique to mere mortals had been forbidden, but Kerius deemed that the family of fighters had more than proved themselves to be extra ordinary, and the situation they were in was unique. And as Kerius was the planet's watcher, it was his duty to do what was necessary to protect it.

It took Farren a relatively short time to learn the technique, and with it his power was unequaled among his peers. And once they too learned it their places in victory were assured.
In a show of his appreciation, Farren had given him his word that forever onward would Kerius's name be honored in the Tijen family, and that whatever request he made, no matter when or what it was, would be granted . . .

Kerius shook away his recollections of the ancient events that had ultimately brought him and Rael here.
All that remained to begin Rael on his training was alerting Korren to the importance of the person's he now had in his care. But that was easier said than done. More likely than not, Korren would not believe Rael if the boy said he was here to collect on an old debt. No, he wouldn't believe that at all . . . what was needed was a demonstration of authenticity, then after that, Korren would do as whatever was required to fulfill the needs of his ancestors benefactor.

With his thoughts occupied with the revelation of their hosts identity, Kerius paid little attention to Rael as he gorged himself on the food arrayed before him.
Instead, he turned his focus inward. They had arrived, somehow they had survived the trials of the ocean and this was their reward.
Kerius felt giddy. The plans he'd had in motion for so long, the forces that had helped him along the way, that must still be helping him, were finally coming together. Perhaps now, there was still time . . . now all that was left was to pass this revelation on to Rael.

Korren didn't open his eyes when Rael silently re-entered the room, didn't budge when the child sat down across from his cross-legged, his appetite appeased for the moment. He didn't need to.

They were both silent for a time, one staring at other, the other ignoring the one. Finally, Korren opened his eyes.

"Alright kid, now I want to know why the heck you were out in the middle of the ocean. Were you on a ship? A plane.

Rael shook his head.

"No? Then what?"

"I swam here, sir, from North City bay."

Korren's brows knitted together as he calculated this distance between his island and that place. North City Bay was the closest land mass to his island, but that was over a hundred miles. His confusion gave way to annoyance. It looked like he wasn't going to learn what really happened after all.
"Alright, whatever I'm sending you back to where you came from. Were you travelling with family? Your parents maybe?"

"My . . . parents?" The boy shook his head again.

Korren growled. "None of the above, huh? Well, fine, I'm sure North City childcare services would be happy to take you in." Perhaps the possibility of entering an orphanage would convince the child to tell the truth.

Rael was suddenly on his feet. "No, I can't! Please, can I stay here? Please Korren, sir?"

"You know, not many people ask me to stay here, but for the few that do, you know what I say to them?"

"You say yes?"

"I say no. Perhaps it's escaped your notice, but there isn't anyone else here but you and me. And you know why that is? I like living alone. And if you live here, then that would mean I wouldn't be by myself anymore. Now, you can either tell me how I can get in contact with your parents, or I'll simply fly you back to the mainland and let the people there deal with you."

Sit down Rael, I think it is time I talk to this man.

Er, you can do that?

Yes, I think so. It has been sometime since I have needed to perform this, but I believe I can project myself outside of your body for a short time . . . close your eyes, this will feel somewhat strange.

Kerius's voice became silent for a moment and it seemed as though notung had happened, then Rael felt himself becoming extremely tired, as if something was draining away the very force that gave him life.
The boy's shoulders slump and he fought to remain conscious. What's happening? He yelled in his own mind, beginning to panic.

Be still, it is almost over . . .

Seconds later, Rael began to feel himself returning to normal. He still felt weary, but it was no longer a struggle to keep his eyes open.
He forced himself to look up. No doubt Korren had become concerned as to the boy's health . . . but he hadn't moved. In fact, he seemed to be stunned.
His eyes were locked on to a place a little ways behind Rael, and much higher up, taking in the glowing figure of a man garbed entirely in white.

Best answers
dude this is g-r-e-a-t-!!

i know ur proffession!: Become a writer!!! and u will have a lot of best sellers!! Damn what a story!!

Best answers
i cant beleive im reading this... ill admit at first i thought "o great... some half-assed story some one made up AGAIN!!!" and then i read it... and wanted to kick my own ass for even thinking something so stupid. this story is so INTERESTING!!! its really grabbed my attention and just letting u know i love it!!! keep it up

Best answers
SA Gohan i think you should get the fan fiction award, this is really good and it looks like it took weeks to think of....

Any way, i think the admin should give you an medal. Best fan fic iv read in a long time.

Xer

Best answers
Please give us more, or a link to more or your brain and a brain-reading machine, or something, pleeeeease :(

Best answers
lol a tip for SA_gohan: if u cant be online as much type it out in word or somthing and copy and paste when u get online!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SA_Gohan, you're ****ing awsome! :laff:
Keep going, and please don't stop ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks guys :)
@Mystic_Saiyan: That's what I always do :p

---------------------------------------------------------------

Korren remained where he was, the expression of surprise frozen on his face as he looked at the new visitor. The arrival of this stranger had been so sudden, so completely unexpected that the man could do nothing but stare blankly at the figure.
The Tijen could feel the power washing off him, flowing from the other's shoulders in waves, pooling around his feet, an invisible mystical energy. In the face of something like this, Korren knew he was nothing.

So the two stared ay each other, eyes never shifting, and Rael looked from one to the other, wondering why they were both so quiet.

Finally Kerius spoke, the smile in his voice evident even though Rael had turned his head back towards Korren for the moment. "You do yourself credit Korren Jarein Tijen, not rising to attack me. Your self control must be strong . . . or is it fear?"

Korren blinked once at the spirit's words, then his eyes narrowed and he rose deliberately to his feet, arms hanging loosely by his sides. His lack of a stance meant in no way that he was unprepared for battle, even if he was certain to come out as the loser in the fight. He could feel the energy within him arousing, beginning to pulse through his veins in preparation for battle. It was only through will power that he kept the ki from erupting from his skin, kept his arms by his side instead of lashing out against the man before him.

The words that came from his mouth were quiet, cold, but clearly audible to all present. "You have some nerve, friend. You come into my house to insult me. How dare you?"

Kerius's smile never wavered, instead his voice became tinged with amusement. "It appears I was right the first time. Such control, and power, both matched only by your anger. Now, now, stay your fist. You brought me in here yourself, and punching your guest would be terribly improper."

"What are you talking about? You're no guest of mine! I bid you to leave at once, for soft words and cutting taunts will not save you from my vengeance if you do not!"

The other merely stood where he was, retaining the infuriatingly calm smile on his face as he gazed steadily at Korren. "On the contrary, I am a guest, your guest, Sir Korren. The other half of the child you have rescued. My name is Kerius . . . " The spirit seemed to want to say more. His mouth was open as if to do so, but instead he allowed himself to trail off, which had the desired effect.

Korren took a half step back, astonishment mingled with fear stretching the muscles of his face. Before him was a figure straight from the legends of his family!
There was no doubt in his mind about this, for Kerius's words had the undeniable ring of truth to them.
He remembered the stories passed down to each new generation from the time of their inception. Centuries ago, an envoy from the Kai's themselves had visited upon Farren, the leader of the Tijen at the time. The family had been in greatest need of help back then. They were the single flame, blowing in the wind, trying to hold back the encroaching darkness, and the time was coming when the victor's would emerge from the long war, stepping upon the broken backs of those unfortunates who had lost.
It had been Kerius who had given Farren the tools he had needed to insure the Tijen's place among the victors, it had been him who had helped saved not only the family, or the Earth, but perhaps even the universe.

After the war, Kerius had simply disappeared, and some doubted his existence, claiming it had been Farren who had discovered the might of the Kaioken, the blood fire of the gods, but the legend remained. Though unsubstantiated.

Until now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, you should write a book ;)
Your FF is so detailed and exciting, in a way, it's better than a movie

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oos: bwhahaha, and ha! :D

Ah yes. To avoid future problems, I'd like to make it clear that the character's Kaliburn, Lodin, Thanatos, and Nicadamius are not of my creation, and neither is the secondary story introduced in this post. The secondary story is an old saga storyline for Gekitou and I used it some months ago on that site to tie into what everyone else was doing.
What is in this post I did write, but it is an abbreviated version of that saga.
----------------------------

"I take it you have heard of me?"

Korren managed recover himself from the shock much faster than he thought himself capable of and nodded. "W-what do you want with me?"

Finally I'm getting the reaction I'd wanted, Kerius thought wryly.
"Nothing save your full attention."

The light around Kerius seemed to ripple the air as he shifted, then sat down upon the ground cross-legged next to Rael.
"What I am about to confide in you has not been before heard of by any mortal. It is information, and the power within that information, that will change both your life and the life of the young child beside me. Please, be silent until I have completed my narrative, it is in the best interests of you and your world if you do so."

"The first time I visited this planet as the envoy of the Kai's, I came as a balancer, a mediator between the forces of good and evil. At the time my purpose was to merely assist your family in it's struggle against evil, to make sure it could indefinetely stay the forces of darkness. To do that, I granted upon your ancestor's the gift of Kaioken.
Over these many centuries, the gift has served your family well, for the Tijen have proven themselves time and again as the greatest force of good in existence."

"Through your families efforts, an entire generation of evil was destroyed, and since that time the universe has been more or less at peace. That time is fast coming to an end however, as the darkness has recovered, and will soon make a permanent mark upon the galaxy."

Rael looked over at his guide. "Didn't you just say that an entire generation of evil was wiped out?"

Kerius frowned at the interruption, but answered the question. "Evil depends not on it's existence in one time to survive into another. The darkness resides within all of us. It is anger, it is fear, it is hatred; three emotions that exist within nearly every one of the trillions of lifeforms in the universe. A generation need only to pass for these people to have forgotten the lessons learned by their fathers, their grandfathers, or their mothers and grandmothers, at which time the evil will spring forth anew, just as twisted and horrible as ever."

"Oh."

"However, the evil I am speaking of, the danger that threatens all of creation comes not from the youth of the present, but is an ancient force from the past."

"The past?" Rael inquired.

"Yes. What did I say about interupting?"

"Sorry."

"Now, eons ago, there existed four of the greatest warriors in the universe. Though from disparate origin's and different planets, these men were united in their goal of upholding the light of justice and aided the Kai's in the fight for good in a way unlike any ever before, and for this, the gods bestowed upon them eternal life, and perpetual youth."

"In the decades following this event they put their gift to good use and helped many worlds all over the galaxy, a task which was greatly appreciated as the Tijen were the only other force fighting the good fight. As time passed however, and the pleasures and perks offered by their gifts became increasingly apparent, two of the fighters wavered in their convictions and fell into the grip of evil. Their names were Thanatos and Nicadamius, and they slaughtered many."

"As the war had ended merely a half-century before, and the only forces that could stop them were heavily depleted in their numbers or ill trained in battle, it seemed as though the two's shadow of evil would cloak everything.
So, having no other choice, the remaining good immortals, or Ancients as they are called now, decided that they could not allow their once comrades destruction of all that they had suffered to protect. These two were named Kaliburn and Lodin.

"It was some 750 years ago that the two opposing forces met on the ice world of Vice and began to fight. Both sides possessed powerful warriors, and both were set in their goals of domination over the other, but only one succeeded. The battle lasted mere minutes. Kaliburn and Lodin had improved considerably since the last time the four had been gathered together, and Thanatos and his partner were overwhelmed and imprisoned in two separate crystals called Candora."
"Their battle won, Kaliburn and Lodin merely left the crystals in the frozen fields of Vice, where they have lain for centuries, entombed in ice."

Korren arched an eyebrow, completely enthralled. This was all a very fascinating story after all. He could almost see the pictures painted by the words Kerius had said, could feel the stinging winds of Vice freezing his blood, and he found himself slightly unnerved at the spirit's recollections. He also found himself curious of what the spirit expected of him.

"How does this explain your presence?"

Kerius refocused his gaze on the Tijen, having completely gone with his memories as he had told the two mortals of what had passed some 700 years ago. His brown eyes seemed to burn with a holy light, looking as though they were lit from behind the irises, and Korren found himself unable to hold his gaze for more than a few seconds before glancing away.

"Recently the world government has begun research into discovering energy sources that will help the people of Earth cope with their growing need for eletrical power. They have hired a group of scientists who have some prior experience in this field, if you have a radio here you should begin hearing about it soon."
"Ten years from now these scientists will stumble upon the Candora's and bring them back to Earth, where Thanatos will be accidentally released by one of them and possesssed. If he is not stopped soon afterwards, this world will be destroyed, and everything beyond it."

Best answers
WOw dude. You just keep getting better. I wish I could write stuff that interesting.

Best answers
I might actually sit down later and read this, though I'm not too keen on DBZ fanfics.;)

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With this story you wil probably become one, i've read it all in one row, and i must say, it's fabulous, please go on Sa_Gohan.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The sound of his own pulse was all that Korren heard for several seconds after that apocalyptic pronouncement. His heart beat rapidly in his chest in response to the sudden anxiety he felt. It . . . this could not be true . . .
He closed his eyes for a moment, fighting down what he felt within him; fear, in its most unadulterated form. Every generation of Tijen that had preceded him had always known, had always prepared for the possibility of another dark war like the one 800 years before. Every generation had feared that if it came, they might not be able to withstand it, that they would be overwhelmed and destroyed for all eternity.

And now, for Korren, such a thing was no longer a possibility or eventuality that might come sometime in the future, might happen to some faceless entity that as yet didn't exist. It was a reality, Kerius had convinced him of it now. The evil was coming.

And why is this a problem? Why should I care in the least? The question came from within himself, the part that had thought that he as the last of his kind should stay hidden in this fortress of his ancestors creation. And just as it had then, it had a point.
Why did this concern him at all? He was a Tijen, yes, and he had been the leader of them all, and look at what had happened. He was one man, the last of an organization that had entered the twilight stage of its existence. He did not know why this spirit had come to him, bringing a child in its tow, but he would help neither anymore than he already had. Protecting the innocent was no longer his purpose in life, the safety of the Earth and stars beyond it not his responsibility.
When Korren reopened his eyes, he was once again centered, all emotions dispelled from his face. The solution to this was simple. The evil would come . . . but he would not be on Earth to greet it.

Rael, who had tried to suppress his curiosity since Kerius's last reminder could do so no longer. "Can't you ask Kaliburn and Lodin to defeat Thanatos again when he arrives?

Kerius seemed to think on his response for a moment, deciding how best to phrase what he had to tell them. When he answered, his words were brusque, almost as if he were angry at the facts he had to give. "It is unknown what has become of the Ancients. Not many years after the confrontation on Planet Vice, both Kaliburn and Lodin simply vanished into civilization. As they are immortal, it has been assumed that they are alive somewhere, going through their existence as travelers or hermits. Given the passage of time, and their wordless decision, it is clear these two will be of no assistance in the coming war."

As Kerius turned his gaze towards the master of the castle, Korren could almost see what he though, and knew that the question that was most important, the one the spirit had waited this long to ask, would be the one he would refuse.

"The answer to your request is no."

Both Rael and Kerius stared at Korren, one's eyes filled with confusion, the other's changing from astonishment to anger.

"My predecessors may have been foolish followers of your and the Kai's whims, but I am not, not any longer. For twenty years I was raised and trained for one purpose in life, to lead the Tijen, the warriors who for hundreds of years have held back the darkness, who had been the Kai's tool, weapon, in this universe. It was my destiny, one I had been proud to endowed with."

Korren's face twitched slightly from tightly controlled anger, and his ki seemed to roil within his stomach, roused, ready to strike out at the source of his anger. His eyes narrowed. "But where were the Kai's in our one time of need? When we were hunted like animals, cut off from one another and slaughtered to a man, where were they?! Watching from above, uncaring of the men and women, the family, who had faithfully served them for centuries. Our lives . . . the lives of all I knew and cared about, they were happy to let that monster kill destroy them all!"

Rael and Kerius's eyes widened in disbelief. "What?" The spirit breathed.

"I'm the last one, the only warrior who survived, and only then by some horrible fluke, or perhaps due to a terrible joke from the great universal forces. And now you come to me in the name of the ‘Gods’, expecting my assistance? Nay. Find some other fool for your errands, spirit. When this evil force arrives, I will not be here to face it."

"You are the final Tijen?" Kerius asked softly.

"The final."

Kerius seemed to shrink in upon himself, the aura about his glowing form dimming, his form becoming more transparent. Korren was just like Farren. He had the same aura of authority, the seriousness. He would not make jest of such a prospect, and he would certainly not lie.
They were dead, every single one of them. The only people who he had believed might have had a chance at winning the distant war, were gone forever.

Then perhaps it was hopeless. Rael had been the key to his plan, but the Tijen had been the hand that would turn him in the lock, the fist that would strike the monster that came through the door. Without them . . .

He was silent for a long time, thoughts of what might have passed and what could be changing into what would be. In ten years, Thanatos would make Earth into a dead sphere hanging in space, a burning shell bereft of life and forever cloaked in shadow. And Thanatos would not stop on Earth. He would go on to destroy every civilization in the galaxy until there was nothing left, not one life remaining out of the trillions that had existed before.

-----
(tbc)

Best answers
:shocked:......woah..that ends in a down note...hopefully the next part isn't the end of the universe :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From the corner of his eye, Kerius glimpsed Rael patiently sitting cross-legged, waiting to see what would happen.
And he thought, Perhaps . . . perhaps there is yet something that may be done.

He turned to stare at the boy silently, new threads of a plan quickly sewing together. Rael apprenticed to Korren? He was unsure if what he wanted was wise, or even right. Originally he'd planned to let Rael slowly grow into his power and training, periodically allowing him time to visit his parents, and they to visit him. But after what had happened . . .
It was an event he'd easily altered his plans for. Emotions aside, it was probably better this way, for without any outside distractions Rael would be allowed to focus totally on his training and upon completing it, he would be one of many against a single warrior, wielding the legendary weapon. But if it was to go the way it must now then Rael would be the sole force against an adversary who's power was virtually boundless, a warrior who for all intents was a god himself. This was a great responsibility to put on a man and a boy, too much, even for one as willful and skilled a master as Korren and brave and strong as Rael . . . and yet, there was no one else, no other choices left to him except for the one he could not make. Acceptance of what was to come.

If this were to work, then Rael's life from this point on would be changed forever. He would be raised as a warrior, trained to fight and kill and die for the innocent. And even more important, he could not just grow up to be powerful . . . he would need to be invincible . . .
The training he would receive would be unlike the one he would have recieved if the Tijen still lived. He would undergo the special training of the Bearer of the Flame, a leader.

Is this fair to him? To change him such? Is it even right?
No, perhaps not. But the boy would have no future once Thanatos arrived, so it did not much matter either way, from a logic standpoint at any rate. From a moral standpoint however, the needs of the many might not outweigh the needs of the one.

Another question to ask was would it succeed.

Rael was strong. Even at his age, with no training, he was more powerful than many men dreamed of becoming, and he possessed an aura of innocence that Kerius did not believe could ever be dulled. If Rael persevered, somehow managed to overcome the many hardships that would come his way, he might chance to join the ranks of the great paladins of good and justice who had passed before him.

With such thoughts in mind, there really was no decision to make. The potential for success and what that would mean far outweighed the suffering and possible death of one boy, but still Kerius found it difficult to bring himself to do what would be required. He had grown . . . attached to the child during their tenure together and he cared far more deeply to what happened to him than he wishd to admit.

Then do this. Give the boy a chance to decide his future, if not now, then years from now when he may be able to save not only himself from Thanatos, but countless others as well.

The man sighed inwardly. A compromise between himself, and a poor one at that in his opinion . . . but the only one he could make, and perhaps the only one that could turn out favorably for everyone except Thanatos.

Decided upon his course, the spirit stood and walked to Korren's side. There was but one thing that he needed to do to set this plan in motion.
The fallen Tijen warrior stood before a glass case that displayed all those who had been in his family. There were thousands of names, all of which were written in tiny, neat script and divided into sections by their generation.

Somehow the list was able to display all the people in the Tijen family in the two by four feet space, but he was able to clearly see whatever name he was looking at, almost as though it was jumping out at him.
Magic.

Many of the names Kerius didn't recognize. Some were too recent for him to have even known they were born, and some so old that they had completely escaped his memory. But there were two that stood out from the rest in the list

"I knew him," he said, pointing to the name in Korren's family tree in which all the others sprouted from. Ranabe.
"He was my apprentice. It is because of him that I am here today."

Korren traced the hundreds of lines that went from name to tiny name, Seren, Kasi, Farren . . . all his ancestors, all those who had gone before, perhaps made special because they had lived their entire lives bravely in a war that had seemed to have no end. He sighed. The anger from before was gone now, leaving him tired and cold, and alone with an odd feeling. "How is that?" Korren asked quietly.

Kerius's own voice was barely above a whispers as he explained. "In my final battle as a mortal, I sacrificed my life so that he might go on, and have a chance to do what I had wanted, complete the mission I had started. Make a difference, change the world. I knew he was destined to do things greater than I could in life, he had the ability, the strength . . . and the truth of what I knew is undeniable. All this, all you see, is do in great part to your ancestor.

Kerius traced his finger down the line to where Farren lay, over 3000 years and many generations later, his finger passing through the indestructible glass that protected the sacred paper the tree was written upon. "I knew him as well. Characteristic of many of the Tijen Bearers that have come down the generations. Strong, proud, willful, willing to do what is right at any cost. Just as you, Korren Jarein."

"But now you are alone, the only one left of an order that has been a protector of the flame for thousands of years. Almost as it was for Ranabe."
The spirit folded his hands within the sleeves of his robes.
"You do not want to assist the Kai's, you blame them for not returning the service of protection to your family in their greatest time of need. Understandable. But I come to you not as an envoy from them, but the man who willingly spilled his own blood so that your ancestor, the very first Tijen, might go on. I also come as the one who defied the God race themselves so as to give Farren the tool he needed to insure the survival of his family, his race. And I hope I come to the one who remembers a promise made, and has the honor and skill to fulfill it."
"Do you remember it?"

Korren nodded, instant recalling the pledge made to Kerius some 700 years ago. As the next in line to lead the Tijen, the words had been drummed into Korren's mind as a child, a pledge made to the one responsible for all of them being alive. A promise of service that could never truly be fulfilled by the Tijen, and that he could not deny . . . no matter what had taken place between then and now.

"I remember. I . . . am bound by it," Korren said bitterly. He knew what would be demanded of him.

"I would never ask you to assist the ones who you so loathe, if that is what you fear. I do not wish to make an enemy out of you. Instead, I have but a simple request. I wish for you to train the child whose life you saved. Give Rael Zarin the same instruction as though he were recruited as a Tijen, as if he were to be the next Bearer."

Surprised, Korren spun towards Kerius.

"I leave the choice of training him, or distancing yourself from this world to you. I hope you choose carefully."

"I do not have to take him on as my student?"

"No."

"Why?"

Kerius gave him a small smile. "As I said, Tijen seem to be genetically willful . . . or stubborn. Forcing you to take him on would not help him or you."

"I see . . . Despite the ones you serve, you Kerius are an honorable man and you have my respect."
Korren gazed up at the lines of his family tree, eventually arriving at Ranabe's name. He was in the same position as had been his ancestor so many years ago, with the power to begin anew with the Tijen, or allow their legacy to forever be lost to the galaxy.

The man knew what Ranabe had done. Everything that existed around him, the family tree, the crests, the walls of the very castle he lived in, was an indication to the sacrifice he had made so that a force existed within the galaxy that could uphold justice and protect those who could not do so for themselves.

It suddenly occured to Korren that at some point in the future, (if there were to be a future), that others would look back upon him just as he looked back upon Ranabe and wonder at the choices he made. The question for him was, what would his choices be? What would he do?

But after what had transpired just minutes ago, and 4,000 years in the past, perhaps that wasn't really something that required long thought.

The man turned back to Kerius. "I will do what is right. I will train Rael in the ways of my family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom