Another Attempt at Video Game Ban

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Concerned by the wildly popular release of the intensely violent and racy Grand Theft Auto IV, Massachusetts State Rep. William Lantigua (D) is spearheading a proposed bill, supported by some 20 other state lawmakers, which would restrict the sale of video games with graphic violence or nudity from minors 17 and under (which would make games rated "M" for players 17 and up only available to adults 18 or older). "As a parent, I feel the less exposure to violence, the less they'll imitate the garbage on TV and video games," Laqntigua said.

GTA IV, which made $500 million in its first week of sales, broke all sales records and market expectations. Previously the industry's best seller was Halo 3, which made $300 million in its first week and was also criticized for its high level of violence. These unprecedented blockbusters for the gaming world have been turning heads, and while more people than ever before are taking the medium as seriously as Hollywood in terms of integrity and importance, it's also attracting a lot of negative attention.

The games are troubling to one Andover mom, Amy Riemer, who stated, "Why do they need the reality of scantily clad women and blowing each other's heads off and bombs, I don't understand." Ms. Riemer refuses to buy such games for her teenage sons, however she feels that even the proposed ban would not be enough. She notes that other parents would still have the right to buy these games for their own children, who would then go on to share them with others, such as her own sons. Forbidding them from going to other kids' houses is a step she would feel uneasy about.

Luckily for Ms. Riemer and Rep. Lantigua, most experts are saying that the effect of violent games on impressionable young minds may not be as bad as hyped. "There is no research that shows a link between criminal behavior or killing people with violence in television or video games," said Cheryl Olson, co-director of the Center for Mental Health and Media at Mass General Hospital. Olson was the co-author of Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games and What Parents Can Do. She states that while games have become more violent since the early 1990s, studies show youth violence has actually decreased over the same timeline.

The proposed bill has only a slight chance of succeeding, anyway. It deals with video games as "contrary to adult standards" and "lack serious literary, artistic political or scientific value," a testy first amendment issue. Nine states have passed similar bans in the past only to have them struck down by the courts.

Not everyone in Boston is on board, either. Rep. Barry Finegold (D) is the vice chairman of the Judiciary Committee, which has to consider this bill before it can pass. Finegold believes the proposed ban is frivolous and futile, stating, "I understand what they're saying, but this is like banning Ozzy when I was a teenager." He has also stated that raising children is the responsibility of parents, not the state legislature. "I'm not thrilled that the games are that violent, but ultimately it's up to the parents. That's their job."
Source: http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/in_the_news/b48785/19811079/p1

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Seriously. Parents need to learn to let go. From what I'm reading, she's willing to not let her kids go to a friends house because they might have GTA 4? Wow... what a ****ty parent.

brainfeeder
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I say we kill them all... figuratively!

Best answers
Guidelines/Ratings are out there, parents ignore them!

Seriously though, it's up to the parents to provide their kids with entertainment just about unless they have some other source of income. If the parent doesn't know and complains later, it proves that they ignored the rating system. If a parent is more informed/aware (Or has half a brain for that matter) about how such ratings and guidelines exist, then they do better parenting. I don't see how you blame a video game for real-life violent acts, not everyone in life is a psychopath and if some public speaking figure needs to make that apparent, then be my guest! But parents think they have 0% of fault in everything, when in reality, that's not the case, they are seriously neglecting and decieving themselves buy thinknig otherwise and worst yet, not using parenting skills should they have a concern that they'd raise with their son/daughter.

If they really think GTA IV is that bad, then they obviously haven't watched Hellsing LOL...

Last edited:
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think they're just jumping on the ban GTA band wagon.

"Oh hey, it's Grand Theft Auto. It's automatically bad. I don't even know what's in the game, I just know it has no plot, hookers you can **** and shoot. That's bad!"

**** you parents who ignore ESRB ratings and ruin it for everyone.

**** you.

edit: I'm gonna let me son play violent video games at a semi-young age and prove to the world he won't turn violent himself.

If he does, eh, what the ****, then we'll have another Luis Garavito on our hands.

lolar

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Overlord: Some people like to be cool and copy video games. But people like Jack Thompson likes to think the reason people do that **** is because of games like Grand Theft Auto. Some retard parent mentions that he played GTA and Jack Thompson automatically thinks it's the games fault.

And Overlord, Hellsing isn't a video game, it's an Anime.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Fine parents for letting kids get a hold of materials beyond their recommended viewing/listening/interacting age.

Easy fix.

Best answers
Overlord: Some people like to be cool and copy video games. But people like Jack Thompson likes to think the reason people do that **** is because of games like Grand Theft Auto. Some retard parent mentions that he played GTA and Jack Thompson automatically thinks it's the games fault.

And Overlord, Hellsing isn't a video game, it's an Anime.
I knew that...

But by comparision, most parents would get similar thoughts. They obviously dislike blood and gore, whether it be in a game or other media for entertainment purposes. Think of it as a spectrum as a whole, not limited to a video game, movie or book, it's like the catholic church for example speaking out against pokemon cards, Harry Potter or Stem cells (Despite being a practising catholic myself, I believe there's a fine line between your own persona and doctrines and what morals you have). If I let a kid read Harry Potter for example, I could fear the worst that he'd become a wizard when reality is such opposite by example, he'd just be weirdo and harmless by comparision, but you can see that the key word is influence, it'll drive people to do different things, some good, some great, some harmless, some bad etc. All outcome based!

Any GTA bandwagon though is overrated. I mean, surely by now, younger people are aware of what the boycotts are about and would want to prove their boycott wrong by any case. With GTA for example so far, a large percentage of us have already proved that we don't go and do crazy, stupid, retarded or violent acts in society.

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I swear to ****ing god.

If one more person tries to sum up GTA as "having sex with a hooker, and killing her"...Even Stephen Colbert said something along the lines of that, though it was for the sake of comedy.

Super Moderator
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It will fail like all the other bills before it.

Lawl @ first amendment.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The only kids who are affected by violent/sexual tv, movies, video games, and etc are the ones raised by the media. If parents actually raised their kids, teaching them fantasy vs. reality, then we'd have less to worry.

And even then the way I just talked about it shows that we make it a bigger problem than it is.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
These arguments are fantastic, but as wholeheartedly as we all agree with the sentiment that parents should be better at raising their kids, the reality of the matter is that they are not. There are a large number of parents who are strictly outright irrational or willfully ignorant of video games who are out there allowing six and eight year old kids to play these games, and there are just as many parents out there who are simply too busy with the reality of every day life to worry about playing these games through themselves, or finding themselves demos of every game their kid could acquire, and seeing which ones their kids are ready to play.

It isn't always so much a matter of a parent purchasing the game for their kids either. Kids find ways of acquiring games they want, as has been proven time and time again in simple questionaires about these sorts of games. Kids as young as twelve tend to have friends who can acquire the game for them, and I imagine few of us are supportive of parents regularly raiding their kids' bedrooms looking for drugs, alcohol, and video games while they are out of the house.

The games may not increase the likelyhood that these kids are going to kill each other, but common sense tells you that young kids are effected by what they see on television and in games, and the more interactivity you have, the more unpredictable the effects it will have on a younger mind. I'm all for free speech, and better parenting, and football on Sundays, but the arguments are getting stale. I play GTAIV and I love the game, but it really is worse than most of the movies and television out there today when you break it down, and we can't reasonably expect parents to get all Orwellian on their kids and keep them safe.

That said, I'd sooner just promote mandatory advertising campaigns dedicated to informing the public about game ratings for popular games that are out on a regular basis created by the companies who design the games themselves. It's been tried before, but every little bit helps, and in my eyes, every ten year old kid who gets denied a copy of Grand Theft Auto by his parents makes me beam with glee.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
but every little bit helps, and in my eyes, every ten year old kid who gets denied a copy of Grand Theft Auto by his parents makes me beam with glee.
this is where I disagree with you. I don't know if it's me having a greater common sense but I was playing counter-strike, a M+ rated game, when I was 12. How did I turn out?

Pretty damn okay. I have no urge to shoot anyone with an AK-47.

My mom bought me Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, an M rated game, which WAS later changed to Ao rated, when it came out. At the time, I was 13 years old. Am I a drug dealer / hitman for hire?

Never crossed my mind (shut up Magus if you read this.)

Regardless, as I said, I was able to control myself when it came to games which, ultimately, didn't have that bad of an effect on me. Maybe it's how I am but I honestly don't see how kids get influenced by games this easily. :\

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I say if the parents dont teach the kinds whats the difference between reality and friction then they dont deserve to be parents.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Whats so bad about M rated games only being available to adults?
Its a good rule in my opinion since it will at least stop SOME kids from playing these games. If they still do, blame the parents for not caring or knowing what their kids do all day long.
I would let my kids play M rated games anyway ... I always played violent videogames and I am not violent in real life at all.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Seriously. Parents need to learn to let go. From what I'm reading, she's willing to not let her kids go to a friends house because they might have GTA 4? Wow... what a ****ty parent.
think of what going on outside and you'll figure and understand them. Its overacted but still they have their fear to lose "the kid" because of it.

Wheres_warren says it.:yes:

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
But there's a difference between the games we played as a kid (like Carmageddon, which just has ridiculous graphics and the people are just pixellated blobs) compared to the games we have now (GTA 4 with realistic animation, AI and physics), so games these days are more realistic, and as such, further blur the line between reality and fiction. I'm not surprised that a modern child would have problems distinguishing between the two.

Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I strongly agree with this ban. It's not a parent's job to decide what their child has access to; what if they choose poorly? The government is the best choice to make the decisions as to what and what is not appropriate its citizens to view.

Videos games today are indistinguishable from the real thing. When you kill a pixelated hooker in-game, you're committing a mortal sin. Won't somebody please think of the children?

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Videos games today are indistinguishable from the real thing. When you kill a pixelated hooker in-game, you're committing a mortal sin. Won't somebody please think of the children?
I so hope you're being sarcastic right now .. else you just lost a lot of points on my personal "people I like" score table..

Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I so hope you're being sarcastic right now .. else you just lost a lot of points on my personal "people I like" score table..
Yes, it's supposed to be ironic. I thought it was pretty clear, but maybe not.. @_@

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom