ZEQ II Lite

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, now that the cat's out of the bag, I thought I'd bring this up here as well.

Anyone really hear about this yet? Some of the guys picked it up a few months ago and decided to finish it for Quake III.

The mod isn't out yet, nor does it have a release date. Sorry. :(

Please enjoy some screenshots:

(Kong is definitely not owning me in the image above. :( )

ZEQ II Lite is super fun, and I know you guys will enjoy it too. Oh, by the way, if you don't know what ZEQ II is, you disappoint me.

Last edited:
ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So....this thing is for real,huh?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Models are top notch.

It says its postponed in their website, so they just continued working on it without updating the postpone announcement?

What does ZEQ stands for, and what is it II, when i cant find the first game.

Best answers
Ahh yes, I expect only a few veterens here to know about it :p

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahh yes, I expect only a few veterens here to know about it :p
Whoa, hey dude! Stop by more often! :)

@Tenzo: yep, this is the real thing.

Last edited:
Best answers
no ****!!!..you're kidding me right?..i've been waiting on ZEQ II since ZEQ I..you just made a random noobs day :cool:

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
That looks quite interesting indeed, I've watched this for a long time but gave up in the end.

Best answers
how long till it gets put back on the shelf..again? :S

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Never. This time it'll actually be released. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoa! Honestly, I never thought I'd hear ZEQ2 news again...

Lite, eh? And on Quake 3? So I'm going to assume all that indie-game-engine stuff that excited us is out the window now? No more of these epic shader-based outlines? No more super-awesome overlays for auras and stuff? No more gigantic environments?

That sucks a bit...feels like what happened with the Crysis Jurassic Park mod. They tried to make their own engine, but it all fell through and now they're back modding for Crysis. Unless you can hack all these features into the Quake3 engine, as the good folks here at ESF did with Goldsource.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This thing has died like 19 times. According to Zeo, at one point even the leader (Er... I forget his name) stated that the project morphed into something that didn't even resemble a game anymore. Good luck to the team, but call me when they release it, I'm not going to follow something with that track record.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I for one know that it'll be completed ;o

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes that's me pwning dam hard coz he sucks balls

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
whats ZEC II ?

edit: Impressive pics thoughts!
:D
ZEQ II is a DBZ mod for Quake III, which "died" when it received a C&D. Most people who've joined the community in the past few years wouldn't know what ZEQ II is.

@Deco: As far as I know, there is only one ZEQ, and that is ZEQ II. I don't think it's an abbreviation, but perhaps Dave, Brad, or someone else can shed a little light on this subject.

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
This thing has died like 19 times. According to Zeo, at one point even the leader (Er... I forget his name) stated that the project morphed into something that didn't even resemble a game anymore. Good luck to the team, but call me when they release it, I'm not going to follow something with that track record.
Died? Not a fracture from 2003-2007 in development. Publically unavailable? Plenty of times.

There was good deal of downtime in 2004-2005 due to oktagone hosting issues. Downtime in 2006 due to DMCA host contacts (which resulted in alternative hosting measures). Project development paused in 2007 due to shifting focus to other more imperative (yet relative) projects.

The "project shift" you are refering to happened in early 2006 which more or less shifted the concept from a game to an interactive research study into NPR technologies. This ended up accomplishing a TREMENDOUS wealth of knowledge/skill in non-photorealistic modeling/texturing/rendering and design adaptation to abstract concepts.

Even without exposure or direct focus, there was never a loss in accomplishment due to the studies being performed.

Lite, eh? And on Quake 3? So I'm going to assume all that indie-game-engine stuff that excited us is out the window now? No more of these epic shader-based outlines? No more super-awesome overlays for auras and stuff? No more gigantic environments?

That sucks a bit...feels like what happened with the Crysis Jurassic Park mod. They tried to make their own engine, but it all fell through and now they're back modding for Crysis. Unless you can hack all these features into the Quake3 engine, as the good folks here at ESF did with Goldsource.
No worries there. The engine and it's sub-projects are still going QUITE strong. Pay heavy note to the appended "lite" label.

The overall idea here was that Dave, myself, and some others would take a small break from our other line of projects and get the old Quake 3 build and content assets from 2005 put to good use to someone. Since the quake 3 version had previously been HEAVILY modified to include a particle physics system, configs that FAR bested Bid For Powers, and tons of heavy art/code/music work from the ZEQ2 team of the past, we figured we might as well polish it up a bit and release.

It will be additionally be ported to the Pandora handheld.

So yes there is a gaping difference between the mechanics, artistic approach, and overall design goals of ZEQ2 and ZEQ2 lite. Years difference. Incidently, the former hasn't been in development in some time due to other project focuses. Additionally, it may end up staying this way to increasing potential legal strife considering the commercial applicability of the engine and it's sub-projects.

For now though a glimpse into what we had years ago (with a bit of spitshine, glitter, and bugfixing) should more than tide over a good selection of people, hopefully.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as I know, there is only one ZEQ, and that is ZEQ II. I don't think it's an abbreviation, but perhaps Dave, Brad, or someone else can shed a little light on this subject.
Shows how much you know.

ZEQ = dragonball Z Enters Quake ^^

Glad to help noobcake ^^

@thread Nice to see it still kicking. I was a member on the forums when they were still up ^^

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
"ZEQ" is an abstract, but hollow/faux acronym.
It technically means nothing (and doesn't intend to), although one fan adaptation (by Darksun actually) was the above that Grega wrote.

More or less it was created by my friend and I deciding to pick two obscure, less common letters, then binding them with a vowel.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
let's hope they don't get shutdown again,I sill say ESF >ZEQ2>TENKAICHI 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom