Your thoughts~

Best answers
Hi, I'm a long time player first time poster~

My thoughts on the game; I think it's a great adaptation from the T.V show, probably the best adaptation of a T.V show to a game I've seen, up there with Alien vs Predator and all the rest of those...

However after playing this on and off for several years, I have to say it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere.. And also that compared to many other half-life mods it slightly lacks a 'fun-factor' other mods have. This is not intended as a criticism, I think the game is awesome.

In this game it's almost 100% based on skill (Unless someone's beam spamming, though that too can be avoided most of the time), so unless you know your stuff you generally get ur a$$ handed to you, or you hand their a$$ to them.

The problem as I see it is that there's really no inbetween - that is; you're either better than them, or they're better than you. In the first case it's rather boring because you know if you mess them up too much they'll either quit, whinge, or resort to some lesser form of fighting (beam spamming) and I don't know about you, but I don't really like giving out free kills just so they can get their PL up.
In the latter case, the game becomes un-enjoyable; since they have more 'skill' than you or a better connection / computer / whatever it is that makes them better than you, you don't really get a chance to play, you just become a sack of meat that gets kicked around and blown up, if they go so far as to ascend as krillin or buu.. well then your best option is to /quit..

This is not so in other mods IE counter-strike, or even half-life where although it's largely based on skill, there is definately still that luck factor also (eg. lucky headshots etc etc) I just dont see it in ESF

Summing up; The game rocks don't get me wrong I love it long time, though quickly becomes tedious and often unenjoyable due to the factors mentioned above.
I'd be interested to hear everyone else's thoughts, feel free to put me in my place etc

[/rant]

-Phantom Lancer

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Id say that advanced melee is a luck factor. Either you hit him or you dont, its not determined by you.

And Ive noticed the skill thing. Even a small diference means a vast difference in score at the end.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with you on that the game is a bit hard for new players, but I don't think the problem is because the game is actually too hard. I personally think the reason ESF is hard for new players is because there isn't any other game that plays like ESF does. I mean, at least with games like CS, if you've played one first person shooter, you've got a really good idea on how CS is going to work. That’s just not the case with ESF. That’s why I want and always wanted an in game tutorial for ESF. It would do the mod loads of good.

I'm sorry to say, that’s really all I agree with you on. As far as skill goes, there is an in-between in ESF, infact, most players who stick with the game are in-between. It goes something like this:

People who flat out suck at the game
People who can own the people who flat out suck at the game (hey thats me!)
People who can own those people (*looks at saru and niko*)

I also don't agree with you on the luck factor. The fact is there is a luck factor in ESF. The entire advanced melee system is all luck o_o.

As for ESF not having that fun factor other mods have, I think ESF is one of the few mods that does have that fun factor. Take CS for example. Great great gameplay, but the fan factor is ruined because you have to wait 2 minutes every time you die....

Just my thoughts on this........

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's also a pain in the but when newbies come in to a server and ask "how do i fly" or "how do i melee" etc. /me tells them to look at the manual so they don't get pwned so much.

It's just sad though to see people start abusing others in servers , newbies also like to think they control some of the public servers by sayying "HEY BEAMS ONLY ***" , it's just sad to see that they think they have so much power over the others in the server and can expect people to play at there worst rather then enjoy the game (unless of course they offer to do some training with that player).

I remember in my newb days i was still able to play at a reasonable level of play regardless of skill , sometimes we all get lucky and our beams did the job to kill the enemy (I remeebr that in 1.1 days at net cafes when there were alot of new players that got kills like that , alot of the new players even nower days still get there luck on kills , even if they didn't know how to detonate the beam).

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well ESF isnt all that hard to learn the basics. The problem is that people dont want to learn. It happend a lot of times that a guy goes mad when you tell him to read the manual. But hope still lives. The people who actualy do read it get better and start killing the people who dont want to do that.

After the people know the basics they can start to look at what better players are actualy doing cause they understand it better.so it makes it easier for them to use that themselvs.

So the question isnt about ESFs fun factor its more of the players lazyness/hardheadness factor

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing I hate about ESF is Advanced Melee. In my opinion, it slows down the game tremendously, and nothing infuriates me more than 3 randoms in a row.

Be that as it may, ESF is the only game that I come back to over and over again. I usually love the speed of the gameplay (sure, its not as fast as it used to be but its a hell of a lot faster than DoD). There's nothing better than having a 1 on 1 and hearing those 2 words before you enter combat: "Ready?" followed by "Go."

About the whole "If you beat someone he cries and will quit the game": Yeah, that's just not true. When i first started playing this game in 1.1, people kicked my ass all over the map. What did I do? I studied what people did. I tried to mimic my opponent in order to learn his moves. I wanted to get better. I find that this is true for a lot of ESF players. Almost everyone wants to learn and get better at the game.

Then again, there are always those few who do whine and call you a hacker or whatever. There are others who actually begin to use hacks and various performance enhancing scripts in order to beat everyone. Those are only a handful of people though.

Overall, this is probably the most best mod I've ever played.

Best answers
Hmm, I agree that the advanced melee system certainly does have a luck factor to it, though the thing is unless someone engages you when your guards down there's no way to force people to use it..

I don't know.. Much to ponder.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem with people complaining is that ESF is so much more open than most other games of its genre. There's many different ways to play the game, and when ill-tempered players are confronted with a different style of playing than they want to adapt to, they decide to throw a hissy fit.

And I don't see a lack of an "in-between" level. When I rarely play, that's probably where I'd categorize myself. I see that level as people that know how to play, and have experience playing, but don't have the skill that comes with dedicating time to playing the game.

Best answers
I dunno Ive had quite a few even, very fun matches. Almost every server i go into EVENTUALLY has someone come in that will be about my skill and we'll just start going for each other. If your havn a prob with this get ta know some of the people thatre challenging and get some contact info and play together...ive made quite a few friends alredy just in my like 3 weeks of playing.

Best answers
I have the evolutionX and the world pack so does anyone know on the world pack if you can transform into a second stage like ss2 and if so if the power level has to be reached in super saiyan form or regular form.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude, you bumped an old ass thread, and then you posted about something that has nothing to with the topic. If you have a question, make your own thread o_O. Since your thread would have gotten closed anyway, I'll give you the answer most people around here give: If you have questions about evm, go to the evm forums and ask there.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with you, this game is based on skill. (E.g. You need to know when and how to swoop to score a hit) and if you have a crappy connection (like a ping of 120) you can't even play this game online because you might miss an arrow and get your ass kicked.
But this all might change with 1.3, we'll see when 1.3 gets released.

Best answers
put the manual infront of their faces, im sick of tellin ppl its in thier directory.....

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, bottom line, ESF has always been a game where you suck for a very long time before you get anywhere. Probably the largest learning curve in any HL mod.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KarrdeKNR said:
Well, bottom line, ESF has always been a game where you suck for a very long time before you get anywhere. Probably the largest learning curve in any HL mod.
everyone still manages to have some fun in the least, I remeber spamming ki attacks like crazy when i was a n00b ;).

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
I agree with you, this game is based on skill. (E.g. You need to know when and how to swoop to score a hit) and if you have a crappy connection (like a ping of 120) you can't even play this game online because you might miss an arrow and get your ass kicked.
But this all might change with 1.3, we'll see when 1.3 gets released.
thats not that true... when i play in american servers i get about... 140-180 ping, and i can still come top in the server, unless there's a good player there, even then i can still hold my own pretty well :fight: .... sorta... its only above 180 that it becomes completely unplayable

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
thats not that true... when i play in american servers i get about... 140-180 ping, and i can still come top in the server, unless there's a good player there, even then i can still hold my own pretty well :fight: .... sorta... its only above 180 that it becomes completely unplayable
I agree the game can be played up to about 200 ping. But if the other players use fast tricks blocklame or that combo bug. Than nothing can help you.

But its playable at the ping of 120

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just to interject randomly for a moment:

The present cvar settings for advanced melee's default speed were tested as playable in up to 140 latency. Afterwards quick attacks become difficult if not impossible to perform consistently and the experience begins to shred.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say it's only hard if you don't know what to do. It took me awhile to understand that there was a 'basic melee' because I had accident;y skipped that part of the tutorial.

But my flash tutorial basically covers everything you need to know about becomming a decent player in ESF. They look at the whole thing, practice in their own server and they should be an alright player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom