Your Thoughts on Wikipedia?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When I tell people I read something on Wikipedia, they automatically assume my facts are wrong.

This bothers me because more often than not, the types of articles I read are true. And the ones that are a bit sketchy, I look out for weasel words and if the citations are worthy. The fact that "anyone can state a fact" is only have true since a lot of articles are constantly getting corrected.

What are your thoughts on Wikipedia? I absolutely love it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A lot of wikipedia has many facts but the only thing that can turn you away from it, is that it can be edited and made to say whatever it wants. Just like when I was doing a report of human birth and it says this. " Woman **** eggs" and that was it. The whole post that was up was gone and that is all it said.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I turn to wikipedia or most, if not all of the information I need on a subject. I personally love it.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wikipedia is actually more accurate then Britannica. Source

Sure, anyone can write the facts, but typically an expert or someone extremely interested in a given subject will only write about that subject. It's not as if I'm going to be writing about advanced mathematics. If I do, you can sure as hell bet that it'll be corrected within hours, if not minutes. Which brings up another point - Wikipedia's mistakes can be corrected. Not so much for Britannica.

I love Wikipedia.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wikipedia made me horribly lazy, which is what I kinda dislike about it.
If I need to know something, I've always got a computer or mobile phone near me.

It's a amassing website though, useful too.
which is why I love it..

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wikipedia is fine for independent study.

Since there's, technically, no standard for deciding who can or cannot contribute to an article, though, it's not fine for citation. The facts may be accurate (at the time they were written, at least) to their source material, but the articles, themselves, are not subject to peer review. That's not to say that no one ever reviews the articles, just that it might not be as rigidly reviewed as, say, a journal article.

Wikipedia has always been my favorite jumping-off point for any topic of interest. If I want to know more, I'll generally try to find a published source of information.

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Wiki is a great reference for all sorts of information.
If your worried about accuracy than I suggest checking other references.

Check this wiki page out.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wikipedia is always great if you try to learn more about a certain topic. But if you have to write something, you should definitly back it up with other sources. Not because Wikipedia is bad, but because most people don't trust your source if it is Wikipedia.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Free education at the push of a button. Apart from the occasional error, whats not to like?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm pretty sure they're buckling down on editing things in or out though. I think it's a very reliable source of information. It's also how I find new bands to listen to on occasion.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
also remember that wikipedia is nazi about citing it's sources. if you want to be sure, check the sources.

I love wikipedia as well.

If you don't want your info discredited because of wikipedia, say you read the citations ;p

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use it if I want to do a little background reading. My teachers discourage using it as a source, with good reason though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom