Your thoughts on Piracy?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah that's the thing with expensive stuff....You have to save up for it if you don't have enough money. I want an iPod touch, but I have to wait until I can raise enough money to afford one.

I know I justify software piracy because I feel it's just not feasible to see amateur teenagers paying hundreds of dollars to make there own creations. I honestly feel that the same does not apply to games. Learning Flash, Photoshop, etc. is a potentially career changing process. People who would have never touched the programs because of the intimidating price now have a way to pick it up, learn from it, and soon become loyal costumers of Adobe. I have never heard of an individual person getting in trouble for pirating software, but music and movies have had there occurrences. The only time I've seen software companies take legal action is when entire companies pirate there stuff.

Video games, on the other hand, do not seem as urgent to have as software in my opinion. I want an iPod touch, but it's expensive as hell, so I am just going to save up. That's what you do with things that are out of you price range.

Just because you can get it for free john doesn't mean you should. Maybe I am being a hypocrite, but just because it takes a chunk out of your pocket doesn't mean you should just resort to pirating. I can totally understand the appeal of the ease of getting something for free instead of paying for it, but perhaps its just that attitude that Maj was talking about that is just disappointing, that gamers feel they are entitled.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because a legal tool such as a vcr allows such a feature to record off streaming and i don't recall anyone ever being fined for recording anything via vcr.
Using a VCR to record a program for yourself is fine. Giving it out afterward is, technically not. For all intents and purposes, I suppose TV programs are a bad analogy; perhaps I should not have pursued it after you posted.

By that same token, though, comparing a recording on a VCR to illegally downloading something is also a flawed comparison. Software is not television programming, and your HDD is not a VCR.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this is the real thing why we do piracy, Who give's USA the right to invad an other contry huh ?if they can invade an other contry why can't we steal from them , an eye for an eye.Do you guys have any ideeas how many ideeas the Americans stolen from us , even the oil draing method was stolen from us and they din't give us anything(his name was Ion Stefan Basgan this far out he will get about 8.6 bilions from 200 oil comapnys)

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL. John, we're talking about the other piracy, as in downloading movies, games, music, etc. Not the pirates who sail on boats and kidnap people.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol. It's true though, because of the very low risk involved in piracy(As long as you do not sell, distribute, ectera), most people do it.

I mean it seems stupid from a logical sense, not moral sense, that I can sit here, and in 30-60 minutes, have something that would have cost me gas, and the money to buy, but right away, and no money gone.

It's just logical in these hard economic times.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so stealing some else ideea and geting credit for it it's not piracy ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
By that same token, though, comparing a recording on a VCR to illegally downloading something is also a flawed comparison. Software is not television programming, and your HDD is not a VCR.
I find it the same, because either way, I don't have to pay for every season of futurama.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True. I can put a DVD in my DVD player, hit record, and bam, that movie that was on TV? Recorded. It's legal and was made to do so. I'm just skipping a lengthy process that is not required.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
on a side note, here in The Netherlands.
It's not illegal to download anything piracy related.

So I guess for me, it's not a crime.. just yet.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so stealing some else ideea and geting credit for it it's not piracy ?
so this guy, he invented the entire idea of digging a hole in the ground to get something out of the ground?

hell, my dogs figured that out as soon as they could walk =P

are they thieves too? do you hate them? what kind of heartless bastard are you?!?!?!?!.

LOOK AT THEM, THEY DONT DESERVE YOUR HATE, YOU MONSTER!!!!

/sarcasm

kidding aside, i wouldnt say stealing someones idea is piracy, while its still theft to some degree, its not exactly the same thing we are discussing here.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so this guy, he invented the entire idea of digging a hole in the ground to get something out of the ground?

hell, my dogs figured that out as soon as they could walk =P

are they thieves too? do you hate them? what kind of heartless bastard are you?!?!?!?!.

LOOK AT THEM, THEY DONT DESERVE YOUR HATE, YOU MONSTER!!!!

/sarcasm

kidding aside, i wouldnt say stealing someones idea is piracy, while its still theft to some degree, its not exactly the same thing we are discussing here.
ideas have to be developed, worked out.
Ideas are copied, not stolen.
Nothing is lost when taken.

I think stealing a idea is pretty much comparable to piracy.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so how come Americans steal from us ideas make's zilions dolers off it , and they have the guts to call us thiefs huh ?

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
John. Please, tell me what you are talking about, we all have no idea what you're talking about. We're talking about PC piracy, such as downloading movies, games, music, ect.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
John. Please, tell me what you are talking about, we all have no idea what you're talking about. We're talking about PC piracy, such as downloading movies, games, music, ect.
I am talking about this it's oki for the americans to steal what they can , like ideas , invade contry's , and other crap like that but it's not oki for us to do piracy , they need to pay up for all of the injustices that americans did to other contrys, so in other works don't have the pirate hate the game

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
John. Make another thread for that, this is about computer piracy, not actual piracy.

Is this about those Pirates getting sniped?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
John, this isn't about America, piracy is illegal in all countries. This is a question about morality.

It's such a grey area imo, I don't think its right to promote piracy as something glorious and progressive, but I don't think that it should be condemned and looked down upon as a great injustice and everyone who does it should be ashamed.

Each case of piracy is different, there are many different forms: "I'll have this for free thanks!", "I would never pay money for this, but I'd check it out anyway", "I'll download this to see if I want to pay for it", "I need this for my college course, but I don't have the $500 it costs", "I need this software to convert/edit/change this one file" the list goes on and on. I don't think you can say that any kind of piracy is justified, but there are certain cases that are more understandable than others.

As it goes for me, I'll pirate anything I need to get the job done, I personally believe all software should be free for personal use, and only require a license for any kind of financial gain, even the student licenses the cost of most packages are ridiculous, and you don't even have the permission to use it for commercial use then. I download the occasional game, but I'll always buy the ones I like, the ones I don't like I tend not to play through. The thing is with games, Is I know the guys on the shop floor get morsels compared to the payment awarded to publishing company's and management. Music, is where my conscience kicks in, though most of the music I listen to now is from 20+ years ago I do like a lot of modern artists too, and I feel guilty about not contributing, especially because most of the music I like is indy and henceforth not too popular. If I had a disposable income, I'd be paying for all these things, but as I'm unemployed I have no chance to do so.

Last edited:
Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's the same here ,if I get a game for free I play it ,if you like it you buy it,if not deleted , what is for personal use sould not be called piracy,only when you try to get a profit on someting you get free it's piracy .

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am talking about this it's oki for the americans to steal what they can , like ideas , invade contry's , and other crap like that but it's not oki for us to do piracy , they need to pay up for all of the injustices that americans did to other contrys, so in other works don't have the pirate hate the game
"I can pirate because America sucks, the people there steal all of our ideas and get rich off us! They invade other countries and stuff, too!"

Worst defense of piracy ever. Take your moronic, blind anti-americanism to another thread. It has nothing to do with this one.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
"I can pirate because America sucks, the people there steal all of our ideas and get rich off us! They invade other countries and stuff, too!"

Worst defense of piracy ever. Take your moronic, blind anti-americanism to another thread. It has nothing to do with this one.
I think I agree with him, invading countries is totally why we can pirate stuff.

I think I'm going to steal your idea John. Here is how i feel about everything:
I am talking about this it's oki for the Romanians to steal what they can , like ideas , invade contry's , and other crap like that but it's not oki for us to do piracy , they need to pay up for all of the injustices that Romanian's did to other contrys, so in other works don't have the pirate hate the game

Copyright: Fire Phoenix 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom