You think Vista's interface looks cool?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That was completely off-topic SS_Vegeta... o_O

Anyways, I can't find a download link for this thing. I want to try it on my testing computa. D:

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Dj^Swift said:
That was completely off-topic SS_Vegeta... o_O

Anyways, I can't find a download link for this thing. I want to try it on my testing computa. D:
http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl

You need to know how to use a CVS or SVN system to check out the source code, and have a linux/other system to compile it on. Good luck ;)

I have to wait a day or so before I can clear off this machine and do a fresh install of linux on it, but hopefully I'll be able to post some screens in a few days.

Edit:

Here's a guide I found:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131267

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
madgik said:
Just a quick note, that guide is for Dapper, which is in development ( so dont expect everything to work nicely on that). This wont work with Breezy because Xorg 7.0 is needed, which wont be back ported to Breezy as I understand. Correct me if Im wrong and missunderstood that.
Yeah you're right, the compix and xgl packages aren't in any of the Breezy repositories... I might test it out in VMWare first to make sure it works ok before I format this box.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With me considering switching over to Debian soon, it's nice to know that linux distros have a nice gui to combat that of vista :').

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, even though I don't have linux, I think this is kinda cool. However, my friend who's a total linux fanboy....well he uses it anyhow, doesn't think much of it simply because it's mostly pretty and less functional. Of course he's of the opinion that the less you see of the OS, the better. Personally, I like it, but what I think is most interesting is the low CPU usage, if that is indeed the case.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SS_Vegeta said:
Man, it's getting a little sweaty in here... Lemme lay down the law.

It's all true, all of it. =D
That's great...

Warning for spam. Also, putting 'moderator' in your user title doesn't make you one.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I found it pretty........USELESS.
Ravendust said:
That's great...

Warning for spam. Also, putting 'moderator' in your user title doesn't make you one.
He is ex-teammember and ex-moderator, so thats why.(Warning bit unnecessary, he's just joking)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm fully aware of that, but I don't believe in special treatment. It was spam, and spam is spam. If you want to continue discussion on this matter then my PM box is just a couple of clicks away.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
KarrdeKNR said:
Yeah, even though I don't have linux, I think this is kinda cool. However, my friend who's a total linux fanboy....well he uses it anyhow, doesn't think much of it simply because it's mostly pretty and less functional. Of course he's of the opinion that the less you see of the OS, the better. Personally, I like it, but what I think is most interesting is the low CPU usage, if that is indeed the case.
Yeah, you can do alot of stuff faster from a command line, which is why you see a "terminal" open in almost every single screenshot of a linux desktop.

Certain things do require a GUI, like image editing, watching movies (although you can do that from a "framebuffer" console), and the like, and XGL is simply a faster alternative to a standard mostly-CPU powered GUI.

--

Off topic:

SS: http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?p=719586#post719586
Me: hahaha
Me: you gonna get banned :O
SS: why?
Me: they're nazi about off-topic posting
SS: who cares?
Me: you'll probably get a warning at least lol
Me: yeah i know i'm just saying
SS: I hope i get banned
SS: it would be funny
Me: haha
SS: wouldnt be the first time ;)
Me: :x
SS: i got banned 2 weeks after the orignal boards went up
Me: oh dear
Me: weren't you one of the original 3 team members?
Me: rofl
SS: yup
I called that one. =D

Best answers
That GUI looks incredible. If only something like it could come out for windows. But seriously, this almost makes me want to try Linux. But then I remember I can't just hit an EXE file and get this installed for me, like most things on Linux... oh bother...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been kinda lazy the last couple days, but I'm gonna finish backing up my music and stuff tonight and format. The sweetness of this interface, plus the fact that i've always kinda wanted to try linux has persuaded me to try and get this thing going when I do format. I'm techinically savvy, but never really used linux before, so hopefully I can figure out linux then figure out how to get XGL going, wish me luck!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Unlike Windows, around linux there are things called COMMUNITIES...

If you really want to try an easy to install distribution of linux, try Ubuntu Linux. It's fairly straight forward to install (assuming you have a basic knowledge of hard drive partitioning) and has a nice package management system that makes it easy to keep everything up to date. If you take your time and read the installation guide/other guides carefully, you should have no issues though.

If you run into problems installing <whatever version you try>, you can join their IRC channel, post on their forums, or post to a mailing list (if you know how), and you'll generally be greeted by very helpful people who don't mind helping out newbies. There's also communities like LinuxQuestions that can cater to newbies as well. At the very least, try to post as much information as you can about your problem/setup if you want the best results.

(Oh, and I hope you have an nVidia card, because ATI is *** and doesn't make linux drivers, which is why most linux nerds say "die before ATI", "nVidia for life" etc.)

Best answers
Bolt you COMPLETE ****ING TOOL. Read man, use those eyes.

Anyway, the creamage of this vid is obvious. Concider this thread BUMPED.

Best answers
OH SWEET LORD!!!!!! *creamage*

This is makin me wanna format one of my 74gig WD raptors and install linux on it...........

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
man that looks awesome *drools*
i really like linux, but unfortunately i'm a gamer.
is there a way of getting games running on linux?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
kam! said:
man that looks awesome *drools*
i really like linux, but unfortunately i'm a gamer.
is there a way of getting games running on linux?
Reputable companies like id Software release linux clients for their games, where newer, inexperienced companies like Valve do not.

If you can't give up gaming, or don't have a seperate machine to install on, I wouldn't recommend linux (for you).

And back on topic:

http://xs70.xs.to/pics/06094/element.jpg

Since everything is being rendered through an opengl abstraction layer, you can take screenshots of video playback without disabling hardware acceleration. !_!

----

XGL is pretty good for software that's not even considered in its "alpha" stages yet, and there a few small annoying issues with it. I'll probably stop using it for a while, but I imagine that in the next 6 months it will have gotten much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom