You think Vista's interface looks cool?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
It has nothing on XGL. (you may want to get a fresh box of tissues before launching this)

http://www.freedesktop.org/~davidr/xgl-demo1.xvid.avi (57.9 megs)

That's completely rendered by your graphics card (even a 4-5 year old card can run it), so 0% CPU load. Requires less CPU to render than XP's interface, haha.

OpenGL > DirectX (always has been, always will be)

O/

Gonna install it later this morning and test it out.

Edit:

Here's a guide I found to install it on Ubuntu Linux:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131267

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
vista is nothing new anyway, since it was mostly stolen off apple

wouldn't surprise me if MS released windows with an "aqua" theme (since all their fanboys like making their **** look like a mac haha)

O/

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy crap O_O.

3-dimensional desktop = awesome

I especially love the part near the end where he made that blue ripple water gaseous thing move around in the background while he screwed around with dos.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I sooooooo want that. But considering that I am so confused on how to install it, and that I don't even know if you can use it on windows or if it's only for linux, i'm just gonna avoid the inevitable disaster that i'm sure i'll create and pretend I don't want it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
May I get some screens? remember i'm on dial up :'(.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Dj^Swift said:
Won't open. I got the latest DivX Codec..
Note in the filename it says XVID... you need XVID not DiVX

And that isn't DOS, it's called a "terminal" (you can completely control linux and do ANYTHING from a terminal). It's faster to launch programs and manipulate files from the terminal than by using a GUI. And fyi, he was setting a MOVIE to be his wallpaper

The way linux display works (in a nutshell) is like this:

Code:
Linux Kernel -> X-server -> Your "Window Manager"
Linux Kernel = the "core" of the OS, equivalent of kernel32.dll in windows for the most part
X-server = provides a graphical layer to linux
Your "Window Manager" = the actual "shell" enviroment you work in, yes you get to pick your own shell (and not skin the crappy default one like windows)

(Examples of window managers: KDE, GNOME, XFCE4, etc. There's a ton of them)

This XGL thing is a replacement for the standard X-server that is entirely OpenGL accelerated. That's why he can pull off all those insane effects with no performance penalty.

Since this is for linux/solaris/whatever, none of you guys will probably ever get to use it, unless you are daring enough to test out something like Ubuntu Linux and have a nerdy friend help you setup XGL. :p

I came across this earlier and decided to show it, so that you can take all the "revolutionary Directx10-enhanced interface!" crap from Vista with a grain of salt. There's better stuff out there already that can work with much older hardware.

More info (and a screenshot for Overlord) here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGL

Best answers
Yeah, you have any screenshots. I am also on dial-up.

@Overlord - Dude, if you right click on the link Kurt gave us in his first post and click "save target as" then you can save the movie on your compy. But beware, it is over 50mb.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
/me sniffs

Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children, Batman Begins?

/me sniff

Do I smell a Pirate? :p

Yeah, looks awesome. I'm kinda considering of getting Vista woo \o\

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it looks awesome, but I hope it's actually functional too, instead of just pretty. ;p

Bolteh2

B
Oh my god.. Microsoft first stole the GUI concept from Apple... Now all these years later, they do it again by stealing the MacOS X (and later) interface..

The bar on top, the smooth transitions between windows, the easy switch between different apps by giving you an overview of what's open..

Thank god it still has noobified features that defines Microsoft (and shows that Apple is way ahead)..
What's the use of having that extremely ugly movement effect when dragging windows? I for one drag a lot of windows while working, if all of them started wobbling like that, I'd die of a headache (and make lots of people happy, but doesn't matter right now)..
What's the use of having stuff float over your screen all the time? Nobody will use that, unless it's a clueless parent that only uses the computer for word and internet.. But then again, why would anyone like that have Vista?
It still has the fat icons and buttons we know of windows. God, I hate the fact that the standard windows layout clutter all over your screen just because of the size..

Only thing missing here is the Apple Dock.. That little feature still makes me like MacOS a lot better than Windows..

Conclussion: Microsoft shows once again they're unoriginal as **** by stealing (nother) Apple product.

Edit:
Only thing I do like btw, is the cuve effect when switching between screens.. But then again, MacOS X had that feature in an addon/plugin.. So nothing special there anyway

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Bolteh said:
Oh my god.. Microsoft first stole the GUI concept from Apple... Now all these years later, they do it again by stealing the MacOS X (and later) interface..

The bar on top, the smooth transitions between windows, the easy switch between different apps by giving you an overview of what's open..

Thank god it still has noobified features that defines Microsoft (and shows that Apple is way ahead)..
What's the use of having that extremely ugly movement effect when dragging windows? I for one drag a lot of windows while working, if all of them started wobbling like that, I'd die of a headache (and make lots of people happy, but doesn't matter right now)..
What's the use of having stuff float over your screen all the time? Nobody will use that, unless it's a clueless parent that only uses the computer for word and internet.. But then again, why would anyone like that have Vista?
It still has the fat icons and buttons we know of windows. God, I hate the fact that the standard windows layout clutter all over your screen just because of the size..

Only thing missing here is the Apple Dock.. That little feature still makes me like MacOS a lot better than Windows..

Conclussion: Microsoft shows once again they're unoriginal as **** by stealing (nother) Apple product.

Edit:
Only thing I do like btw, is the cuve effect when switching between screens.. But then again, MacOS X had that feature in an addon/plugin.. So nothing special there anyway
?

That's a video of linux, not windows lol

Kurt said:
I came across this earlier and decided to show it, so that you can take all the "revolutionary Directx10-enhanced interface!" crap from Vista with a grain of salt. There's better stuff out there already that can work with much older hardware.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bolteh said:

Edit:
That was a rant and a half. It's just unfortunate that uhhh, Microsoft didn't make that.

Bolteh2

B
Well, sorry, just read "Vista" and downloaded that movie.. Replace every Microsoft and Windows with Linux and you have a (mostly) correct post.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Unfortunately,

X originated at MIT in 1984. The current protocol version, X11, appeared in September 1987.
X11 (the X-server I mentioned above) is older than Windows 3.0 :p

Nobody is stealing anything. haha

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Looks really good, i must admit Awesome!. Didn't microsoft released a "theme" change for windows XP that looks like Vista?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Lisa isn't the Apple 1 built in 76.

Either way, both Microsoft and Apple were interested in stealing the GUI interface from Xerox, which they both did.

Wikipedia said:
The Lisa was first introduced in January 1983 (announced on January 19) at a cost of $9,995 US ($19,000 in 2005 dollars). It was one of the first commercial personal computers to have a GUI and a mouse.

Best answers
Man, it's getting a little sweaty in here... Lemme lay down the law.

The Bible said:
The SS_Vegeta was originally created when the Lord Almighty pimp-slapped the Cursed One from Heaven. Where he struck the earth appeared three wonderous manifestations of magic and wonder: Coffee, Donuts, and SS_Vegeta.
It's all true, all of it. =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom