Xbox Live Threat Results in Arrest

Best answers
Xbox Live Threat Results in Arrest
by Chris Faylor Dec 13, 2007 1:11pm CST
Comments made in the midst of an online match in Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC, PS3, X360) led to the arrest of college student Allieu Shaw earlier this week, reports the Cumberland Times-News.

Shaw, a Frostburg State University student who resides in West Virgina, was playing the game on Xbox Live with the Oregon-based Kaipo Damurand, and the two were communicating via voice chat. Shaw apparently threatened to begin "shooting up the school," and Damurand notified police of the comment.

While police worked with Xbox Live operator Microsoft to track down the location from which the threat originated, area schools were warned of a possible hostile action and operated under a state of alert. Both school staff and students were notified that a threat had been made.

Once arrested, Shaw claimed the threat was a joke, and no weapons were found in his immediate possession. In addition to being temporarily suspended from school, he is being charged with two counts of disrupting a school operation, which, at most, can result in one year in jail and a fine of up to $5,000.
some people are just plane stupid. even if he was 'kidding' i hope he rots.

OH NOES!!!! JACK TOHMPSON WILL LOVE THIS!!!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Although it's pretty stupid to make a joke like that in this day and age, I think they went bit far with his punishment. They found him, they checked him out and they didn't find anything. I'm sure he was reprimanded and I'm sure he feels like a **** now. That really shouldn't have been enough to get him suspended from school and charged with "disrupting a school operation", though. It just feels like thought crime has become a reality. These kinds of threats should definitely be taken seriously, but if there's no merit to what was claimed other than him actually saying it, they should have just left it at that and moved on.

Best answers
I agree. They should have given him a stern warning after finding no guns within his possession.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't like how stuff like this influences Norway. Just the last two months we've had three similar cases, with threats to schools around the country. I am very, very happy getting guns is hard here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom