Writing question

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I've had this question on my mind for quite some time, unfortunately there's no teacher in sight for whom I could ask, so:

I remember being told that you shouldn't use smaller versions of words (I forgot the exact name).

Example:

Shouldn't = Should not
Can't = Cannot
It's = It is
Wouldn't = Would not

I hope that gives you an idea of what I'm trying to ask. Anyway, I was told that it's not "professional" to write those as I showed and that you should actually spell out both words ("Shouldn't" should be "should not"). So what are the rules for the usage?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Depends. In a formal essay, you shouldn't use contractions and etc.

But in dialouge (where two characters talk to eachother), it would be ok.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it's for school, it's generally a good idea not to use contractions.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Contractions are a valid part of speech, however, in any type of writing you want to avoid their usage unless writing is emulating speech . . . which has already been mentioned as diaolgue.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the replies. I just wasn't sure since I was told different things about the usage of contractions, but I'm glad that's cleared up now. Thanks a lot for the replies.

Edit

Now that I think of it, would typing in these forums (or any forum for that matter) be formal or more of the lines of emulating dialogue?

Best answers
Formal = business letters/dialogue/communication.. A forum on the net isn't formal :)

Just don't use "u", "r", "cuz", "wiff", etcetcetc..

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright; I usually don't substitue "you" for "u" since there's no point and there's no time to be saved while typing a reply/making a new thread.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. If anyone wants to add on, feel free to do so.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
Formal = business letters/dialogue/communication.. A forum on the net isn't formal :)

Just don't use "u", "r", "cuz", "wiff", etcetcetc..
But when you think of it, the word "forum" sought of comes from "formal" =P.

I really don't like seeing people use internet slang a lot, I don't mind it on a im program, but even then in most cases it becomes a bit of an annoyance. It annoys me when people on this forum too do it, & I usually only end up reading half of their post & read through it quickly to get to what they are sayying, I'll also do the thing if they post with some sought of attitude that I might find annoyying through out the context of their post.

I myself am not the brightest speeler, however if for any given reason I find it impossible to spell something I then try to come up with a different set of words to use.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's also times it sounds weird NOT to use it.

Should not you be doing something?
-OR-
Shouldn't you be doing something?

Both are technically correct, but the first one just sounds off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom