Writer's Strike...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is annoying me. I support what they're doing and whatnot, but give me my ****ing shows. Heroes, 24, The Unit, and more are delayed. :cry:

But what confuses me is: don't they write the story before filming? I'm confused because 24 Day 7 already has a trailer out (well, it was out in the UK, until Fox killed the YouTube leak). The Unit and Heroes, well, those are already on the air and well into each season. Heroes had to cut season two short and split it into two volumes because of the strike. I mean wtf?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Is annoying me. I support what they're doing and whatnot, but give me my ****ing shows. Heroes, 24, The Unit, and more are delayed. :cry:

But what confuses me is: don't they write the story before filming? I'm confused because 24 Day 7 already has a trailer out (well, it was out in the UK, until Fox killed the YouTube leak). The Unit and Heroes, well, those are already on the air and well into each season. Heroes had to cut season two short and split it into two volumes because of the strike. I mean wtf?
It's T.V, you'll live.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some people seem to not be able to live without this forum though. Guess we all care about something.

What is this writers strike about anyway, i don't understand...

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Essentially the writers have been working on a temporary concession since 1980 (or round about). Now they were working without a contract. They wanted an ammendment to the temporary concession (which was literally something along the lines of 3 cents for every $40 TV season DVD) and they wanted some kind of new recompense for "new media" (DLing episodes legally off of NBC's website cost money, and ABC and CBS are ad supported, either way, the writers currently get zilch for these outlets.) which the networks were absolutley not willing to debate on. This of course gave the union reason to strike.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, he has a good point.
After I had already said that I support what they're doing, I'm just annoyed that it's taking them so damn long. Yeah, he has a way of pointing out the obvious. It was a stupid and completely irrelevant point.

@ Skiwan - WGA Strike

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was a pretty relevant point considering you're complaining about not being able to watch television shows. I'm not affected by the strike so I can't really empathize with your...eh...loss.

The strikers should hold out for as long as it takes to get what they want. It's not like they're asking to be paid in the same exact fashion that authors are paid. They just want a little something something every time their script is used or reused. Sounds fair to me. They wrote the damn thing. Why shouldn't they own what they wrote?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In my opinion they should've been smarter about it. If they had finished all the writing of Heroes and so forth early, then held the writing hostage, the fans would solve the whole problem for the writers.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if the writers had done all the work already, their bosses could've held out for a much longer period of time without feeling concerned about getting the shows out on time. By not doing anymore writing and holding the future of shows like Heroes hostage, there's a greater sense of urgency and a greater chance that they'll surrender and give the writers what they want.

Let's say we're bank robbers and we have 30 hostages, one of them being the Mayor of Shagtown. The cops are outside pleading with us to let the hostages go, and we say they're not going anywhere unless we get what we want. If we were to just let all of the hostages go right then, what's to stop the cops from charging in, guns blazing? Absolutely nothing. There'd be SWAT all over the bank in seconds. But if they know we have a high profile hostage and are willing to shoot him, they'll listen and try to reason with us, or even give us what they want up until the point where we all get shot. The writers need to keep Heroes and whatever other popular shows are out there hostage if they want to win.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...what the hell are you on about? That's exactly what I said, and you're making it out as if I said the total opposite...

I'm sorry, I should have added "if they wrote it, and didn't hand it in".

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You did say the exact opposite. Once again, you're just adding to your post after the fact and pretending I should have been telepathic and known what you truly meant in your mind while disregarding what you actually said. I'm getting tired of you turning every single post into a confrontation. I know your name is Avenger and everything, but really, there's nothing for you to avenge here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not avenging, just correcting. I wrote exactly what I wrote in my last post, in the post before that - and I repeat myself - what are you on about? "If they had finished it early, then held the writing hostage", what part of that implies giving the writing to the networks? -_- Again, you misunderstand my post on purpose.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're right, I did misread your original post, and you're still completely wrong.

Once you write the script, it's no longer yours. What is so hard to understand about that? You work for a company where anything you write is that company's property. Why do you think they didn't write it in the first place? For the fun of it? It's like how Todd Mcfarlane didn't write Spawn until after he left Marvel. Why? Because had he created Spawn while still with them, Spawn would be owned by that company. They did it the smart way, and you're suggesting they do something illegal, and that would only serve to hurt their cause.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not having awesome television shows has a negative effect on my IQ. US TV owns my brain. ;(

Force Pit Member
Best answers
In my opinion they should've been smarter about it. If they had finished all the writing of Heroes and so forth early, then held the writing hostage, the fans would solve the whole problem for the writers.
I've never read anything more funny on these forums. The sheer stupidity that is this paragraph makes me laugh. Thank you.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While you're waiting for whatever shows are on now, look up Californication. It's a pretty awesome show and the season ended already so you have 11 or 12 episodes ready to be watched at your leisure. If you want a space-opera type show, look up the latest run of Battlestar Galactica (if you haven't already) and watch all three seasons. I didn't like it at first but Magus seemed to be pretty excited about it so I kept going and it only got better.

Or you could read the Dune series which will blow your mind. I read the original series for the first time when I was 11-ish and have read them all once a year, every year, since then. Ubik and 1984 are also great books.

There's plenty of existing media and entertainment to catch up on while waiting for mainstream television shows to get their act together.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never read anything more funny on these forums. The sheer stupidity that is this paragraph makes me laugh. Thank you.
Please stick to one account whoever you are, if its not the 'nix' at play here, fairly sure its one of his minions.

To whatever other worldly force at play here: If somebody is displeased about some of their favourite shows being delayed, they have every right to come on here and tell us their opinion. We wish to welcome and embrace activity from users, not ridicule them into stupid arguments for the sake of people getting their sordid pleasures. There's really no acceptable reason to belittle and criticise their topic choice to stroke your own ego.

There are plenty of other forums around, you might like to try them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, coincidentally I've already went through Californication - and I agree, amazing show. Been meaning to pick up a book or two lately, but I just don't have the time.

Davidskiwan, Vox Dei is the 'nix'. o: Well, unless he's edited all the posts where he admits to being 'nix'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom