Wrath of the Dragon (Movie #13)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Usually I'm pretty quick about picking up the films as soon as they're released (ZStore), but I've been broke lately so a friend of mine and I had to trade in some old games and DVD's for cash to pick Wrath of the Dragon up at Best Buy. The film, as mentioned before, seemed slightly too dramatic than it needed to be, but overall it was a pretty good dub of the Japanese film; "The Dragon Fist Assault"--average music (too light for battle, if you ask me), an excellent voice for Tapion, and some of the actors' voices sounded a bit shabby (Sabat).

"Long ago, an evil magician used his powers to bring a statue to life, creating the monster Hirudigarn! It was only through the use of two magic whistles that Hirudigarn was defeated and peace returned to the galaxy. Two courageous brothers, Tapion & Minosha, took control of the whistles and sealed them along with their own bodies in magic boxes, which were cast out into the galaxy so Hirudigarn could never be revived again. But when a mysterious stranger Hoy arrives on Earth with the secret of Hirudigarn's revival, the Z Fighters must turn to Tapion himself to answer Hoy's dangerous threats. Tapion has once before sacrificed his well-being to save the universe. With Hirudigarn destroying everything in sight Goku, Trunks & Goten must battle like never before to save the planet."

What I want to know is who wrote that description. Since when do Trunks & Goten play such big parts in the story? Even for a movie description it seems a bit over overstated to me. I mean, as SS3, Gotenks was more powerful than Goku & Vegeta, but Gohan was supposed to be stronger than all of them. There are far too many plotholes & inconsistencies following Toriyama's later sagas.

According to Toriyama: Mystic Gohan > SS3 Gotenks > SS3 Goku > SS2 Vegeta > Piccolo > (SS Trunks > SS Goten - who are also obsolete)

So how is it that a fusion of SS3 lasting 30 minutes (which only lasted 2 minutes before being split from surface impact) inflicted more damage to Hirudigarn than an Elder Kai power up, which was supposedly a power far greater than SS3 (even a fusion)? I mean, Gohan hardly put up a fight. And what was Vegeta doing the entire film? Doing latenight paperwork at Capsule Corp? "It's my first day off in a month!" Yeah that's hilarious. Vegeta the business man. In any case, I was disappointed Piccolo wasn't in this film, either. I'd suggest replacing Piccolo with Goten & Trunks (at least on the battle field). But I suppose watching children get a smack down is also occasionally amusing. The film's ending was actually quite great, Goku's "Dragon Fire" was apparently the greatest attack in the show.

Anyone else watch this yet?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DBZ movie 13 "Exploding Dragonfist" or was it super dragonfist.

In any case that name suited it nicely. Dunno why they have to change the name for a meare remake >.>

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw the English version. Meh, I thought this one lacked a good plot. None of it really wowed me or made me laugh like Rebirth of Fusion did. Hirudegarn seemed like a really stupid villain, completely non DBZ-esque. He was tough sure, but he never displayed any sort of power which looked like it would actually blow the planet up. The Tapion/Trunks subplot was alright, but that being the case, it seemed like Goku was a side character till that last attack.

It was kind of disappointing to see that the last DBZ movie was so very lacking. I think it would have done me better to see one last threat perhaps midway or right after Goku starts training Uub. Perhaps even making the whole movie centered on Uub, showing his family and his island home, and presenting a threat to Earth in which the new heroes (ie: Uub, Goten, Trunks, maybe Pan) would establish themselves as the new Earth's Special Forces. I dunno, something with more closure and less Hollywood would have been better I think.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw it yesterday, and I prefer the original.

The music was made to be more like the Japanese version which wasn't too bad, though Tapions flute music was completely changed and that irritated me. They added some kind of ensemble instead of keeping the simplicity that it originally had.

The video quality seemed to have stayed the same as the Japanese version, meaning that FUNimation didn't try upping the color contrast as they did with previous movies.

The voices aren't the same as they used to be, which is something that can't really be avoided. With that said, Tapions voice was weird.

Of course, this wasn't the best movie out of the bunch.

I didn't watch through the whole English version but there was no point since I already saw the Japanese version. The only reason for watching the rest of it is to poke fun at FUNimation for how they dub anime while relentlessly compare the English version and the Japanese version.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, at least Vegeta and Goku both had some intense lines, and Funimation decided not to have Trunks constantly referring to Tapion as "brother" which annoyed the living Hell outta me in the Japanese version.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Well, at least Vegeta and Goku both had some intense lines, and Funimation decided not to have Trunks constantly referring to Tapion as "brother" which annoyed the living Hell outta me in the Japanese version.
Actualy if i remember corectly Trunks refered to Tapion as brother all the time in the jap version.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought that's what I said 0_o

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
I thought that's what I said 0_o
Oh i thought you said he called him brother in the english version to >.<

My bad.

/me hasnt seen the english version yet.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, what would of been better is ethier Goku, Gohan, Vegeta or Goten/Trunks (one of them) going ape, then they actually would of been of simlar size to begin with. I am dissapointed in Funimation renaming the attack to Dragonfire, given the fact that it was called Dragon fist throughout GT and in various dbz games.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's no way.

Don't bring your arrogant act into this thread. If you have proof to back up that statement then let's see it. This was stated by Akira Toriyama himself at some point in the manga during the Majin Buu Saga, so prove otherwise.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Revitalized Prince said:
Don't bring your arrogant act into this thread. If you have proof to back up that statement then let's see it. This was stated by Akira Toriyama himself at some point in the manga during the Majin Buu Saga, so prove otherwise.
Well I wasn't really saying it in that kinda way, Think about it, Gohan got his but wupped against Gotenks Buu, Kid Buu is stronger then Gotenks Buu, SSJ 3 Goku was able to stay aboard the boat for about 30 min, If Mystic Gohan doesn't stand a chance against Gotenks Buu then how is he stronger then SSJ 3 Goku if Goku stands a chance against Kid Buu.

But I was just thinking about it, if Akira said it then it must be true, I just don't see how.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kid Buu is stronger then Gotenks Buu
You don't know much about Dragon Ball at all.

Well I wasn't really saying it in that kinda way, Think about it, Gohan got his but wupped against Gotenks Buu, Kid Buu is stronger then Gotenks Buu, SSJ 3 Goku was able to stay aboard the boat for about 30 min
Nope.

1) SS3 Goku took a whack at Super Buu (Gotenks) before he attempted the Potarra earring fusion with Gohan--he lasted a few seconds, whereas Gohan had been fighting the entire time Goku was sitting around on the Kai's planet.
2) The Elder Kai (Mystic) 'power' all around was far more useful than Super Saiyan 3--it didn't create a strain on the Gohan's energy supply (like Super Saiyan did in the past for all Saiyans), and he could increase his strength to its maximum at will, instantaneously, without any sort of long & unecessary 'power-up' to put large amounts of energy at his disposal.
3) You're basing this entire debate on Gohan's battle with Super Buu (Gotenks)? Regardless of how irrelevant this battle is, haven't you already seen the amount of inconsistencies there were in the anime?

If Mystic Gohan doesn't stand a chance against Gotenks Buu then how is he stronger then SSJ 3 Goku if Goku stands a chance against Kid Buu
Super Buu (Gotenks) > Kid Buu, whether you believe it or not. Super Buu (Gohan) was the strongest form of Buu, that is why the strongest fighter in Dragon Ball history fought him (Vegito).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Revitalized Prince said:
You don't know much about Dragon Ball at all.

Nope.

1) SS3 Goku took a whack at Super Buu (Gotenks) before he attempted the Potarra earring fusion with Gohan--he lasted a few seconds, whereas Gohan had been fighting the entire time Goku was sitting around on the Kai's planet.
2) The Elder Kai (Mystic) 'power' all around was far more useful than Super Saiyan 3--it didn't create a strain on the Gohan's energy supply (like Super Saiyan did in the past for all Saiyans), and he could increase his strength to its maximum at will, instantaneously, without any sort of long & unecessary 'power-up' to put large amounts of energy at his disposal.
3) You're basing this entire debate on Gohan's battle with Super Buu (Gotenks)? Regardless of how irrelevant this battle is, haven't you already seen the amount of inconsistencies there were in the anime?

Super Buu (Gotenks) > Kid Buu, whether you believe it or not. Super Buu (Gohan) was the strongest form of Buu, that is why the strongest fighter in Dragon Ball history fought him (Vegito).

Ohh really? Didn't know that, you proved you point.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
from my opinion this is 2nd worst dbz movie i've seen :/
watched both eng, and jap versions, eng version cutted out alots of scenes -_-
also, its so annoing that goten and toranks cant do nothing than just jerk around...
so basically i dont like any movies after 10(and just a bit about 10th movie)
but everyone has its own taste, for me this was just like a "digimon movie"
pathetic.. and its so stupid also to have such forms as ssj3 etc..
its just stupid, ur hair just grows up o_O, they should have just sticked with Ssj daini dankai(aka ussj), Ssj Dainaki Danai(aka ssj level 3, not ssj3!), ssj2....
so the flute and saiyaman thing just decreased the movie rate for me.
and that Tapion guy, wtf was it about?! didnt make sense at all for me :/

2/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom